Competing with English Football

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, sergie said:
The fact is we can't compete with English football, we need to stop trying to draw comparisons between our game and their's (grammar police will probably be on top of that). It is a different beast altogether, one which is also ready for imploding.
Last week Bolton pulled out of our friendly with them the night before the game because their players went on strike due to wages not being paid. There are a few clubs in some state down South, some have already spent this seasons tv money last season. It is wild, some might say tinpot.
Give me our game ahead of that shower of shite any day of the week. We aren't perfect but we haven't sold our soul to the devil. I'd rather see young Scots like McLean, McGinn, Mallan, Morgan and our current gem Magennis get a chance in the team ahead of some journeymen who will demand 2k a week.

When it does go pop it's going to make Sevco look like a tea party.

It's bound to collapse at this rate.  Salford's average attendance was 1611 last year, while Aberdeen's was 15,633 so just a hair over 1/10th yet they are spending double what the Dons were spending on Rooney's wages, it's not sustainable.  I'm not going to say it's as bad as Gretna but if something does go sour it will collapse like Gretna did

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, sergie said:
The fact is we can't compete with English football, we need to stop trying to draw comparisons between our game and their's (grammar police will probably be on top of that). It is a different beast altogether, one which is also ready for imploding.
Last week Bolton pulled out of our friendly with them the night before the game because their players went on strike due to wages not being paid. There are a few clubs in some state down South, some have already spent this seasons tv money last season. It is wild, some might say tinpot.
Give me our game ahead of that shower of shite any day of the week. We aren't perfect but we haven't sold our soul to the devil. I'd rather see young Scots like McLean, McGinn, Mallan, Morgan and our current gem Magennis get a chance in the team ahead of some journeymen who will demand 2k a week.

When it does go pop it's going to make Sevco look like a tea party.

Yup, a case of when, not if, the bubble pops. 

Streaming sites are already stealing viewers from Sky and BT, so logically the amount of money they'll invest in the English game will start to decline now, and nobody else will go near the amounts those two did a year or two ago. 

It'll be glorious. 

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

There are some very wealthy clubs in the English fifth tier- AFC Fylde are another who have been built up from scratch by very wealthy local businessmen, in the last twenty years, having risen from not much more than pub football to the National League. Fleetwood are another example, now in League One, funded by a massively wealthy character who (I think) made his money in offshore gas. They made it from the North West Counties League to League One in little over a decade on his wealth.

Salford are half owned by the five ex-Man U players who were earning stratospheric money at the top level for over a decade. They may be brash and new, without that money they'd still be playing in front of twenty old men in the lower reaches of the North West Counties League. But the money won't dry up and they clearly are very ambitious to progress. I can't see why it's such a problem.

The only remaining comparison between Scotland and England is that we're neighbours, and some shared history, tradition and rivalry. 2018 isn't a very sentimental world however and history and tradition don't really count for anything.

Other than that, we simply cannot compete on money terms at all. Sad but true. It's the same for most leagues from small and medium sized countries whose best players are off abroad as soon as they get a decent offer.

Fleetwood IMO a slightly different case - I watched non-league in England throughout the 90s and then they were comfortably level 6 being watched by 300-400 or so, in the HFS Loans League which became the Northern Premier and eventually a significant proportion of its members were hoovered up into the Conference North years later. I didn't know they dropped so low as the NCL - seems ike their backer came along at an opportune time.

Meh

Celtic can't compete with Southampton financially so Aberdeen having to sell to Salford City is about right.

Who cares.

Our football is what it is and it's fucking marvellous. Yeah, yeah, technically speaking it's shite but it's still marvellous.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

This past week we’ve seen Aberdeen’s Adam Rooney move to Salford City, a National League (English tier 5) side for a little under 400k and he’s going to earn at least 4K a week. Fair play tbh, who can blame him?

Should we be concerned that Aberdeen - last seasons Scottish top flight runners up, a club with a proud history in domestic and European football cannot compete financially with some diddy club from England’s League 5? On paper it doesn’t make for good reading. If we should be concerned, is there anything that can be done about it? Will more clubs in England slowly come into money like Salford or are they just another Gretna?

At the end of the day, the wealth in English football is sickening and I’d take our “pub league” over the tourist league any day.

did Aberdeen want to keep him?

3 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Meh

Celtic can't compete with Southampton financially so Aberdeen having to sell to Salford City is about right.

Who cares.

