The Scottish Football 18/19 season simulation 16 teams

Rosco4

By ‘simulation’ I do not mean anything on a computer, no no. This simulation is going to take place on the same matchdays as the current SPFL.

On each match day, teams have been randomly drawn to play each other, I compiled this fixture list a while back, before the 18/19 fixtures were released. On each matchday, however many goals are scored by said team, is how many they score in the simulation, for that game week, against whichever opponent they have that week. 

For example; 

SPFL Matchday 1 -

Celtic 4 - 0 Livingston

Hibernian 2 - 1 Motherwell

The teams will all score the same amount of goals they scored in the real SPFL Match & the simulated match for each game week.

Simulated Matchday 1 -

Hibernian 2 - 4 Celtic

Motherwell 1 - 0 Livingston

I hope this clears up the basics of this little project I’m doing, this thread will be updated after every Matchday with the updated league table & Fixtures for the next round of games.

For consistency sakes, I am only going to be simulating the top 2 divisions, however teams in the current SPFL League 2 will still have a chance at promotion come the end of the season.

The teams competing in each division for the 2018/2019 season are as follows -

Premiership -

Aberdeen

Celtic

Dundee

Dundee United

Dunfermline Athletic

Hamilton Accies

Hearts

Hibernian

Livingston

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

Partick Thistle

Rangers

Ross County

St. Johnstone

St. Mirren

Championship -

Airdrieonians

Alloa Athletic

Arbroath

Ayr United

Brechin City

Dumbarton

East Fife

Falkirk

Forfar Athletic

Greenock Morton

Inverness CT

Montrose

Queen of the South

Raith Rovers

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Edited by Rosco4

On 08/06/2018 at 02:59, Rosco4 said:

3x leagues of 16, premiership, championship & Third Division, regionalisation after this.

Each league uses the same format.

All 16 teams will play each other once at home and once away for the first 30 games. After this, the league will be split into 4, 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. These teams will then play each other twice more, once at home and once away, bringing a nice grand total of 36 games per season. 

In the premiership, 1st qualifies for the champions league first qualif round while 2nd automagically qualifies for europa league first qualif round. The teams ranked 3-6 will then play 2 legged play offs (3v6 & 4v5) with the winners then playing another 2 legged play off to decide the final Europa league spot. If the Scottish cup winner happens to be one of the teams ranked 1-6 in the final league standings, the team in 7th will then participate in the europa league play offs, again 4v7 & 5v6.

The teams that finish 1-10 in the premiership will receive a by to the knockout rounds of the betfred cup, this gives the end of season games between teams ranked 9-12 which don’t have much to play for a little bit more meaning 

teams finishing 15th & 16th will be automatically relegated, with 14th going into a play off with 3-5th in the championship, I’ll get on to this in a bit.

all in all for the premiership this means that 9 of the 16 finishing spots mean something.

The championship works mostly the same way with the europa league play offs being replaced by promotion play offs. Top 2 go up automatically with 3rd-5th going into the play-offs along with 14th place in the prem. teams will play 2 legged semis (3v5 & 4v14) with the winners playing a 2 legged final, with the winner of that gaining promotion/maintaining their premiership status. Relegation works exactly the same, 2 automatically down, 14th goes into the play off. For the top 10 teams in the championship (+all premiership sides) they will all receive a by to the Scottish cup second round. Again, this will increase competitiveness in the games between the teams ranked 9-12.

the third tier works nearly exactly the same as the championship, promotion works exactly the same way, while there is no extra incentive this time for the top 10 teams. At the bottom, the bottom 3 go down with the winners of each regional league get promoted.

This format still assures you of 4 OF games a season (unless something goes horribly wrong for one of them) and it should increase competitiveness across all leagues. 

For anyone asking what the format of the league is.

Edited by Rosco4

W1 Fixtures

Premiership -

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Celtic v Ross County

Dundee United v Hearts

Hamilton v Kilmarnock

Hibernian v Dunfermline

Partick Thistle v Livingston

St. Johnstone v Rangers

St. Mirren v Dundee

Championship -

Alloa Athletic v Inverness CT

Brechin City v Stranraer

East Fife v Ayr United

Falkirk v Greenock Morton

Forfar v Arbroath

Montrose v Airdrieonians

Queen of the South v Stenhousemuir

Raith Rovers v Dumbarton

Edited by Rosco4

18 minutes ago, The Nightfly said:

Remember that you can't have the Glasgow teams or Edinburgh teams both at home on the same day ! emoji6.png

& the Dundee teams as well, I’ve made sure where possible that one is home & the other is away.

