High Tech, High Spec Expensive Technology

Thought I'd start a thread on expensive high tech items and do you only ever buy the higher end brands not because they are expensive but because they actually perform and look better.

Being a bit of a techno-snob myself I tend to buy at the higher end of the market with particular items. Having seen my daughter through University I have now found myself with a bit of cash and I am in the market to update a few of my electrical items.

Last year I took the plunge and forked out for a 4K TV seeing as I had taken out the 4K TV package from BT and ended up with a Panasonic TX55-802b HDR 4K TV, at the time it was one of the highest spec TV's Panasonic made. Was purchased for a variety of reasons, mainly the brilliant reviews on it's picture quality and it's award winning built in sound bar but more importantly it was only £800 from Panasonic themselves and it was a refurbished item saving me easily £400+ in the process. The picture and sound are both out of this world and it's designer frame oozes quality and class.

I don't mind refurbs and have had little or no problems buying them as they come with the same warranty as new and they are cheaper saving cash for other stuff.

I am now looking to build a new PC and will probably buy a few items second hand just to save a few pounds here and there and currently my guesstimate is topping well over £2,000 because I need particular high end components for video editing and sound production. I'm also building to accommodate and play Virtual Reality games and 3d film content, so the rig will be at the higher end of performance and total overkill to get insulted and abused on a internet forum. :)

My audio equipment is outdated and will be moving up to a digital amp with 4K capability and the many surround sound formats especially Dolby Atmosphere. I'll probably throw well over £1,000 at the amp and buy a top notch surround speaker package to enjoy the crystal clear clarity sound at 100 watts for movies.

Anyone else only ever buy at the higher end of the market because they clearly notice a difference in performance and usually they look ascetically pleasing to the eye? Or do you buy high end because cheaper is not an option? Or maybe you're just a c**t and like to brag like f**k at how much your shit costs?

Given you could easily spend 2 grand on a headphone amp, I get the impression you'd be surprised at what "the higher end of the market" actually is, particularly in home audio equipment. Your circa £1000 budget for an amp would barely be change from one at the higher end of the market. You could easily spend 5 figures on one and still be nowhere near the higher end, and that's not even mentioning the speaker market.

On 23/07/2018 at 11:04, Al B said:

Given you could easily spend 2 grand on a headphone amp, I get the impression you'd be surprised at what "the higher end of the market" actually is, particularly in home audio equipment. Your circa £1000 budget for an amp would barely be change from one at the higher end of the market. You could easily spend 5 figures on one and still be nowhere near the higher end, and that's not even mentioning the speaker market.

Yeah I get that there is a connoisseurs market for extreme high tech items with designer and cutting edge manufacturers. I was probably pointing towards what normal people call  expensive high tech in the region of at least 4 figures or more. Having drooled myself at tech priced in the 5 figure bracket I feel that personally once you go past 1,2 or 3 grand there really is no discernible difference in the quality of the output. Once you reach extreme prices the higher spec can only be detectable by precision instruments that the eye or ear cannot perceive and most times can be little or no gain in the quality at all. That's just by my personal experience by the way. Paying huge amounts just because it looks good but does not perform better than it's cheaper competitors is really only about bragging how much it cost rather than how it performs as a high spec.high tech item.

As for speakers? :lol: they really only come down to personal choice of the quality of sound formed by many different construction components, and £10 grand speakers can sound no different than a high quality pair costing less than a tenth of them.

Probably would have been better to post in the initial OP that I meant high tech, high spec stuff you can actually hear, see or tell a huge or notable difference from lesser priced affordable technology. Stuff that could be considered luxury goods to most of us on the forum and  not the w**k ma brains oot extremely expensive designer tech that costs 10 times more for no discernible gain in quality of the output other than it cost a mortgage to buy it.

Archived