Our football is what it is and it's fucking marvellous. Yeah, yeah, technically speaking it's shite but it's still marvellous.

we haven't lost a 1st 11 player for a while now,  but i'm sure if we get k/o pre group stages then Dembele and/or KT will be sold

1 minute ago, Booker-T said:

did Aberdeen want to keep him?

They've been trying for ages to get that Marquis c**t, who would've pushed Rooney further down the pecking order. He's been linked with about 5 teams this sumner alone and even the Aberdeen fans say he's a LOT slower nowadays.

The money in English football is the reason their national team aren’t at the top table imo. 

They can attract the top foreign players by offering them mental wages, and as a result the English players are benched or sold. 

Bar Harry Kane, none of the England team are the top players at their club’s, and it’s shows. 

They want the best players in the world playing there and also the best national team, but they can’t have it both ways.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

They've been trying for ages to get that Marquis c**t, who would've pushed Rooney further down the pecking order. He's been linked with about 5 teams this sumner alone and even the Aberdeen fans say he's a LOT slower nowadays.

I think Rooney knew his days were numbered at Aberdeen and he wouldn't get a game for any other big Scottish club (possible exception of sevco) - so i think his move suited everyone.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

The money in English football is the reason their national team aren’t at the top table imo. 

They can attract the top foreign players by offering them mental wages, and as a result the English players are benched or sold. 

Bar Harry Kane, none of the England team are the top players at their club’s, and it’s shows. 

They want the best players in the world playing there and also the best national team, but they can’t have it both ways.

do they still attract the top foreign players...  Kane will be off as soon as a big club makes a move and the real money grabbers are going to China...

4 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

we haven't lost a 1st 11 player for a while now,  but i'm sure if we get k/o pre group stages then Dembele and/or KT will be sold

What's the UCL Group worth to Celtic? About £25M - £30M? Of a turnover around £90M.

Southampton's (St Mary Football Group) turnover last year was £182 million. It's ridiculous. They're football runts in every aspect by comparison except financial and that is entirely due to a quirk of geography.

When the bubble bursts (or at least deflates) it'll be the Southamptons that crash & burn because the Greedy b*****d Global Brand clubs will demand a bigger slice of a smaller cake.

1 minute ago, EdTheDuck said:

What's the UCL Group worth to Celtic? About £25M - £30M? Of a turnover around £90M.

Southampton's (St Mary Football Group) turnover last year was £182 million. It's ridiculous. They're football runts in every aspect by comparison except financial and that is entirely due to a quirk of geography.

When the bubble bursts (or at least deflates) it'll be the Southamptons that crash & burn because the Greedy b*****d Global Brand clubs will demand a bigger slice of a smaller cake.

I'd imagine UCL means more to the players than the club.... it's their exposure and i'd imagine  players gain bonuses from it 

They don't need high attendance because they have a massive TV contract when we were busy messing around with Satanta (remember them?)

The SFA dropped the ball a very long time ago and in truth there are more people watching English football globally than Scottish football. 

I'm guessing that money is also filtered down the league's better and is probably how dafty teams with 1k average attendance can afford to massively outdo us.

But you know what they can keep that money because I personally find Scottish football more interesting.

It's purely down to TV and advertising. If that money should ever dry up it will make for interesting news.

Tomorrow I'm travelling to watch my "pishy wee Sunday league club" play in a stadium with one stand, where its likely we'll be battered by wind and rain, and see numerous balls end up hitting cars in the streets nearby. 

Man City fans will be sitting in front of their laptops watching their club play a friendly in America.

I know what I'd rather be doing tbh. It's a shite, brutal, disheartening slog of an existence, but at least we don't end up sat next to bus loads of touristy c***s who cheers both sides and spend the entire game taking photos for their Instagram stories. 

f**k Jim White. 

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Fleetwood IMO a slightly different case - I watched non-league in England throughout the 90s and then they were comfortably level 6 being watched by 300-400 or so, in the HFS Loans League which became the Northern Premier and eventually a significant proportion of its members were hoovered up into the Conference North years later. I didn't know they dropped so low as the NCL - seems ike their backer came along at an opportune time.

The original club went bust in the mid 90s and re-formed as Fleetwood Freeport in the NWCL...the moneybags owner began ramping up the finance at the turn of the century

11 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The original club went bust in the mid 90s and re-formed as Fleetwood Freeport in the NWCL...the moneybags owner began ramping up the finance at the turn of the century

Ah that will explain it!

Archived