Starting 11 for Belgium and Albania games

With our Nations League campaign on the horizon, what do people think our starting line up should be?? After getting a look at some of the fringe players in the Costa Rica, Hungary, Peru and Mexico games, I think the team will be smth like this: 

--Gordon-- 

Tierney--Hendry--Mulgrew--Robertson 

McTominay--Armstrong (or McGinn, depends on Stu's form for Southampton)

Forrest--McGregor--Phillips

Griffiths (or McBurnie depending on Griffiths match fitness) 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chimter-boys said:

With our Nations League campaign on the horizon, what do people think our starting line up should be?? After getting a look at some of the fringe players in the Costa Rica, Hungary, Peru and Mexico games, I think the team will be smth like this: 

--Gordon-- 

Tierney--Hendry--Mulgrew--Robertson 

McTominay--Armstrong (or McGinn, depends on Stu's form for Southampton)

Forrest--McGregor--Phillips

Griffiths (or McBurnie depending on Griffiths match fitness) 

Hasn`t McLeish already stated that he won`t be playing Tierney at RB other than in an emergency?

Hasn`t McLeish already stated that he won`t be playing Tierney at RB other than in an emergency?

Tierney at RB is better than any other RB we have at RB.

Gordon

Forrest

Hendry

McKenna

Tierney

Robertson

McTominay

McGregor

Armstrong

Griffiths

Phillips

Not necessary the team I’d pick. Fraser or Paterson could be RWB with Forrest replacing Phillips.

9 hours ago, Enigma said:

2 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:
9 hours ago, Enigma said:

Agree, still holding out for Ralston until some other c**t comes through. Paterson just isn't good enough

I don`t disagree with that but it doesn`t negate the point I made that McLeish has said we wouldn`t play him there. 

McLeish and Tierney

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I don`t disagree with that but it doesn`t negate the point I made that McLeish has said we wouldn`t play him there. 

McLeish and Tierney

I think he's better off doing it that way.  To me, Tierney's going to play the majority of games as the left centre back in a back three.   Which is fine.  It's the antiquated selections elsewhere that depress me.

On 7/23/2018 at 22:00, Peppino Impastato said:

Probably pretty much spot on what McLeish will pick imo.

I'm surprised as a footballing expert you weren't aware that the manager had already made it clear that he doesn't see Tierney featuring at right back, whilst he's in charge tbh

6 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

You said you expected Mcleish to pick a team with Tierney at right back. Mcleish won’t pick a team with Tierney at right back unless he is absolutely forced to.

Work it out.

Knowledge of football and knowledge of Alex McLeish s statements are not the same thing champ.

At the moment, what I'd do would differ from McLeish, so that's the first thing I will say on this, as I agree with @Enigma that Tierney is our best RB option if playing a back four.

At the moment, I would pick: Gordon; Tierney, Hendry, McKenna, Robertson; Armstrong, McArthur/McTominay/McGinn (dependent on form at the start of the season); Forrest, McGregor, Fraser; Griffiths.

If we were to change shape to a 3-5-1-1 then: Gordon; Hendry, McKenna, Tierney; Fraser, Armstrong, McArthur/McTominay, McGinn, Robertson;  McGregor; Griffiths.

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Gordon

Fraser McKenna Mulgrew Tierney Robertson

Armstrong McTominay McGregor

Forrest

Griffiths

Something like that for me Clive

I can't say I've been fond of the 3-5-1-1 we've been playing but looking at that, I don't totally hate it and it might actually really suit us.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I can't say I've been fond of the 3-5-1-1 we've been playing but looking at that, I don't totally hate it and it might actually really suit us.

Three left footed centre halves is a problem. 

Archived