Pricing woes

jimbaxters

38 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Be interesting to see how the 508 is broken down between season tickets, full paying adults and various concessions. 200 @ £14 = £2800 plus say 200 half price = £1400, maybe a 100 season tickets? Add in programmes and catering. 5K for a bunch of amateurs.

Total staff say about 6 people.

£4500 profit?

I don't think any clubs include cup games on season tickets.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and I hadn't even factored that in. But even with them paying to get to his £5k figure there is no way that Queens make his stated profit - as anyone with any idea of finance will know.

Still this thread does tell me that Toots and iPhone have never run their own businesses.

Apparently plucking numbers out of thin air now constitutes financial analysis.

Our resident accountant has also failed to factor in charges for water and electricity, which is something you at least have in the senior game.

Answer time - 

...and he also forgot, rather importantly, the VAT which will have to be paid on monies incoming (so there immediately goes a healthy share of the "profit") and also regulation 10, I think it is, of the Competition rules about Gate Sharing in the cup. I know the Juniors have a rather cavalier attitude to finance  but surely everyone knows about VAT at least?

Is this the same VAT that is reclaimed by anyone who pays it on any outgoings they have? Hence returning at least a portion of the profit. As I said in my earlier post. Snobbery to prove we’re better than you is a major obstacle to football in Scotland progressing.

6 minutes ago, drs said:

Answer time - 

...and he also forgot, rather importantly, the VAT which will have to be paid on monies incoming (so there immediately goes a healthy share of the "profit") and also regulation 10, I think it is, of the Competition rules about Gate Sharing in the cup. I know the Juniors have a rather cavalier attitude to finance  but surely everyone knows about VAT at least?

It’s corporation tax I pay on my profit!!

Condescending posts about not knowing the finer financial realities  about running a club asides ( how many football fans at any level actually do ) ... 

Couple of points.

1 £14 would seem from any reasonable perspective - too much to pay for that kind of game. Its obviously attracted the usual Queens turnout plus a few from Spartans that want to see their team at the National stadium. Possibly not many in the way of neutrals though which was the point the OP was trying to make.

2 Now is probably not the time to be winding up Queens fans about playing at Hampden. They're literally a decision away from having probably to sell the place or give control to SFA so a particularly stressful time for the grand old club. I think they, more than any, have an idea of the difficulties of playing at so big a stadium.

Hope it works out for them ... and Scotland. Keep Hampden I say

15 hours ago, Menzel said:

Apparently plucking numbers out of thin air now constitutes financial analysis.

Our resident accountant has also failed to factor in charges for water and electricity, which is something you at least have in the senior game.

Hardly unique to the senior game!

I paid £ 10 to go to Falkirk last weekend, £ 12 at Stenhousemuir. There are big differences between what clubs charge. In senior non-league I only pay around £ 6 on average, some teams maybe £ 7 or £ 8, others only £ 5 or £ 4. A junior club joining senior football can easily keep charging £ 6 in tier 6/5 and not look out of place at all. If they get into SPFL2, there is still nothing that will force them to suddenly charge over £ 10...

I paid £ 10 to go to Falkirk last weekend, £ 12 at Stenhousemuir. There are big differences between what clubs charge. In senior non-league I only pay around £ 6 on average, some teams maybe £ 7 or £ 8, others only £ 5 or £ 4. A junior club joining senior football can easily keep charging £ 6 in tier 6/5 and not look out of place at all. If they get into SPFL2, there is still nothing that will force them to suddenly charge over £ 10...

The thing that always bewilderes me is that some junior fans use pricing as a stick to beat the senior game with. There are times where it looks like individual clubs (or two clubs for cup ties) take the piss. But for some that's treated like it's an rule that by just being senior their own club would be forced to charge.

Does this whole argument not come down to one factor? 

Clubs nowadays (outwith top league sides in spfl) dont really try to project way into the future, they tend to focus on what amount of money will allow them to cover their running costs across the season, so if a club know they will get their Hardcore 300 to 500 fans or even 50 to 70 each week they will predominantly charge what they know is a fee that allows them to cover their costs whilst making marginal profits. 

Now in an ideal world every club would charge 2 to 6 quid less in an attempt to get more people at games, I am sure they will have tried this but for that to work they would have to guarantee a certain number in excess of their current gate just to make the same money..... Sadly that is a massive risk to some of these clubs who all seem to have their hardcore fans attending no matter the cost of a ticket or season ticket. 

For those wanting to watch a game the short answer us simple really, if you see the price and you don't want to pay it then don't pay it. I'm sure no one is held to ransom or is pushed through the turnstile. If the clubs could afford to charge less I'm sure they would, their profit margin won't be massive right now, that is for sure.... 

On 21/07/2018 at 19:07, kenny131 said:

I was paying 8 euros to go watch hannover96 in the bundislega place was packed out near every game and the away section was always sold out.

How many years ago was that?

I was 25 euro for a st Pauli game 18 months ago. Sold out in near sub zero conditions and sure they were bottom / near bottom of the first division at that point.

Atmosphere was amazing, was on a stag and we stood up back of stand instead of in our seats, could have a drink while watching not one steward bothered us whole game

And to add, the match experience shat all over anything Scotland has to offer, not the quality though, was surprised how poor it was

As the above have mentioned, folk talking about getting into top flight games on the continent for two jam jars and a wagon wheel are maybe looking back with misty eyed goggles or haven't been for a while or haven't been at all... The most recent top flight games on the continent I've been to have all cost between 20 and 40 euro for a standard ticket (or have been more expensive via viagogo or someone but that was the face value). That's been in Itay, Germany and the Netherlands. You can get a season ticket for some big clubs for quite a small outlay but you usually have to be a member of some description.

Archived