Inverness Independence March

SandyCromarty

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgive me, but what's the point of this march? Would time not be better spent pushing the case for independence by talking to folk in the street rather than hanging around with folk who already support an independent Scotland?

Marches aren’t really my thing but to be fair not every independence supporter - or any campaigner - can chap doors or approach strangers to chat. By all accounts the Glasgow march went well, and Inverness is decent territory for Yes.

I wouldn’t disagree marches aren’t always effective tbf but I loved the corner of Yes twitter which did nothing but dismiss marchers... particularly RISE and Green types, both parties which their own issues (Ill say it, the Greens are too dependent on Harvie).

2 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

to be fair not every independence supporter - or any campaigner - can chop doors 

Image result for here's johnny

"excuse me madam, have you considered changing the way you vote on Scottish independence?"

Just now, ICTChris said:

If 5,000 people were to attend this march, would that be the biggest protest march in Inverness history?  I can't think of anything larger.

It'll be 5,000, which the marchers will scream, due to a cover-up involving the BBC, the Masons and the Triads, was actually 150,000.

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

It'll be 5,000, which the marchers will scream, due to a cover-up involving the BBC, the Masons and the Triads, was actually 150,000.

Doubt the triads would be involved.  That seems highly unlikely.

Is Castle heather Park the playing fields on Balloan Road?  It's so long since I've been there that I can't remember if there's any other parks there.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If 5,000 people were to attend this march, would that be the biggest protest march in Inverness history?  I can't think of anything larger.

I believe Kim the Busker's "March of a thousand £3 rings" drew a crowd of 11,000.

30 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There was some kind of an apprentice boys march a few years ago which passed by quite close to my house.

I don't know if there was more than 5000 there but it certainly fucking seemed like it.

Marches aren’t really my thing but to be fair not every independence supporter - or any campaigner - can chap doors or approach strangers to chat. By all accounts the Glasgow march went well, and Inverness is decent territory for Yes.

I wouldn’t disagree marches aren’t always effective tbf but I loved the corner of Yes twitter which did nothing but dismiss marchers... particularly RISE and Green types, both parties which their own issues (Ill say it, the Greens are too dependent on Harvie).

RISE criticising other people’s approaches to campaigning after blockading a McDonalds and hiring a car to drive down the High Street is it?

1 hour ago, Sunrise said:

Not just the Greens that are dependent on Harvie. I'm not sure what I'd do without him. Every week at FMQs when he starts his question I see if I can get to the kitchen, boil the kettle, make the tea, and be back sitting down before he's finished asking it.

RISE criticising other people’s approaches to campaigning after blockading a McDonalds and hiring a car to drive down the High Street is it?

Exactly what I was thinking of... [emoji6]

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Butcher Cumberlands army was probably the last big protest march through Inverness, and that fat feckin german ancestor of the present queen set the highlands back years.

If they don't f**k about till they get past the Castle Tavern it shouldn't lose too many waverers, and I suppose it might encourage some youngsters who could be eligible to vote next time. 

I hope for any future indy ref, rise and all the extreme left types are telt to make like a rocket and bolt.

Ack there’s some guid - great in fact - fowk on the Scottish left. As long as they don’t just speak only amongst themselves and flock to Labour when Corbyn gets a bit of momentum, though frankly I don’t see any of these things not happening.

Think it was the SNP’s Doug Daniel who quipped that the left-wing pro-Indy corner of Twitter only speaks to the parts of the country they like... and then complain they don’t get a hearing.

Archived