Starting 11 for Belgium and Albania games

On 24/07/2018 at 11:51, Savage Henry said:

I think he's better off doing it that way.  To me, Tierney's going to play the majority of games as the left centre back in a back three.   Which is fine.  It's the antiquated selections elsewhere that depress me.

Tierney should  do a good job at left centre half in a three, although the only time i’ve seen him drop real changers is being caught under high balls. It’s something he needs to work on. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69

Main concern are our forwards are not fit griffiths or utter mince the rest phillips, mcburnie and the other low level diddies

With our Nations League campaign on the horizon, what do people think our starting line up should be?? After getting a look at some of the fringe players in the Costa Rica, Hungary, Peru and Mexico games, I think the team will be smth like this: 
--Gordon-- 
Tierney--Hendry--Mulgrew--Robertson 
McTominay--Armstrong (or McGinn, depends on Stu's form for Southampton)
Forrest--McGregor--Phillips
             Griffiths (or McBurnie depending on Griffiths match fitness) 

Pretty much every away game Mcleish will play a back three. At home against smaller teams may switch to a 4 but vast majority of games we will be playing 3 - 5 - 1 - 1

So with that in mind

Gordon

McKenna
Mulgrew
Tierney

Robertson LWB
Fraser RWB

Armstrong
McGregor
Mcginn

Forrest

Griffiths

6 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Has it ever been brought up that Barry Douglas is a better RB than Tierney???

I doubt it. I propose Greg Docherty as RWB after a season on loan somewhere in that position. He’s physical, very quick, has stamina and can put in a good cross. RB in a back four is a different matter altogether. 

32 minutes ago, woof! said:

I doubt it. I propose Greg Docherty as RWB after a season on loan somewhere in that position. He’s physical, very quick, has stamina and can put in a good cross. RB in a back four is a different matter altogether. 

We could always just play Ryan Fraser there considering he does so for a team in the EPL rather than forcing a fairly promising central midfielder out of position.

58 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We could always just play Ryan Fraser there considering he does so for a team in the EPL rather than forcing a fairly promising central midfielder out of position.

Far too logical. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We could, but he’s not too clever at the back post, and we’d need some taller players in the side to compensate. That said, he’s in my team if you scroll backwards. Docherty ticks every box there though. It’s just not an influential enough position for a player like him in a team such as Hamilton and he’ll need to learn it for Rangers.

8 minutes ago, woof! said:

We could, but he’s not too clever at the back post, and we’d need some taller players in the side to compensate. That said, he’s in my team if you scroll backwards. Docherty ticks every box there though. It’s just not an influential enough position for a player like him in a team such as Hamilton and he’ll need to learn it for Rangers.

There's an inch and half difference between Fraser and Docherty. I think you're a mad man.

16 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

Tierney at right back would make the most sense IMO, at least until we have a suitable one (arguably did with Bardsley, and Hutton to a lesser extent, but hey-ho) 

Hutton would be starting at right back in an instant, had he not retired.

18 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What a fucking shite attitude to have.

Dry your eyes. We're quite pish and Belgium are pretty good. It's not like I'm wanting us to lose.

I suspect we will get soundly beaten.  I'm not sure that's particularly non-patriotic to say or anything.  Belgium are a very good side, and we're not there yet.

But even a pumping off them doesn't really change much, or at least it shouldn't.  You'll get the usual moon-howlers coming on and saying it's a reason why we shouldn't just cancel football, we should just cancel life altogether because it's just that bad.  When really it'll just be an expected defeat.  Nations League fixtures are what matters.

13 hours ago, forameus said:

I suspect we will get soundly beaten.  I'm not sure that's particularly non-patriotic to say or anything.  Belgium are a very good side, and we're not there yet.

But even a pumping off them doesn't really change much, or at least it shouldn't.  You'll get the usual moon-howlers coming on and saying it's a reason why we shouldn't just cancel football, we should just cancel life altogether because it's just that bad.  When really it'll just be an expected defeat.  Nations League fixtures are what matters.

It’ll be a score draw.

This Belgium fixture is the first of a double header (Albania NL a few days later), so I'd expect a strong/full squad for this one - Fraser, Armstrong, McGregor, Tierney, Griffiths (if fit), Robbo all included.

Problem is whether we actually field any of the above for this friendly or keep them fresh for Albania. I'm a little concerned that it'll have been a full year since anything like Strachan's strong side from the tail end of the Russia qualifiers have been together in Scotland shirts, and I'd be tempted to go full strength to try to re-establish that momentum (if possible) sooner rather than later. Not sure fielding second choices Vs Belgium and taking a scudding will do anything for us, and I'd have some confidence in a strong side at least  giving Belgium a game.

Archived