The Famous vs Queen of the South 4th August

20 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Dobbie is usually free-kick taker from chances around that area so no reason he shouldn't carry on now Harkins is here.  It was a bad effort V Motherwell but I'm sure Harkins has skied a few in his time also.  No bad thing we have two players confident at free-kicks.

To be honest, I've said for long enough we should let Connor Murray take a few if he's on the pitch. He used to stick them in the top corner for the 20's with regularity. I doubt anyone's going to get them off Dobbie though.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/07/2018 at 15:25, Poet of the Macabre said:

Say what you like about how cringey it is or their delusions of grandeur but the 'Famous' nickname has stuck.

I suspect only Viking.Ton calls Morton "the famous".  Maybe a few others have picked up on it.  I think most Morton supporters will cringe at it. 

Edited to correct the autocorrect of said poster's name. Despite it being amusing that someone has thought to set that up...

I've said elsewhere that this would not have been my first choice of opening game, especially given that Queens already seem to have no trouble scoring (except at Motherwell, although they did better than we have on any of our last several visits).

Not optimistic.

Think we'll get a couple of doings in the first quarter but if our injuries clear up and the squad stays reasonably healthy we'll recover before we're cut adrift from the playoffs altogether.

Waddell playing today was a bonus, as was Gaston.

With Millar, Telfer and Thomson on the bench, leaves only Johnstone and Buchanan as officially injured from the first team so we should be in much better shape than we thought a few days ago. None of them got on today right enough so hard to tell how fit they actually are.

We should go into next week with confidence after 7 goals scored and 0 conceded in our last two games, albeit against lower league opposition.

Can't wait for next week. Hopefully a decent crowd and a sound pumping for Doyle, Harkins and co!

I'm not sure what to expect really. We obviously have the personell to score goals  but I think defensively we are still a bit suspect.  Morton are also a bit of an unknown quantity following a bit of player movement over the summer and a new Manager.   Hoping for a win of course but will be happy enough with a draw to ease into the season.  Even after pre-season friendlies and BetFred groups,  managers are still maybe a bit unsure of best line-up.  Unlike Morton I don't think we have any injury problems ahead of the game. (Apart from Brownlie of course) 

How many  players from last seasons Queens side are likely to start this time around?

For us, Iredale and Tidser are certs to start,

Gaston hopefully but he will be fighting it out with Scully. Gats has only 1 start under his belt because of injury whereas Scully has played every other friendly/cup game so will be interesting to see who McKinnon goes for.

Kilday, McHugh and Oliver are possibles but depends on fitness of others.

1 hour ago, madton said:

How many  players from last seasons Queens side are likely to start this time around?

Gaston hopefully but he will be fighting it out with Scully. Gats has only 1 start under his belt because of injury whereas Scully has played every other friendly/cup game so will be interesting to see who McKinnon goes for.

Martin Fordyce Marshall Mercer Jacobs Dobbie Dykes Todd (was on loan to qos near end season) and add new signings  Harkins, Semple and Doyle. 

38 minutes ago, madton said:

Going by our games to date, our most likely lineup will be:

Martin

Mercer Semple Fordyce Marshall

Stirling Harkins Jacobs Todd

Dykes Dobbie

Of that team only Semple and Harkins are new signings.

There is a chance Naysmith will play Doyle instead of Stirling, although personally I would play him instead of Mercer.  That would take our number of new signings to three.

22 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

There is a chance Naysmith will play Doyle instead of Stirling, although personally I would play him instead of Mercer.  That would take our number of new signings to three.

Doyle playing at right wing? Oh ya fucker :lol: 

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Doyle has played CB, CM and RM so far.  Basically everywhere except RB.

Hopefully that changes starting on Saturday.

We've managed to put together a squad where RB is the only position where we have options - Naysmith's rule of minimalism.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek if you factor in the youngsters but we desperately need to bring in another central midfielder and striker (on loan?) to fill out the squad.

Semple has shown some some real strength and character since arriving.

No complaints from me about his performances or his willingness to battle it out.

Excellent against Hearts, Clyde and Edinburgh and a proper battle at Motherwell.

Fordyce and mercer look a weak link on the right side for me.

doyle to right back strengthens the defence in one swoop 

2 hours ago, SueSue said:

doyle to right back strengthens the defence in one swoop 

Funny how so many had Doyle as the weak link in our defence last year.  To be fair, he did seem to lose the ball a lot but we've had a lot worse in recent years.

Archived