The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morton had more of the ball but we had by far the better chances, Scully made a superb double save and I don't know how fordyce managed to miss from about 6 yards out. If one team were better then it was probaly Queens as I can't recall Martin having many saves to make. We are in desperate need for players but have to be happy with a point after being two down to a good Morton side. Special mention to Todd who I think is excellent.

2 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Morton had more of the ball but we had by far the better chances, Scully made a superb double save and I don't know how fordyce managed to miss from about 6 yards out. If one team were better then it was probaly Queens as I can't recall Martin having many saves to make. We are in desperate need for players but have to be happy with a point after being two down to a good Morton side. Special mention to Todd who I think is excellent.

Todd and Marshall were excellent down the left hand side. Doyle was decent but Stirling had a bit of a stinker, Kyle Jacobs was everywhere and looked back to near his best. Scully much the busier of the two keepers and that double save was unbelievable. Two mid table sides on show I would suggest but more positives than negatives imo for ourselves. 

6 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Todd and Marshall were excellent down the left hand side. Doyle was decent but Stirling had a bit of a stinker, Kyle Jacobs was everywhere and looked back to near his best. Scully much the busier of the two keepers and that double save was unbelievable. Two mid table sides on show I would suggest but more positives than negatives imo for ourselves. 

Was Marshall the queen's left back? I thought he had an excellent game.

Not wanting to start a debate about the rules, but why was the Queens defender only shown a yellow for lifting his hands towards Telfer and getting a hold of him by the neck? I thought that was a red card offence?

A good positive line up saw us creating several great chances. We should have had a commanding lead at HT but then paid the full price at start of second half.

Jordan Marshall had an outstanding match - he caused Morton all sorts of bother in first half where his link up play with Todd was different class. His fitness was superb and he contributed enormously both defensively and going forward. Jacobs and Todd were also very prominent.

Have to be happy with draw from 0-2 but at 2-2 we looked the likelier.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Was Marshall the queen's left back? I thought he had an excellent game.

Yes he really did link brilliantly with Todd. Harkins had a quiet return and was taking a bit of stick. Good to see him applauded off at the end. 

2 hours ago, Pure Mental said:

Played really good stuff - at times.

Defensivly, an absolute horror show in the middle. A decent team would’ve went in at the break ahead. 

The game for me, passed McAlister completely by. Where was he most of the game? When actually called upon, he should’ve prevented the equaliser: if he’s just kept running he’d of held up Harkins and that would never have happened.

That aside, plenty of positives. I don’t think we’ll be as low down the table as QoS. They relied on our mistakes to get anything from the game. Very poor side front and back. They’ll be hoping Ayr’s purple patch finishes soon or they’ll be left on their own to toil with Alloa IMHO.

Roll on next week. Stuff to work on but performance wise a very encouraging start.

^^^^^^ Not sure if was at the game.

No idea how we didnt win. Morton's only two chances of note were the goals. Alan Martin never made a save of note. The first Morton goal came directly from Callum Semple passing the ball directly to Morton. The second from Todd losing possession cheaply albeit in the other half and then McLean being allowed an untracked run into the box. So if its down to "relying on mistakes" then Morton created nothing at all without them.

First half Morton controlled the opening spell without threatening but we gradually took over. Dykes should have scored with a free header 6 yards out (he had time to bring it down). Dobbie missed when clean through and then Scully produced a wonder save from Dobbie and Dykes hit the bar with the rebound. At 1-0 down Fordyce calmly slotted wide of an open goal too!

Didnt look like our day but fair play to the players for plugging away and getting back. Good cross by Dobbie and finish from Semple to make up for the one he gave away. Then great breakaway move for the equaliser where Harkins did brilliantly. Todd made a backside of the initial finish but the rebound was a tap in. For me we were the more likely to grab a late winner but the second half overall was fairly even. We were much the better side first half.

10 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Not wanting to start a debate about the rules, but why was the Queens defender only shown a yellow for lifting his hands towards Telfer and getting a hold of him by the neck? I thought that was a red card offence?

I did think one of our players went in like a bull in a China shop, the initial tackle looked a really bad one though. Would like a closer look at the whole incident. 

2 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Yes he really did link brilliantly with Todd. Harkins had a quiet return and was taking a bit of stick. Good to see him applauded off at the end. 

Most of the stick was light-hearted imo. He deserved the applause at the end.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^^^^ Not sure if was at the game.

No idea how we didnt win. Morton's only two chances of note were the goals. Alan Martin never made a save of note. The first Morton goal came directly from Callum Semple passing the ball directly to Morton. The second from Todd losing possession cheaply albeit in the other half and then McLean being allowed an untracked run into the box. So if its down to "relying on mistakes" then Morton created nothing at all without them.

First half Morton controlled the opening spell without threatening but we gradually took over. Dykes should have scored with a free header 6 yards out (he had time to bring it down). Dobbie missed when clean through and then Scully produced a wonder save from Dobbie and Dykes hit the bar with the rebound. At 1-0 down Fordyce calmly slotted wide if an open goal too!

Didnt look like our day but fair play to the players for plugging away and getting back. Good cross by Dobbie and finish from Semple to make up for the one he gave away. Then great breakaway move for the equaliser where Harkins did brilliantly. Todd made a backside of the initial finish but the rebound was a tap in. For me we were the more likely to grab a late winner but the second half overall was fairly even. We were much the better side first half.

Scully got a touch on Dykes' rebound too. A fantastic double save.

14 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

The referee caused that stramash by not blowing for the foul on Millar. No idea why that went unpunished - the tackle which followed was out of frustration but a clear booking.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It really was. He just managed to grab it before Dobbie got a second rebound too. Call it a triple save. Terrific from him.

Looking forward to seeing it again on the highlights.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

The referee caused that stramash by not blowing for the foul on Millar. No idea why that went unpunished - the tackle which followed was out of frustration but a clear red card offence. 

FTFY 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No. He took a ball in the nether regions in the last minute of the first half and was clearly "winded" for the rest of the half. Was fine for start of second.

Groin injury according to Chick Young lol

18 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Random Observation, Queen of the South's AS Roma tribute away kit is striking and an interesting choice

Queen of the South's 1915 Dumfries kit is an absolute thing of beauty. Without doubt our best away kit in decades. Beautiful.

Archived