Broomhouse

I love football

1 hour ago, I love football said:

Hearing today that Broomhouse have officially folded, how sad is it that another we’ll established amateur side has gone.

What do you feel the reason is for so many amateur and youth sides folding ?

As a complete outsider to amateur football, but a close follower of the Scottish game from bottom to top, it just seems to me that the lack of a tangible club must contribute, be it a social club, ground, club house etc. When a Junior team loses its manager, committee or the bulk of its players it goes on. It happens that Junior clubs go, but it's a rare occurance. There's something there for people to stand behind or next to. The amateurs in some cases seems to link continuation with a certain coach or group of players.  On the other hand some clubs have gone on for years and will continue. I haven't touched on player commitment and maybe that's the biggie but losing lots of players is not something that only happens in the amateurs. If they're a big group of mates and that's the core of the team then it's a bigger problem I guess.

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:03, cmontheloknow said:

The amateurs in some cases seems to link continuation with a certain coach or group of players.

I've seen that scenario with a couple of amateur clubs. You need to refresh things a little but every year to ensure continuity.

Also the fact that loads of clubs and pubs have folded over the last few decades wont help at all , at the top level junior clubs can rely on crowds paying money to get in a reasonable source of income , most amateur teams rely on local pubs for sponsorship,  lots of these pubs have closed down and the remaining ones due to huge overheads and being empty most days of the week are really finding every penny a prisoner and maybe no longer find it easy to dig in and help clubs out.

A lot of clubs though are maybe paying the price for cliques over the years and not bringing in new players one by one, all of a sudden the vast majority of mates reach mid thirties and finish playing and the club become defunct , whatever the reasons are its sad to see .

17 hours ago, Jimmy Gentles said:

Also the fact that loads of clubs and pubs have folded over the last few decades wont help at all , at the top level junior clubs can rely on crowds paying money to get in a reasonable source of income , most amateur teams rely on local pubs for sponsorship,  lots of these pubs have closed down and the remaining ones due to huge overheads and being empty most days of the week are really finding every penny a prisoner and maybe no longer find it easy to dig in and help clubs out.

A lot of clubs though are maybe paying the price for cliques over the years and not bringing in new players one by one, all of a sudden the vast majority of mates reach mid thirties and finish playing and the club become defunct , whatever the reasons are its sad to see .

The other side of the coin regarding bringing new players in one by one, guys want to play, if you bring someone into the team they dont want to sit on the bench, no one does, but when you have no loyalty to anyone in the team its easier to f**k off and find a team they either have pals in or will get a game, 

Unless you are a large community type team, you'll rely on pals coming in, and maybr bringing other pals, eventually you exhaust all available pals

Archived