Competing with English Football

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Each to their own, but it's the same reaction I give to Aberdonians who support Man U "because of Fergie".  

I took an interest in Man Utd because of Fergie, same as I will take an interest in Sunderland’s results under Jack Ross, or I looked out for Barnsley’s results for a while, to see how Stevie Mallan was getting on (he wasn’t). I don’t support them though, or start wearing their jersey.... as I said, the reasons I support Newcastle are that for donkeys years I liked visiting the city, I like the people, the one city one team vibe, the fact they are close to Scotland, and they share St Mirren’s black and white stripes. Me. Bad. Man. :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I took an interest in Man Utd because of Fergie, same as I will take an interest in Sunderland’s results under Jack Ross, or I looked out for Barnsley’s results for a while, to see how Stevie Mallan was getting on (he wasn’t). I don’t support them though, or start wearing their jersey.... as I said, the reasons I support Newcastle are that for donkeys years I liked visiting the city, I like the people, the one city one team vibe, the fact they are close to Scotland, and they share St Mirren’s black and white stripes. Me. Bad. Man. :)

I've nothing against you mate, when I say each to their own I mean it.

Colour me a bitter Scottish football fan that wishes more people in Scotland wanted to watch it other than the pish down South.  Sounds like you support the game up here in any case so fair play.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I've nothing against you mate, when I say each to their own I mean it.

Colour me a bitter Scottish football fan that wishes more people in Scotland wanted to watch it other than the pish down South.  Sounds like you support the game up here in any case so fair play.

No offence taken. I would never miss a St Mirren home game to watch an English TV game, but if Newcastle v Spurs was on one channel with Hearts v Mike Ashley’s Works XI on the other, then I’m watching Newcastle. 

As I’m an early riser, even at weekends, there’s really bugger all else on to watch than the EPL games shown wall to wall at weekends here. I like to watch football so shoot me!
However there are plenty games that are boring so I end up doing mundane things like laundry, ironing, cleaning etc and only look up at a “highlight” moment.
I don’t care enough to ever “want” a team to win or lose, maybe that’s the issue?
If I had access to live SPFL any game (any of the 4 leagues) it would probably be very different.
I did have RedTV (naturally) but it and the customer service supporting it wasn’t worth the money, so I’ve made my bed and will lie in it.

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

As I’m an early riser, even at weekends, there’s really bugger all else on to watch than the EPL games shown wall to wall at weekends here. I like to watch football so shoot me!
However there are plenty games that are boring so I end up doing mundane things like laundry, ironing, cleaning etc and only look up at a “highlight” moment.
I don’t care enough to ever “want” a team to win or lose, maybe that’s the issue?
If I had access to live SPFL any game (any of the 4 leagues) it would probably be very different.
I did have RedTV (naturally) but it and the customer service supporting it wasn’t worth the money, so I’ve made my bed and will lie in it.

Is making your bed one of the mundane tasks you do when you get up early?

On 31/07/2018 at 09:07, pozbaird said:

What utter rubbish. There’s almost 24/7 365 days a year football on TV somewhere, from Europe to South America, to the J League, A League, and now the Chinese Superleague. All I said is I don’t sit down to watch those leagues, I watch the EPL because as a football fan, yes, a football fan, who has grown up in the UK, I have an interest in, and something of an understanding of, English football teams and their cities. Not a football fan? I was at Johnstone Burgh’s Scottish Junior Cup win, and was a regular at Keanie Park in the late 60s and 70s. I was sat in the main stand with relatives as a kid and watched the 1971 Partick Thistle League Cup win over Celtic. I travelled midweek regularly to St Mirren away games in the bloody Anglo Scottish Cup.

Now I’m a bit older, I choose to watch English football on TV and try to get to a few games, but I have no interest in Dutch, Chinese or Spanish football. Big deal. Everyone likes their own thing.

Yes you're not a football fan.  You openly admit you have no interest in watching the best teams in the world.  If you were a football fan you would.  You are into the tribalism surrounding the game not the game itself.  That's patently obvious.  If you were into the game itself you'd want to watch the best version of it available.

I actually agree with you.  Messi is a joy to watch and anybody that likes the game has to appreciate watching the second best player of all time. The best is obviously Carlton Palmer but that goes without saying. 

^^^^ never saw Darren Mackie in his pomp

7 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I actually agree with you.  Messi is a joy to watch and anybody that likes the game has to appreciate watching the second best player of all time. The best is obviously Carlton Palmer but that goes without saying. 

For those of a younger disposition, here is Palmer warming up before a Leeds game.

58E1AF17-B614-4380-AA32-6096C523A550.gif

Archived