Pricing woes

jimbaxters

I’ve just arrived in Glasgow today so wanted to take on a match in the city rather than go back down home. Was too late for 2pm juniors games so looked to see what was on.

Queens Park v Spartans in the Betfred cup fit the bill...until I searched for the entrance cost. £14. Fourteen notes!!!! Why would anyone pay that for such a daft match?

Is this price set by the SPFL? I didn’t realise it was so high. I honestly used to see matches at the San Siro for less. No wonder we all sit at home watching the World Cup rather than mixing it with the big boys, like Panama and Iceland. 

Or am I just being mooley?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve just arrived in Glasgow today so wanted to take on a match in the city rather than go back down home. Was too late for 2pm juniors games so looked to see what was on.

Queens Park v Spartans in the Betfred cup fit the bill...until I searched for the entrance cost. £14. Fourteen notes!!!! Why would anyone pay that for such a daft match?

Is this price set by the SPFL? I didn’t realise it was so high. I honestly used to see matches at the San Siro for less. No wonder we all sit at home watching the World Cup rather than mixing it with the big boys, like Panama and Iceland. 

Or am I just being mooley?

That's why everybody wants to join the Pyramid Jim. Because they think it's the promised land. #DELUDED

Oh, I never believed for a moment this thread would go all lets not join the pyramid :whistle 

£14 for a Queen's Park Betfred Cup match is too much. As is £15 for Dundee United - as the crowd number today indicates. But why are crowds at 95% of junior games still well lower at less than half the price?

For the record, that’s not what I was getting at. Just the overpricing (and therefore inaccessibility to many) of our game. 

Its not a Junior forum issue but I loved watching the World Cup and wanted to be there. Something is wrong somewhere. Maybe the fact we have to pay this for a fourth level match has something to do with it.

9 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Oh, I never believed for a moment this thread would go all lets not join the pyramid :whistle 

£14 for a Queen's Park Betfred Cup match is too much. As is £15 for Dundee United - as the crowd number today indicates. But why are crowds at 95% of junior games still well lower at less than half the price?

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Bet there was more there than are at a Hurlford game in the League Cup....

Both making the same point really and I don’t have an answer. Maybe because we are Junior supporters means we have more desire to watch a Junior match. Maybe if our marketing was better...or existed...more people would see the value, or reason to bodyswerve these prices.

Honestly, you can watch Inter or AC Milan for a tenner.

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

For the record, that’s not what I was getting at. Just the overpricing (and therefore inaccessibility to many) of our game. 

Its not a Junior forum issue but I loved watching the World Cup and wanted to be there. Something is wrong somewhere. Maybe the fact we have to pay this for a fourth level match has something to do with it.

Fans being priced out will not affect our chances of going to a world cup, the problem is Scottish football is run in the interest of two teams and two teams only. What does it say for the Scottish game when the 2nd best team are losing one of their best players to a national league side in England.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Both making the same point really and I don’t have an answer. Maybe because we are Junior supporters means we have more desire to watch a Junior match. Maybe if our marketing was better...or existed...more people would see the value, or reason to bodyswerve these prices.

Honestly, you can watch Inter or AC Milan for a tenner.

I'm not saying £14 is right, but the fact is there are plenty of people willing to pay it, 508 to be exact.

I believe a game or two in last seasons Junior Cup Semi's barely got much more than that.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

I'm not saying £14 is right, but the fact is there are plenty of people willing to pay it, 508 to be exact.

I believe a game or two in last seasons Junior Cup Semi's barely got much more than that.

508 eh? Imagine what could happen if they charged £8-10.

Clubs charge at the level that brings in the  most cash, not the biggest gate. Queen's Park charging <£10 wouldn't have brought in many more fans, they'd make less cash, so wouldn't be worth it. It's simple economics. 

There's no excuse for some of the pricing other than trying to squeeze every last penny out of the fans.

Hearts are only charging a tenner for adults in their home Betfred games (unless they get kicked out of course!)

10 minutes ago, Gimme said:

There's no excuse for some of the pricing other than trying to squeeze every last penny out of the fans.

I guess the stewards, catering staff and any police needed are working for free then.

4 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Everyone has those costs to pay yet others manage to keep costs down for fans.

I had no idea that Junior teams played in 50,000 capacity venues; or had larger crowds to counter the financial offset.

I had no idea that Junior teams played in 50,000 capacity venues; or had larger crowds to counter the financial offset.
I've no idea what your on about,, I've made no reference to Junior clubs but have referenced Hearts charging a tenner, Spartans are charging £12 for the visit of Kilmarnock, Raith Rovers was a tenner against Cowdenbeath. IMHO those prices are about right, charging more in the early stages of the Betfred cup is simply fleecing the fans.

Archived