Your fantasy 11.

Hard b*****d XI

Paul Smith

Doug Rougvie

Roy Barry

Norrie McCathie

Ray Sharp (after he came back to us)

Davie Moyes (no not the shit manager the other one)

Martin Hardie

Sol Bamba

Nat Wedderburn

Andy Smith

Ian Ferguson

Formation, no idea. They would just mutilate the opposition.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved Paul Smith. Different era. Leish would just tell him to go and smash someone in front of the cage early on to get the crowd up for it. Rougvie was terrifying. Loved Ray Sharp. He’d have been locked up long before turning pro these days for some of his tackles. 

Loved Paul Smith. Different era. Leish would just tell him to go and smash someone in front of the cage early on to get the crowd up for it. Rougvie was terrifying. Loved Ray Sharp. He’d have been locked up long before turning pro these days for some of his tackles. 

Paul Smith was a cracking player. Technically gifted and wasn’t afraid to get in about it.

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

You get the feeling that footballers had to be much tougher in the 1980s and early 90s. They seemed a lot bigger and maybe not as athletic. I was just a little bit too young to appreciate the nuances of our players other than I knew that I liked the top goal scorer or the character players.

It was confusing having four Smiths in the same team though. I’ve watched a few games back from then on YouTube the pace was pretty frantic with not much pretty football getting played. Livingston reminded me of that way this season, just raw basic and effective football. There’s something appealing about it.

De Vries

Ashcroft - Wilson - Skerla 

Mason

Cardle  - Nicholson - Kozma -  Gibson

Crawford - Brewster

Subs: McGregor, Shields, Thomson, Geggan, Dempsey, Higgy, Faiss

Alternate 11:

Smith

McCunnie - Harris - Munro - Zambernardi

Harper - Simmons - Kane - D'Angelo

Mole - Tarachulski

Subs: Bernardo, Dearden, Paterson, Daquin, Easton, Dargo, N'Daiye, 

5 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Jamie McDonald

Andy Dowie
Stuart Lovell
Brian Reid

Robbie Neilson
John O’Neill
Jamie Adams
Stevie Tosh
Kevin Holt

Stephen Dobbie
Gavin Reilly

I wouldnt be far away from that to be honest. Maybe Alan Davidson in goal. 

As decent as he was probably not Dowie at centre half. Bobby Parker maybe.

Jamie McAllister or Bob Harris ahead of Holt.

Probably O'Connor ahead of Reilly.

And I would really like to find a place for Tommy Bryce. I suppose its between him and O'Neill.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And I would really like to find a place for Tommy Bryce. I suppose its between him and O'Neill.

From the same era as Bobby Parker and another ex Carlisle man,  Chris Balderstone would be a good shout to run things in the middle of the park. One of the classiest players I've seen at Palmerston. Depends on your age I suppose but Alan Ball would be stick-on as goalie. 

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

From the same era as Bobby Parker and another ex Carlisle man,  Chris Balderstone would be a good shout to run things in the middle of the park. One of the classiest players I've seen at Palmerston. Depends on your age I suppose but Alan Ball would be stick-on as goalie. 

Yeah I never saw Balderstone play and only the odd game at the end of his career for Bally. Allan became a good friend in later life but I didnt start going to Palmerston regularly until Alan Davidson was the keeper.

If I am being honest although I saw Bobby Parker play for a year, I was quite young and probably didnt appreciate his quality enough.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah I never saw Balderstone play and only the odd game at the end of his career for Bally. Allan became a good friend in later life but I didnt start going to Palmerston regularly until Alan Davidson was the keeper.

If I am being honest although I saw Bobby Parker play for a year, I was quite young and probably didnt appreciate his quality enough.

I thought the ex - Carlisle contingent of  Parker,  Balderstone,  O'Neill (Les) and George McVittie were all here at the same time so presumably featured in the same line-ups, unless my memory is again playing tricks. 

25 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I thought the ex - Carlisle contingent of  Parker,  Balderstone,  O'Neill (Les) and George McVittie were all here at the same time so presumably featured in the same line-ups, unless my memory is again playing tricks. 

Parker played in the 85/86 promotion winning side which was my first season. He was with us later than the others who all played in the late 70s.

I liked Lilley as well in his second spell as well, Durnan was also decent but thought he looked a lot better with Dowie beside him IMO.

11 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

I liked Lilley as well in his second spell as well, Durnan was also decent but thought he looked a lot better with Dowie beside him IMO.

I thought Lilley was  a major disappointment in his 2nd spell. Wouldn`t be in my top 10 of central defenders. Mind you I`m pretty old.

Allan Ball

Robbie Neilson

Nobby Clark

Brian Reid 

Mike Barker

Jocky Dempster 

Chris Balderstone

Steve Tosh

Kevin Holt

Stephen Dobbie 

Jim Patterson.    Just vaguely remember him playing but all time top scorer deserves to be in. 

Subs:  Davidson (gk)   McChesney,  OHara,  A.  Thomson,  Bryce.

Others in contention : P. Dickson**,  Bowser,  O'Connor, Lyle. 

** Probably a contender for the "Arseholes" thread also.  Striker who wanted to play fullback and not a very nice chap I believe.

My team from different eras  and playing styles probably get humped but among the best of their times. 

37 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Allan Ball

Robbie Neilson

Nobby Clark

Brian Reid 

Mike Barker

Jocky Dempster 

Chris Balderstone

Steve Tosh

Kevin Holt

Stephen Dobbie 

Jim Patterson.    Just vaguely remember him playing but all time top scorer deserves to be in. 

Subs:  Davidson (gk)   McChesney,  OHara,  A.  Thomson,  Bryce.

Others in contention : P. Dickson**,  Bowser,  O'Connor, Lyle. 

** Probably a contender for the "Arseholes" thread also.  Striker who wanted to play fullback and not a very nice chap I believe.

My team from different eras  and playing styles probably get humped but among the best of their times. 

Some very decent players there. I`m bemused by the thought of Kevin Holt playing left mid ahead of Jimmy Robertson who doesn`t even get into your *others in contention" group. All about opinions though.

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Some very decent players there. I`m bemused by the thought of Kevin Holt playing left mid ahead of Jimmy Robertson who doesn`t even get into your *others in contention" group. All about opinions though.

More about memory though rather than opinions but yes, JR deserves to be in there somewhere.

Archived