The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Boy we missed some good chances in this.

To be fair, as much as Callum Semple gave the ball away carelessly for their first goal, there was a good bit of passing and moving between that and the actual finish. I didnt really give enough credit for that. 

The second one its Doyle who doesnt get anywhere near close enough to McLean when he runs across from the left. Todd gave the ball away and its a really clever run by McLean onto a good pass but it should have been better tracked and he shouldnt have had space to shoot.

Scully's rebound save from Dykes header is terrific. 

Surely Martin should save the 2nd goal.The ball was straight at him.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair, as much as Callum Semple gave the ball away carelessly for their first goal, there was a good bit of passing and moving between that and the actual finish. I didnt really give enough credit for that. 

The second one its Doyle who doesnt get anywhere near close enough to McLean when he runs across from the left. Todd gave the ball away and its a really clever run by McLean onto a good pass but it should have been better tracked and he shouldnt have had space to shoot.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think that is a very fair comment. From the Semple poor pass there was a hell of a lot went on prior to the finish. 

Plenty of chances created, only 2 shots on target by Morton and a cracking away kit. All in all not too bad.

42 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely Martin should save the 2nd goal.The ball was straight at him.

Totally this.

I had to watch it back three times to see how it managed to get through him.  A pathetic piece of goalkeeping.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It certainly looked a howler to me but it’s a bit strange that not one person that was at the game mentioned it at the time.

Looking from the opposite end of the main stand towards Martin's goals,   I didn't think he could do much about it  given the force of the shot and the Morton player looked a bit closer to goals thus cutting down Martin's reaction time.  True,  there weren't any shouts blaming Martin at the time that I recall but the highlights show the shot was from a bit further out than it looked at the time and was almost straight at him.  It was well struck though.  If SD was there he would have a better viewing position (not a dig) so what did he think at the time. 

It certainly looked a howler to me but it’s a bit strange that not one person that was at the game mentioned it at the time.
Looking at the highlights i think Martin should of done better. He has got a instinctive hand up to it but the angle it flew into the goal shows it was a weak hand. Maybe he was expecting placement rather than power from the striker.

One thing i would like to point out is our build up play. Just before the Scully double save it was great to see so many players getting up in support and different running angles. I know that sounds a bit obvious however, to me, it shows the commitment of the players as a group.

Dobbie cross for semple goal was delightful.

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Looking from the opposite end of the main stand towards Martin's goals,   I didn't think he could do much about it  given the force of the shot and the Morton player looked a bit closer to goals thus cutting down Martin's reaction time.  True,  there weren't any shouts blaming Martin at the time that I recall but the highlights show the shot was from a bit further out than it looked at the time and was almost straight at him.  It was well struck though.  If SD was there he would have a better viewing position (not a dig) so what did he think at the time. 

This pretty much. I was more or less bang in line with it and I remember saying at the time that whilst I wouldn't blame Martin for it at all if he'd got nowhere near it, I thought he'd be disappointed to have put a hand on it and then not actually kept it out. I think you maybe had to be there to appreciate the sheer power the guy struck it with. He hit it surprisingly early and with real venom. It was one that the keeper might have made a really good save from but I wouldn't have blamed him for not saving it.

Certainly at the time I was more annoyed about the cheap loss of possession and the untracked run than I was about Martin's role in it. But he did hit it from outside the box and it was within arm's reach. Could have done better but not the main problem for me.

On 07/08/2018 at 12:07, 19QOS19 said:

The highlights make these comments look even more idiotic.

I counted 5 really good chances outwith our goals. Can't recall any other Morton chances other than their goals. Poor that we never took any more than 2 out of 7 and had we scored before going behind we might have taken all 3 points.

I'm pleased we created plenty of really good chances. I'd be more concerned if we weren't. With Dobbie in the side I'm sure we'll have games where we won't be so wasteful.

A good team would’ve put all those chance anyway. Literally all of them. 

The sort of ‘luck’ you need in those situations just doesn’t come to those that are near the bottom.

The sort of ‘luck’ you need in those situations just doesn’t come to those that are near the bottom.
We're sitting joint 5th with you m8.

42 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
51 minutes ago, Pure Mental said:

We're sitting joint 5th with you m8.

You really think there's much relevance to that stat after one game??

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This pretty much. I was more or less bang in line with it at the time and I remember saying at the time that whilst I wouldn't blame Martin for it at all if he'd got nowhere near it, I thought he'd be disappointed to have put a hand on it and then not actually kept it out. I think you maybe had to be there to appreciate the sheer power the guy struck it with. He hit it surprisingly early and with real venom. It was one that the keeper might have made a really good save from but I wouldn't have blamed him for not saving it.

Certainly at the time I was more annoyed about the cheap loss of possession and the untracked run than I was about Martin's role in it. But he did hit it from outside the box and it was within arm's reach. Could have done better but not the main problem for me.

He did strike it well and early,  maybe Martin was expecting him to take another touch.  We also looked to be caught a bit square with the pass taking out three defenders.  Dykes' header in the first half that went just wide looked a great chance at the time but he is actually further out from goals than it appeared at the time so maybe not an "easier to score" chance as I originally thought. 

On 8/7/2018 at 12:07, 19QOS19 said:

The highlights make these comments look even more idiotic.

I counted 5 really good chances outwith our goals. Can't recall any other Morton chances other than their goals. Poor that we never took any more than 2 out of 7 and had we scored before going behind we might have taken all 3 points.

I'm pleased we created plenty of really good chances. I'd be more concerned if we weren't. With Dobbie in the side I'm sure we'll have games where we won't be so wasteful.

You can count, well done. Unless you convert those chances to goals it means absolutely f**k all. 

We still took 2 goals off you with next to no other chances. That's probably the more telling stat. 

#clinical 

I would rather draw 2 2 making plenty of chances than taking the only 2 chances you made and hanging on for a draw....

the telling stat is you better start making more chances or you will get hammered more often than not.

You can count, well done. Unless you convert those chances to goals it means absolutely f**k all. 

We still took 2 goals off you with next to no other chances. That's probably the more telling stat. 

#clinical 
Uh huh. Who's arguing with you? I'm well aware of how football works. I was responding to one of our fans who commented on how many chances we created. Instead of frothing at the mouth for no apparent reason perhaps you should read previous posts before typing away furiously.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, TurbineTon said:

#clinical 

Uh huh. Who's arguing with you? I'm well aware of how football works. I was responding to one of our fans who commented on how many chances we created. Instead of frothing at the mouth for no apparent reason perhaps you should read previous posts before typing away furiously.

As tough as relegation is, it can really lift the club if you bounce straight back up. Morton have been much better for it. QoS could do with this: they’ve been poor for years. 

Archived