Starting 11 for Belgium and Albania games

7 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
8 hours ago, DrewDon said:
Gordon will start against Belgium but it will be McGregor against Albania, according to the Daily Record

That kind of stuff makes it sound like McLeish/the SFA think both games are friendlies...

If we played Archer against Albania, then I'd think he sees it as a friendly, but he's just giving two good 'keepers a shot. I would guess that he considers McGregor as his first-choice anyway, but he just wants to give Gordon as many chances as possible. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
10 hours ago, DrewDon said:
Gordon will start against Belgium but it will be McGregor against Albania, according to the Daily Record

That kind of stuff makes it sound like McLeish/the SFA think both games are friendlies...

It doesn't really. We have two goalkeepers who are basically as good as each other, and it makes sense to give them a game each. The fact it's that way round suggests that McLeish might see McGregor as first choice.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It doesn't really. We have two goalkeepers who are basically as good as each other, and it makes sense to give them a game each. The fact it's that way round suggests that McLeish might see McGregor as first choice.

Or that Gordon will be the busier goalkeeper and he can handle it better than McGregor.

42 minutes ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Don't really see the point in playing Belgium as a warm up for Albania.

We'll be camped in our own box for 90 minutes tonight then expect to come out on the front foot against the Albanians on Monday.

This has been noted repeatedly and dismissed due to the lack of options - most teams are playing in the nations league so aren't available.

15 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

What is 'international level'? I'm pretty sure McTominay would find the 'level' of football against Albania and Israel a tad easier than any Premier League matches he will be playing.

Do you not think playing for your club and getting regular first team football is important going into the national setup?
Or being a Man Utd player should automatically get you in the squad?
Darren Fletcher was in the Man Utd team for years and Scotland never qualified for anything,for me it seems that Scotland are making the same mistakes over and over again. 
I'm not doubting McTominay's ability I'm doubting his inexperience,he has only played 16 times in the first team for me that's not enough to be in the national side.

30 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Do you not think playing for your club and getting regular first team football is important going into the national setup?
Darren Fletcher was in the Man Utd team for years and Scotland never qualified for anything,for me it seems that Scotland are making the same mistakes over and over again. 
I'm not doubting McTominay's ability I'm doubting his inexperience,he has only played 16 times in the first team for me that's not enough to be in the national side.

Oh, well f**k Man Utd players then, because in a team game, the fact that we didn't qualify whilst having probably our best player in the side is absolutely down to just him.

With analysis like that, you should apply to Sportsound.

21 minutes ago, forameus said:

Oh, well f**k Man Utd players then, because in a team game, the fact that we didn't qualify whilst having probably our best player in the side is absolutely down to just him.

With analysis like that, you should apply to Sportsound.

You are missing the broader point it's not the club that's important.

McLeish already has a very poor record since taking over. He seems to be writing off tonights match as just practice for Monday. the compliant press will let him off lightly as usual following another defeat. Regardless of Belgiums current status, a defeat on home soil should NEVER be accepted as inevitable. Neither should selecting players who are currently reserves.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You are missing the broader point it's not the club that's important.

Largely, no.  But it's not as if they've got some jobber on their hands playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.  Players playing at big clubs are, for the most part, better than those playing for small clubs.  He's hardly been shoehorned in, he's in because he's one of the better options we have.  It's that simple.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Neither of them are kids, both can handle playing for Scotland and both have big game experience. It is a nonsense for him not to select a first choice, a total cop out.

You can argue ether way but just pick one and be decisive.

59 minutes ago, forameus said:

Largely, no.  But it's not as if they've got some jobber on their hands playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.  Players playing at big clubs are, for the most part, better than those playing for small clubs.  He's hardly been shoehorned in, he's in because he's one of the better options we have.  It's that simple.

As I said above for me his lack of first team experience is a doubt for me, we all want to see scotland qualify for a major tourney for me there is better options.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Neither of them are kids, both can handle playing for Scotland and both have big game experience. It is a nonsense for him not to select a first choice, a total cop out.

You can argue ether way but just pick one and be decisive.

Does it make that much of a difference? 

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Wales pumped Ireland last night with a 17 year old Chelsea player in centre midfield, dont have the stats but cant imagine he has many appearances at first team level.  Its all about picking the right mix.  Is an inexperienced McTominay a better option in a 3 than say an experienced Kevin McDonald / Ryan Jack / James McArthur etc?  I've no idea, but it's up to McLeish to work it out. 

11 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Wales pumped Ireland last night with a 17 year old Chelsea player in centre midfield, dont have the stats but cant imagine he has many appearances at first team level.  Its all about picking the right mix.  Is an inexperienced McTominay a better option in a 3 than say an experienced Kevin McDonald / Ryan Jack / James McArthur etc?  I've no idea, but it's up to McLeish to work it out. 

I have no problem with  him playing in a friendly,being progressive isn't the problem.

40 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I have no problem with  him playing in a friendly,being progressive isn't the problem.

So he plays against Belgium and looks very good, but we can't play him in the competitive game because he doesn't have enough experience?

Archived