The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doyle is terrible, this is not his level, Queens fans will see this as the season goes on, very frustrating player. His passing, marking and final delivery when in advanced positions is shocking, his only plus side is that he's pretty fit and has bags of energy and will get up and down the park but he's utterly clueless with everything else.

1 minute ago, M0rtonfc said:

Doyle is terrible, this is not his level, Queens fans will see this as the season goes on, very frustrating player. His passing, marking and final delivery when in advanced positions is shocking, his only plus side is that he's pretty fit and has bags of energy and will get up and down the park but he's utterly clueless with everything else.

He's not terrible at all. He's a competent defender at this level.

10 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

I think you're being extremely harsh there, Doyle was solid defensively last year. We can all agree that he doesn't offer a great deal defensively, but the fact that he was providing all our width on the right hand side last season was Duffy's fault, not Doyle's. If we had a natural right winger last year to minimise Doyle's weaknesses then he would have been absolutely fine.

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Doyle has played CB, CM and RM so far.  Basically everywhere except RB.

Hopefully that changes starting on Saturday.

Did he not drop back to RB in the 2nd half at Edinburgh City?  Marshall went off at half-time and  Mercer moved to LB. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Did he not drop back to RB in the 2nd half at Edinburgh City?  Marshall went off at half-time and  Mercer moved to LB. 

Yeah he did. From what I've seen(All betfred games,no friendlys)I like him, especially in defensive games with Jacobs and him together in the Middle.

Charlie Telfer, Chris Millar and Gregor Buchanan all expected to be fit for Sat and Kerr Waddell played the full 90 on Sat so the injury concerns we had have eased greatly.

22 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He did.  What I should have said is that right-back is the position he has played least despite it being the position he was presumably signed to play. 

I wonder if Marshall re-signing has changed the manager's thoughts on Doyle?  He probably envisaged Mercer as left-back and Doyle as right-back until Marshall's u-turn.

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

He did.  What I should have said is that right-back is the position he has played least despite it being the position he was presumably signed to play. 

I wonder if Marshall re-signing has changed the manager's thoughts on Doyle?  He probably envisaged Mercer as left-back and Doyle as right-back until Marshall's u-turn.

Marshall re-signed before Doyle came in.

You would imagine Telfer, Millar and Buchanan will be back in the side after injury as all 3 have performed really well, especially Telfer who looks class.

Scully may get the nod ahead of Gaston as he's had more game time.

Decision needs to be made of playing Kilday or Waddell alongside Buchanan. I would probably go with Kilday as he has come back well from injury and again has more game time.

Up front is where we still need to be a bit more clinical. I would imagine McHugh would play as he's scored in the last couple of games. Thomson was a sub on Saturday so hopefully he has a good weeks training to give us options.

Happy with the defence,ecstatic with the midfield and a bit "meh" for up front 

Marshall re-signed before Doyle came in.

Fair enough. It was probably always the manager’s intention for him to be Mr Versatile then. He’ll no doubt get a shot in goals when Martin gets his inevitable injury as well.

Doyle playing at right wing? Oh ya fucker :lol: 

Exactly - it is good to hear from someone who has seen a lot of Doyle and who presumably knows his game.

I can't believe that our Manager is even contemplating deploying him there as an option far less actually playing him there away to Motherwell!!!

Not a viable option as far as I'm concerned and it seems to have given you some entertainment. Doyle should be given the nod at RB ahead of Mercer but if he is not considered good enough to start there ( and that is not a ringing endorsement) then it's a seat on the bench and bide his time.

We have decent options in the wide areas and there should be no need to play players out of position and unbalance the team. In saying that Lyndon Dykes is very often shoved out wide to mark the opposing full back so with Iredale's threat going forward that tactic wouldn't surprise me but it would infuriate me.

Doyle was fine defensively last season; people just got sick of him shelling a cross out of play for the 17 millionth time in his spell at the club and that has coloured judgment about his entire game. The time was right for him to move on. 

1-1

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Doyle was fine defensively last season; people just got sick of him shelling a cross out of play for the 17 millionth time in his spell at the club and that has coloured judgment about his entire game. The time was right for him to move on. 

1-1

We don’t need someone to cross the ball out of the park, we have a good number of players perfectly capable of doing that themselves!

Yeah I should add Doyle was absolutely fine defensively. Just woeful going forward. Not helped by the fact Duffy made him our only attacking option down the right hand side for the entirety of last season. 

22 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Martin
Fordyce CB semple
Doyle jacobs harkins todd marshall
Dobbie dykes

I like it.

I'd have Stirling and Todd wide, Jacobs and Doyle central just behind Harkins. Mercer and Marshall wide options if we need to go a bit more defensive.

Archived