49 minutes ago, The Nightfly said:

Remember that you can't have the Glasgow teams or Edinburgh teams both at home on the same day ! emoji6.png

30 minutes ago, Rosco4 said:

& the Dundee teams as well, I’ve made sure where possible that one is home & the other is away.

I'd be tempted to leave any cross-city fixture clashes in place - you could deduct points, or even expel teams from the league, as punitive measures for any simulated cheery sectarian banter, looting or rioting that took place...

13 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

I'd be tempted to leave any cross-city fixture clashes in place - you could deduct points, or even expel teams from the league, as punitive measures for any simulated cheery sectarian banter, looting or rioting that took place...

For added realism, when it occurs in the Old Firm matches, he should just ignore it, pretend it didn't happen then send out a media release praising the fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 1 Results...

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Motherwell

Celtic 3 - 1 Ross County

Dundee United 2 - 4 Hearts

Hamilton 1 - 2 Kilmarnock

Hibernian 3 - 3 Dunfermline

Partick Thistle 0 - 1 Livingston

St. Johnstone 0 - 1 Rangers

St. Mirren 2 - 1 Dundee

Alloa Athletic 0 - 1 Inverness CT

Brechin City 0 - 1 Stranraer

East Fife 0 - 2 Ayr United

Falkirk 0 - 2 Greenock Morton

Forfar 1 - 4 Arbroath

Montrose 0 - 3 Airdrieonians

Queen of the South 2 - 1 Stenhousemuir

Raith Rovers 1 - 2 Dumbarton

I’m down south of the border at the moment, but for what it’s worth, the updated tables will be posted when I’m back, most likely Monday

Week 2 Fixtures -

Dundee v Aberdeen

Dunfermline v Dundee United

Hearts v St. Mirren

Kilmarnock v Celtic

Livingston v Hibernian

Motherwell v Hamilton

Rangers v Partick Thistle

Ross County v St. Johnstone

Airdrieonians v Falkirk

Arbroath v East Fife

Ayr United v Montrose

Dumbarton v Alloa Athletic

Greenock Morton v Brechin City

Inverness CT v Raith Rovers

Stenhousemuir v Forfar

Stranraer v Queen of the South

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What? No League Cup?

I mean, I could in future, I think doing just the top 2 leagues for the first season will be just fine, league cup & scottish cup in future could be simulated as well 

This is definitely mental - Hearts in stupid real life play Celtic this weekend so we’ll likely only score 2 or 3 but in RoscoWorld we’re playing St Mirren who we’d batter in our sleep! - but I’m on board!

W2 results - 

Dundee 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Dunfermline 1 - 2 Dundee United

Hearts 1 - 0 St. Mirren

Kilmarnock 0 - 0 Celtic

Livingston 0 - 1 Hibernian

Motherwell 0 - 1 Hamilton

Rangers 2 -  2 Partick Thistle

Ross County 3 - 1 St. Johnstone

Airdrieonians 0 - 1 Falkirk

Arbroath 3 - 0 East Fife

Ayr United 0 - 1 Montrose

Dumbarton 0 - 0 Alloa Athletic

Greenock Morton 2 - 1 Brechin City

Inverness CT 0 - 2 Raith Rovers

Stenhousemuir 0 - 2 Forfar

Stranraer 1 - 1 Queen of the South

tables & W3 fixtures will be posted shortly

W3 fixtures -

Aberdeen v Hearts

Celtic v Livingston

Dundee United v Rangers

Hamilton v Dundee

Hibernian v Motherwell

Partick Thistle v Kilmarnock

St. Johnstone v Dunfermline

St. Mirren v Ross County

Alloa Athletic v Greenock Morton

Brechin City v Ayr United

East Fife v Stranraer

Falkirk v Stenhousemuir

Forfar v Inverness CT

Montrose v Dumbarton

Queen of the South v Arbroath

Raith Rovers v Aidrieonians

Next Sat is league cup action so we will be taking a break, SPFL League 1 sides will still have matches however these matches will not count towards simulated gameweek 3 but will instead  count towards a gameweek in the future.