The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Why do I get the feeling that you are using this match thread as an anti-Tory platform, and making a sweeping generalisation as well.  Politics thread for this pish anyway. 

But turning it into the "Event no one cares about in a borders bumpkin town" was acceptable?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, stu_mfc said:

But turning it into the "Event no one cares about in a borders bumpkin town" was acceptable?

It wisnae me that raised the matter of the "event" originally but it seems to be of increasing interest to some Morton fans that they bother to react to posts about it. 

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Why do I get the feeling that you are using this match thread as an anti-Tory platform, and making a sweeping generalisation as well.  Politics thread for this pish anyway. 

We're it not for sweeping generalisations  the P&B forums would be much much quieter places.

Hold on, you may be onto something there.......

21 minutes ago, TurbineTon said:

Enough of this pish.  Back to the football..

Thoroughly looking forward to the match tomorrow. 

Yep,  first game of the season always has a bit of buzz about it,  and a feeling of stepping into the unknown,  given both teams will have a few new faces in their ranks from last year.   Friendlies and League Cup are all very well but we are now at the start of the main event.  Bring it on. 

Haven't seen Morton so far this season, but it's a massive turnover in players from last season.  That would suggest that we will have a slow start as the team won't have gelled yet, and we're going to be missing our main first choice striker for a few weeks.  We look very strong in midfield, pretty solid at the back, decent goalie, but maybe not the strongest squad up front until Denny is fit.  Will be interesting to see if Robert Thomson is played as a striker, or will he be out wide a la Duffy?

I doubt if tomorrow's game will be a pointer to the rest of the season.  i'll wait until we have half a dozen games in the league before predicting how we'll do.  Anywhere between champions and relegated is possible although I think top four is feasible if we don't have too many injuries to our smallish squad.

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

Haven't seen Morton so far this season, but it's a massive turnover in players from last season.  That would suggest that we will have a slow start as the team won't have gelled yet, and we're going to be missing our main first choice striker for a few weeks.  We look very strong in midfield, pretty solid at the back, decent goalie, but maybe not the strongest squad up front until Denny is fit.  Will be interesting to see if Robert Thomson is played as a striker, or will he be out wide a la Duffy?

I doubt if tomorrow's game will be a pointer to the rest of the season.  i'll wait until we have half a dozen games in the league before predicting how we'll do.  Anywhere between champions and relegated is possible although I think top four is feasible if we don't have too many injuries to our smallish squad.

The good thing is, many clubs will be in the same boat. County, Dunfermline, Falkirk, DU, ourselves and to a lesser extent  Partick have all added loads of new players with prob a few still to come!

Queens and Ayr seem the most settled.

No idea on ICT.

Just hope we dont go 4-4-2 we are far to open in the middle of the park .

Harkins good on the ball but no good when the other team attacks huge hole in midfield .

Hope we go 4-2-3-1 the way we played in the 2nd half of the Motherwell game .

Harkins good on the ball but no good when the other team attacks huge hole in midfield .

How are you lining that side up? Dobbie is not suited to the lone striker role and dykes is wasted out wide. And where do you deploy Harkins in that set up?

Who would be your lone striker?

If Dobbie is deployed there I really hope that is not the formation - he ends up chasing an endless stream of "hopeful punts". For the system to have a decent chance of working Dykes needs to be lone striker but I must admit I have seldom seen us play well over the years with the lone striker strategy.

On 02/08/2018 at 11:37, Rudolph Hucker said:

It's about 2,000 people.

The rest of the feet belong to the cows and sheep.

Yes, but that doesn't include the poultry.

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

i'll wait until we have half a dozen games in the league before predicting how we'll do.  Anywhere between champions and relegated is possible although I think top four is feasible if we don't have too many injuries to our smallish squad.

Eh?

Who would be your lone striker?

If Dobbie is deployed there I really hope that is not the formation - he ends up chasing an endless stream of "hopeful punts". For the system to have a decent chance of working Dykes needs to be lone striker but I must admit I have seldom seen us play well over the years with the lone striker strategy.
Outside of a 4 4 2 formation the only other formation that is realistic is 3 5 2.

Doyle fordyce semple
Stirling jacobs harkins todd marshall
Dykes dobbie.

Without possession you set up defensively strong and with possession there is width on offer with lots of options for harkins and dobbie to use.

4 2 3 1 doesnt suit us at this time for me.

You mean the half of football where we created one chance and outwith that never looked like scoring?

You mean the half of football where we created one chance and outwith that never looked like scoring?

I must admit that was how I saw the second half at Fir Park. Motherwell completely controlled that half and in all honesty should have added to the 2-0 score line. As you say we created one solitary chance but Well probably had just as many good chances as they did in first half. We drew the second half 0-0 but when we actually take stock of how the 45 mins panned out it was one way traffic.

When two points for a win was replaced with three points all these years ago there is a massive premium to be earned by converting draws into wins. For that reason it is much more fruitful to build a strategy around pro-actively trying to win games as opposed to sitting deep, soaking up pressure and trying to score from the occasional breakaway or set piece. Clearly you can get the odd unexpected win by deploying these tactics but over the course of the season it is extremely unlikely to take us anywhere near top 4.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must admit that was how I saw the second half at Fir Park. Motherwell completely controlled that half and in all honesty should have added to the 2-0 score line. As you say we created one solitary chance but Well probably had just as many good chances as they did in first half. We drew the second half 0-0 but when we actually take stock of how the 45 mins panned out it was one way traffic.

When two points for a win was replaced with three points all these years ago there is a massive premium to be earned by converting draws into wins. For that reason it is much more fruitful to build a strategy around pro-actively trying to win games as opposed to sitting deep, soaking up pressure and trying to score from the occasional breakaway or set piece. Clearly you can get the odd unexpected win by deploying these tactics but over the course of the season it is extremely unlikely to take us anywhere near top 4.

It must be the very odd unexpected win in our case. I can’t think of how often we have won using this tactic, or when the last time was.  Hibs at Easter Road a few years ago is one that springs to mind. There may be others, but not many. The tactic is quite clearly designed primarily to get a point from a 0-0.  Because more often than not it is changed after we go behind.  And more often than not, that is what happens. And it is much harder trying to get back into a game after you have surrendered the initiative.

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Looking forward to another opening day victory.:)

Yes, our first opening day away win in 25 years would be nice.

Another pre match interview with Naysmith in the papers today and he doesn't mention his own team once, talking about Morton rebuilding squad,  hard game,  etc. He seems more interested in talking about the opposition.  A bit of positivity,  talking about what WE are hoping for,  talking about OUR players surely isn't too much to ask from OUR Manager.  Let Morton talk about themselves.  

Archived