The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

Guest Flash
30 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Exactly - it is good to hear from someone who has seen a lot of Doyle and who presumably knows his game.

I can't believe that our Manager is even contemplating deploying him there as an option far less actually playing him there away to Motherwell!!!

Not a viable option as far as I'm concerned and it seems to have given you some entertainment. Doyle should be given the nod at RB ahead of Mercer but if he is not considered good enough to start there ( and that is not a ringing endorsement) then it's a seat on the bench and bide his time.

We have decent options in the wide areas and there should be no need to play players out of position and unbalance the team. In saying that Lyndon Dykes is very often shoved out wide to mark the opposing full back so with Iredale's threat going forward that tactic wouldn't surprise me but it would infuriate me.

Looks like Doyle has been signed to be an extra defensive midfield player and as cover for RB and CB. I’d be amazed if he doesn’t start instead of Stirling who will be brought on to try to get something from the game if we’re losing. Just can’t imagine Naysmith starting Harkins, Todd and Stirling in any away league game and he probably won’t consider it in a good number of home games either. Possibly only to be expected given how easy we were to score against last season and we can’t afford to have a clear out of the defence. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d imagine team will be

Martin

Doyle Fordyce Semple Marshall

Stirling Harkins Jacobs Todd

Dobbie Dykes

Doyle only played further forward v Motherwell to try nullify there threat on wings. The Clyde game was down to options at time. Can only see above happening Saturday.

Would expect something like this for us,

Gaston

Tumilty Buchanan Waddell Iredale

McAlister Millar Tidser

Telfer                                             MacLean

McHugh

Bench- Scully, Kilday, Oliver, Bell, Thomson, Thomson, Armour.

I’d imagine team will be

Martin

Doyle Fordyce Semple Marshall

Stirling Harkins Jacobs Todd

Dobbie Dykes

Doyle only played further forward v Motherwell to try nullify there threat on wings. The Clyde game was down to options at time. Can only see above happening Saturday.

That would be my team but I doubt it will happen.

45 minutes ago, madton said:

Gaston

McAlister Millar Tidser

McHugh

Would swap McHugh for Bell, but happy with the rest of that. 

1 hour ago, madton said:

Gaston

McAlister Millar Tidser

McHugh

I would keep Kilday in for Waddell. Thought Kilday was good last Saturday and Waddell looked as if he was not match fit. 

Doyle was released for a reason, that reason being he’s a bang average RB and wasn’t good enough. Tumilty after only a few games of viewing already looks like a vast improvement, we done the right thing.

39 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Doyle’s enthusiasm could mask his lack of ability but in all fairness up to now he has done an excellent job in a number of positions.

time will tell. 

His enthusiasm and work rate were excellent, can't fault him for that! As a few Morton fans have pointed out, the fact we didn't have a proper RW  meaning he was forced to run into postions that didn't suit his game probably didn't help his confidence, overall he was pretty poor last season but having him sat a RB only could work out well for you boys.

Doyle was released for a reason, that reason being he’s a bang average RB and wasn’t good enough. Tumilty after only a few games of viewing already looks like a vast improvement, we done the right thing.

A bang average RB will do me just fine.

Not sure how a bang average RB isn't good enough for Morton given they'll be midtable at best as well.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

A bang average RB will do me just fine.

Not sure how a bang average RB isn't good enough for Morton given they'll be midtable at best as well.

I think the point is to try and not be mid table any more hence upgrading where you can.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I think the point is to try and not be mid table any more hence upgrading where you can.

Exactly, wasn't just Doyle, was the same with a number of positions! Our finish last season simply wasn't good enough and this needed resolved, Doyle was just part of the refresh and rightly so.

11 hours ago, Colkitto said:

I would keep Kilday in for Waddell. Thought Kilday was good last Saturday and Waddell looked as if he was not match fit. 

He hasn't trained in over 2 or 3 weeks, never mind kicked a ball. Of course he's not match fit. 

I'm aware of the point. But before a ball was even kicked it's clear Morton weren't going to be near a title challenge so an average player for this level is fine.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
28 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'm aware of the point. But before a ball was even kicked it's clear Morton weren't going to be near a title challenge so an average player for this level is fine.

Who mentioned anything about a title challenge? 

We needed better players to push for a top 4 finish.  Doyle is decent, no one has said he isn't  but we needed better. Time will tell if Tumilty is better, but early signs are promising. 

You seem upset that us Morton fans are happy to see Doyle go? If you rate him, good for you, enjoy him!

As for your "mid table at best" comment, again time will tell. Personally don't see any reason why we can't finish top 4, we have recruited very well and the team is starting to gel.  Our injured players are mostly returning too.   It will be a very competitive  and I'm sure  you boys will also fancy a top 4 finish as will every other full time team in the league probably.

43 minutes ago, TurbineTon said:

He hasn't trained in over 2 or 3 weeks, never mind kicked a ball. Of course he's not match fit. 

That's my point and why Kilday should start ahead of him this Saturday. 

Who mentioned anything about a title challenge? 
We needed better players to push for a top 4 finish.  Doyle is decent, no one has said he isn't  but we needed better. Time will tell if Tumilty is better, but early signs are promising. 
You seem upset that us Morton fans are happy to see Doyle go? If you rate him, good for you, enjoy him!
As for your "mid table at best" comment, again time will tell. Personally don't see any reason why we can't finish top 4, we have recruited very well and the team is starting to gel.  Our injured players are mostly returning too.   It will be a very competitive  and I'm sure  you boys will also fancy a top 4 finish as will every other full time team in the league probably.

In a league of 10 I'd say an average finish is between 4th and 7th. If an average player isn't good enough then it would suggest you'd be looking for a top 3 finish which is arguably title challenge territory.

I couldn't care if Morton fans said Doyle was the worst player in their entire history. The same way Morton fans wouldn't care if we slated McHugh or Oliver.

What I've took issue with is the comment that average isn't good enough. I find it bizarre more than anything.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

In a league of 10 I'd say an average finish is between 4th and 7th. If an average player isn't good enough then it would suggest you'd be looking for a top 3 finish which is arguably title challenge territory.

I couldn't care if Morton fans said Doyle was the worst player in their entire history. The same way Morton fans wouldn't care if we slated McHugh or Oliver.

What I've took issue with is the comment that average isn't good enough. I find it bizarre more than anything.

Find it very strange that  you are struggling with the concept of wanting better players than you currently have!

Why did you sign Harkins if you had "average" players already who finished an average 6th place then??

Archived