Your fantasy 11.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan Ball.

Robbie Neilson, Crawford Boyd, Bobby Parker, Tommy O`Hara.

Jocky Dempster, Tommy Bryce (Mark 2), Stevie Tosh, Jimmy Robertson.

Andy Thomson (1st spell)  Stephen Dobbie.

Others considered include, Jimmy Millar (RB) Brian Reid (CB) John O`Neil (MF) Sean O`Connor (Striker). Iain McChesney (played pretty much everywhere for us) Derek Lyle (striker), Chris Balderstone (MF)

Almost certainly other excellent players I`ve forgotten

5 hours ago, Lancashirearab said:

1. Hamish McAlpine

2. Richard Gough

3. Andy Robertson

4 Jim McInally

5. Paul Hegarty

6. David Narey

7. Eamon Bannon

8. Ralph Milne

9. Andy Gray

10. Paul Sturrock

11. Graham Payne

No Malpas?

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Was Robbie Neilson not only a loan player at Queens for half a season? Hardly legend material!

Wasnt even half a season. It was about 3 months. He was outstanding in it though. Best right back I have seen play for us.

3 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Was Robbie Neilson not only a loan player at Queens for half a season? Hardly legend material!

The thread isn`t about being legend material. It`s dream team.  I considered Neil Orr in central defence who I doubt even played 10 games for us. He was excellent in those  games though.

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Allan Ball.

Robbie Neilson, Crawford Boyd, Bobby Parker, Tommy O`Hara.

Jocky Dempster, Tommy Bryce (Mark 2), Stevie Tosh, Jimmy Robertson.

Andy Thomson (1st spell)  Stephen Dobbie.

Others considered include, Jimmy Millar (RB) Brian Reid (CB) John O`Neil (MF) Sean O`Connor (Striker). Iain McChesney (played pretty much everywhere for us) Derek Lyle (striker), Chris Balderstone (MF)

Almost certainly other excellent players I`ve forgotten

Jimmy Miller,  another great player I missed on my list.  McChesney was indeed a versatile player and handy to have about as he often maintained the floodlights. 

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Jimmy Miller,  another great player I missed on my list.  McChesney was indeed a versatile player and handy to have about as he often maintained the floodlights. 

Queens must have other options at right back over the years, despite Neilson being impressive in his brief loan at the club. Thoughts?

5 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The thread isn`t about being legend material. It`s dream team.  I considered Neil Orr in central defence who I doubt even played 10 games for us. He was excellent in those  games though.

So did I. He was terrific, albeit at a lower level. I think he only played 4 or 5 games.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Queens must have other options at right back over the years, despite Neilson being impressive in his brief loan at the club. Thoughts?

I think sseveral Queens fans already pointed out he has clearly been our best right back  in at least 30 years.

Jamie MacDonald was also only on loan albeit for 18 months.

38 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The aforementioned Jimmy Millar and Ian McChesney, even Peter Dickson moved from striker to right back and was decent. More recently the late Chris Mitchell played at right back but his strength was more going forward and getting good crosses in or dead ball deliveries.  The actual defensive side of his game was not strong imo whereas fullbacks from earlier eras first priority was to defend and push forward in support if possible. There are probably other players worthy of  an honourable mention if I were to check back to jog my memory. It   Robbie Neilson,  loan player or not,  is a worthy inclusion as he was strong defensively,  could get forward in support and had great reading of the game. 

25 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The aforementioned Jimmy Millar and Ian McChesney, even Peter Dickson moved from striker to right back and was decent. More recently the late Chris Mitchell played at right back but his strength was more going forward and getting good crosses in or dead ball deliveries.  The actual defensive side of his game was not strong imo whereas fullbacks from earlier eras first priority was to defend and push forward in support if possible. There are probably other players worthy of  an honourable mention if I were to check back to jog my memory. It   Robbie Neilson,  loan player or not,  is a worthy inclusion as he was strong defensively,  could get forward in support and had great reading of the game. 

Yeah if I was forced not to include Neilson then Chris Mitchell would be my next choice but Neilson was better. No idea why he wasnt playing for Hearts instead of going oit on loan. 

Millar and Dickson are before my time and I only saw McChesney a couple of times at the end of his career same as Allan Ball.

Is Eric Paton a shout for right-back?  He was lacking a yard of pace to play at a higher level but I really enjoyed watching him play for us.  A really classy player who came across as a good pro as well.

I don't remember ever seeing Neilson play for us so I'd probably have him or Chris Mitchell.

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Is Eric Paton a shout for right-back?  He was lacking a yard of pace to play at a higher level but I really enjoyed watching him play for us.  A really classy player who came across as a good pro as well.

I don't remember ever seeing Neilson play for us so I'd probably have him or Chris Mitchell.

Eric Paton is who I would pick. Alan Gray was excellent the season we won the 2nd Division as well but struggled in the 1st division.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So did I. He was terrific, albeit at a lower level. I think he only played 4 or 5 games.

Did he play any games at right back for Queens or part of a back 3? For some reason my memory of him was as a full back.

15 minutes ago, spacekid84 said:

Eric Paton is who I would pick. Alan Gray was excellent the season we won the 2nd Division as well but struggled in the 1st division.

Did he play any games at right back for Queens or part of a back 3? For some reason my memory of him was as a full back.

Neil Orr? Played them all at sweeper in a back three I think. But Lovell was probably better in that role for longer.

Eric Paton was a great player with that shoulder drop but he was weak defensively and Mitchell was better with his crossing. Neilson could do it at both ends and had that throw in too.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Neil Orr? Played them all at sweeper in a back three I think. But Lovell was probably better in that role for longer.

Eric Paton was a great player with that shoulder drop but he was weak defensively and Mitchell was better with his crossing. Neilson could do it at both ends and had that throw in too.

If I recall,  Lovell got a bit of criticism for his midfield performances but looked very comfortable at sweeper.  

This style of thread has almost certainly been done before and I probably picked a totally different team then to this one now, ask me in a week and it will likely have changed again.

Clark

Reid

Lovell

Higgins

Burns

Tosh

Macfarlane

Young

Harris

Dobbie

Lyle

I think Reid, Tosh, Harris and Dobbie would get in every time.

Goalkeeper was between Clark, Macdonald and Scott.

Not much in it between Higgins, Dowie and Jim Thomson, but I loved Higgins he was a great captain.

We’ve had lots of options in central midfield. It’s pretty scandalous that I’ve left out John O’Neil. Macfarlane and Tosh worked so well together though, and Derek Young is Derek Young. I was tempted to include Willie McLaren on the left, for all he was an arse, when he was in the mood he’s as good as I’ve seen.

Up front it should really be Dobbie and O’Connor but I had to include Lyle. Reilly would make the bench.

The likes of Mathieson, Rowe, Bryce and Mallan were my early heroes but I was too young to be able to compare them with more recent players.

Archived