Rip it Up

Newbornbairn

8 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Apologies if already covered but there's a really good programme on iPlayer about the history of Scottish pop 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bbbv4w/rip-it-up-series-1-1-blazing-a-trail

Well worth a watch

Enjoyed it too.  2 more parts to go.

Particularly enjoyed the guy from Nazareth telling stories about coming home to Dunfermline and being telt to beat it by a neighbour, and the Average White Band being totally starstruck when Marvin Gaye sang with them one time, despite them being massive in the States themselves.

Also interesting to hear the claims that Lulu's accent is what it is, because the BBC told her she had to change her Glasgow accent if she wanted continued exposure on TV.

On 7/22/2018 at 15:07, The Naitch said:

Interesting first episode.

Also visited the exhibition on this at the National Museum in Edinburgh yesterday - that was £10 very well spent.

Planning on visiting this when I'm through for some Fringe shows. Really looking forward to it.

Planning on visiting this when I'm through for some Fringe shows. Really looking forward to it.
Went to the exhibition last week. I enjoyed it all tho the indy scene by passed at the time. Checked out some on ITunes. Seen part one on BBC. The links were a bit naff but I thought it was good.

Ha! Just watched the start of the second episode and Jim Kerr's Donna Summer story. He told me something similar in 86 or 87 at Glasgow Green just after Elaine C Smith had tried performing "I feel love" to a crowd of Trade Unionists on Glasgow Green (she got hauled off the stage later when, smashed out her skull she gave a 15 minute rendition of "Stand by yerrrr maaannnnn".  You had to be there.

Watched the 3rd last night, will try and watch the first two soon.

I really liked it, although selfishly I hoped they would cover more of the rave scene. Obviously there is only so much you can fit in to an hour but It only showed Slam/Soma. Which didn't quite tell the story of how I remember the early/mid 90's rave scene.

ETA In the second episode I'm pretty sure the guy farting about with the massive synths is an old workmate, Ken MacBeth.

10 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Watched the 3rd last night, will try and watch the first two soon.

I really liked it, although selfishly I hoped they would cover more of the rave scene. Obviously there is only so much you can fit in to an hour but It only showed Slam/Soma. Which didn't quite tell the story of how I remember the early/mid 90's rave scene.

ETA In the second episode I'm pretty sure the guy farting about with the massive synths is an old workmate, Ken MacBeth.

If you can remember the 90s rave scene, you weren't there, man.

Missed opportunity.

3 shows was nowhere near enough to do Scottish music justice. Faye Fife is an absolute arsehole who overstated The Rezillos importance to punk. Richard Jobson was just as bad. The guy from Nazareth came across really well and was interesting to listen to.

The shows were just way too scattergun, missing a load of very good bands. No mention of Hipsway or Love and Money during their bit about the 80s? A relatively short bit about Teenage Fanclub - given as little (or as much) coverage as The Vaselines (who were bigged up on the show only because of their link with Nirvana). Nothing about Belle and Sebastian despite interviewing Stuart Murdoch. No Camera Obscura. No 90s bands like Urusei Yatsura or Yummy Fur. Almost nothing about The Delgados (although a bit about Chemikal Underground).

It could, and should, have been so much better

On 8/2/2018 at 18:56, BallochSonsFan said:

Missed opportunity.

3 shows was nowhere near enough to do Scottish music justice. Faye Fife is an absolute arsehole who overstated The Rezillos importance to punk. Richard Jobson was just as bad. The guy from Nazareth came across really well and was interesting to listen to.

The shows were just way too scattergun, missing a load of very good bands. No mention of Hipsway or Love and Money during their bit about the 80s? A relatively short bit about Teenage Fanclub - given as little (or as much) coverage as The Vaselines (who were bigged up on the show only because of their link with Nirvana). Nothing about Belle and Sebastian despite interviewing Stuart Murdoch. No Camera Obscura. No 90s bands like Urusei Yatsura or Yummy Fur. Almost nothing about The Delgados (although a bit about Chemikal Underground).

It could, and should, have been so much better

I get this, but I think your point about it not being long enough to do Scottish music justice essentially address the grievances about the missed artists. The folk who made it only had a certain amount of time and had to make decisions about what to include and not. Impossible to cover it all and everyone will have their own thoughts on what should have found some air time.

Thoroughly enjoyed the series all in. If only it was a 10 parter!

Archived