The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

Doubt that result has told us anything that we didn’t expect before kick-off. It’d have been good for McKinnon to get a win on the board straight away but the Morton team is still a major work in progress and by all accounts it showed throughout the game. Draws are fine until Johnstone enters the fray and we aren’t throwing defenders into the team with less than 24 hours notice like we did today.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^^^^ Not sure if was at the game.

No idea how we didnt win. Morton's only two chances of note were the goals. Alan Martin never made a save of note. The first Morton goal came directly from Callum Semple passing the ball directly to Morton. The second from Todd losing possession cheaply albeit in the other half and then McLean being allowed an untracked run into the box. So if its down to "relying on mistakes" then Morton created nothing at all without them.

First half Morton controlled the opening spell without threatening but we gradually took over. Dykes should have scored with a free header 6 yards out (he had time to bring it down). Dobbie missed when clean through and then Scully produced a wonder save from Dobbie and Dykes hit the bar with the rebound. At 1-0 down Fordyce calmly slotted wide of an open goal too!

Didnt look like our day but fair play to the players for plugging away and getting back. Good cross by Dobbie and finish from Semple to make up for the one he gave away. Then great breakaway move for the equaliser where Harkins did brilliantly. Todd made a backside of the initial finish but the rebound was a tap in. For me we were the more likely to grab a late winner but the second half overall was fairly even. We were much the better side first half.

Exactly how I saw it.

We were lucky to escape with a point.

A back 4 who had never played together and a striker who gives you nothing up top made it a tough ask yesterday.

Obviously disappointed after being 2 up but we created feck all overall whereas queens missed a few sitters and Scully had one or two world class saves!

Take the point.  Beat Alloa next week, then hopefully Denny is back for County on the 25th. We need a natural winger in and I think McKinnon knows that, hopefully we see some movement soon.

350 queens fans comment earlier? Thought it was about 200-250! 

Edit- Just seen we had 3 shots all afternoon, 2 on target which were obviously the goals. Sums up our lack of quality up top yesterday!

4 hours ago, madton said:

Exactly how I saw it.

We were lucky to escape with a point.

A back 4 who had never played together and a striker who gives you nothing up top made it a tough ask yesterday.

Obviously disappointed after being 2 up but we created feck all overall whereas queens missed a few sitters and Scully had one or two world class saves!

Take the point.  Beat Alloa next week, then hopefully Denny is back for County on the 25th. We need a natural winger in and I think McKinnon knows that, hopefully we see some movement soon.

350 queens fans comment earlier? Thought it was about 200-250! 

Edit- Just seen we had 3 shots all afternoon, 2 on target which were obviously the goals. Sums up our lack of quality up top yesterday!

And Scully MOM.

tells a clearer picture of the game.

58 minutes ago, SueSue said:

And Scully MOM.

tells a clearer picture of the game.

I wouldn't say he was man of match.

He didnt exactly pull off 4-5 amazing saves.  The double save was brilliant but  apart from the one before the second goal,he never really had another save to make.

You did miss a couple of sitters though.

16 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

How did Morton’s upgrade of players from a squad of average, mid table mediocrity to challenging for a top 4 position go today?! emoji848.png

If you can read the league table after one game, can you tell me Tuesday night’s EuroMillions numbers please?

3 hours ago, madton said:

I wouldn't say he was man of match.

He didnt exactly pull off 4-5 amazing saves.  The double save was brilliant but  apart from the one before the second goal,he never really had another save to make.

You did miss a couple of sitters though.

Only going with the official Morton Website which states Scully MOM

mind you the triple save deserves the MOM Award anyway.

I noticed the Cappielow pitch had been widened slightly (only about 1m each side), is this a tactical move by McKinnon for the season or just the decision of the groundsman. Seems a lot of trouble just for an extra 2 metres. 

7 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I noticed the Cappielow pitch had been widened slightly (only about 1m each side), is this a tactical move by McKinnon for the season or just the decision of the groundsman. Seems a lot of trouble just for an extra 2 metres. 

Dont think it was wider. Lines were close to the edge of the grass last season. Not sure what the faded line inside yesterdays lines was about?

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I also noticed Naismith not being too complimentary about the playing surface .

Gary, its grass.

Archived