Inverness Independence March

SandyCromarty

Ack there’s some guid - great in fact - fowk on the Scottish left. As long as they don’t just speak only amongst themselves and flock to Labour when Corbyn gets a bit of momentum, though frankly I don’t see any of these things not happening.

Think it was the SNP’s Doug Daniel who quipped that the left-wing pro-Indy corner of Twitter only speaks to the parts of the country they like... and then complain they don’t get a hearing.

Its the far left numpties like Boyd etc that I mean, nothing wrong with moderate left.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Aye it’s tempting, especially if a wee tour of Inverness’s finest hostelries is core to the plan, but I think I’ll sit this one out thanks.

Ah, sitting on your hands. Much like the Labour Party.

10 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Butcher Cumberlands army was probably the last big protest march through Inverness, and that fat feckin german ancestor of the present queen set the highlands back years.

He was excellent as Sherlock Holmes, I thought.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Fairly certain Inverness voted No.  Only Glasgow and Dundee were Yes voting cities if I recall.

Inverness voted Yes but the Highland region as a whole voted No. Struggling to find the breakdown to prove it though.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Inverness voted Yes but the Highland region as a whole voted No. Struggling to find the breakdown to prove it though.

The Castle Tavern voted yes, presumably.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Found a breakdown on a messageboard  (not sure how reliable) saying Inverness City, Lochaber and Skye, Fort William and Wick voted Yes. The rest voted No as far as I can see.

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/5508/2014-scottish-referendum-results-breakdown

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Fairly certain Inverness voted No.  Only Glasgow and Dundee were Yes voting cities if I recall.

The vote tallies were announced by the council areas.  As Inverness as a city isn't a county in and of itself (like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee), it's numbers were jumbled in with the rest of Highland.  

I don't think the official vote for Inverness was ever officially worked out and/or announced publicly but I recall a figure of 60% Yes floating around at the time.

5 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The Portland Club voted No, presumably (if it was still there).

It was a Mosque and Islamic community centre by then I think, not sure of their take on the independence issue. I'm sure the old members are delighted to see the building well used though. :lol:

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Ex-Rangers-stronghold-set-to-become-a-mosque-22102013.htm

http://invernessmasjid.co.uk/

P.S. The Castle Tavern has load of blazer, golf and rugby types, wouldn't be surprised by a heavy No vote.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Going to be a wash out by the looks of things.  Who're the speakers going to be by the way?  Tommy Sheridan?  Robbie The Pict?  That bespectacled leather jacket wearing Scottish Resistance guy?

Would you say that you're totally relaxed about what promises to be a promenade of positivity?

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Going to be a wash out by the looks of things.  Who're the speakers going to be by the way?  Tommy Sheridan?  Robbie The Pict?  That bespectacled leather jacket wearing Scottish Resistance guy?

You c.an  go along and join this holocaust denying shit gurgler Image may contain: one or more people and text

35 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

You c.an  go along and join this holocaust denying shit gurgler Image may contain: one or more people and text

I mused as I was posting and thought it must be time for actors to become involved in these positive events.

Such actions, inevitable I suppose, will allow the likes of the BBC and the Sunday Herald to present balanced output.

Juxtiposed with the staunch gargoyles attached above, Sandy Cromarty is the girl in George Square with her Saltire

Archived