What Saints?

7 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Apparently it comes from a game in the 80's at easter road, Saints fansuses this in reply to the Hibs fans chant of Hibees.

Saints is the Club/Team, Saintees always refers to the people.

"Saintees" does sound gay. There is nothing wrong with that, and so you be you.

I've always known St Johnstone as Fake Saints simply because historically they've resided in the lower leagues while St Mirren tended to exist higher up the league structure.

That's obviously not really been the case in the last couple of decades, but overall the success of the Paisley saints over their lesser countryside namesakes is shown up by the stats; for example St Johnstone have never won a League Cup while St Mirren have or the case that while St Johnstone have won the Scottish Cup once that is trumped by St Mirren winning it 3 times. Then there are things like the stadium, fan base, catchment area and the like, all these favour the Paisley club.

I don't hold this view due to hubris or some dislike for our farming cousins, if anything I applaud their resilience at managing to punch above their weight over the last 15 years or so. Despite having one of the poorest actual gate receipts they have demonstrated considerable fortitude to propel themselves into the upper echelons of the league. They deserve credit for that.

However, when it comes down to it, just about ever statistic has them in our shadow; hence the "Fake Saints".

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

I've always known St Johnstone as Fake Saints simply because historically they've resided in the lower leagues while St Mirren tended to exist higher up the league structure.

That's obviously not really been the case in the last couple of decades, but overall the success of the Paisley saints over their lesser countryside namesakes is shown up by the stats; for example St Johnstone have never won a League Cup while St Mirren have or the case that while St Johnstone have won the Scottish Cup once that is trumped by St Mirren winning it 3 times. Then there are things like the stadium, fan base, catchment area and the like, all these favour the Paisley club.

I don't hold this view due to hubris or some dislike for our farming cousins, if anything I applaud their resilience at managing to punch above their weight over the last 15 years or so. Despite having one of the poorest actual gate receipts they have demonstrated considerable fortitude to propel themselves into the upper echelons of the league. They deserve credit for that.

However, when it comes down to it, just about ever statistic has them in our shadow; hence the "Fake Saints".

I won't go into too detailed a reply, however we were the first Saints to build a soulless plastic concrete stadium on the outskirts of town, and you copied us 15-20 years later.  

And completely fucked it up! Stands too far back from the pitch and not steep enough to properly see what's going on at the opposite end.

Even Hamilton's 2 sided effort is a better matchday experience than loveless street. I can see why the maureens covered it in Celtic signs to pretend it was nothing to do with them in all honesty.

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I won't go into too detailed a reply, however we were the first Saints to build a soulless plastic concrete stadium on the outskirts of town, and you copied us 15-20 years later.  

And completely fucked it up! Stands too far back from the pitch and not steep enough to properly see what's going on at the opposite end.

Even Hamilton's 2 sided effort is a better matchday experience than loveless street. I can see why the maureens covered it in Celtic signs to pretend it was nothing to do with them in all honesty.

Well very little of that is true other than you built your crumbling wreck of a stadium before we moved to Greenhill Road. I at least tried to keep to the facts with my summation. Nice try with the Celtic dig though, it's got to hurt that we have such a good stadium both sides of the OF look to it when in need of a ground other than their own.

I notice you don't disagree with my factual cogency though, which is nice. :)

Firstly. anyone who starts a topic with "Serious question" should be openly mocked and ridiculed and, IMHO, should not be allowed to start another topic for at least 5 years.

Secondly, St Mirren were formed in 1877, St Johnstone in 1884.  St Mirren had 7 years to decide what nickname they wanted and they chose "The Buddies".  They can't decide 140 years later that they f'd up and try to steal ours.  

So. in answer to the original question:  St Johnstone are the Saints that are marching in.

18 minutes ago, Jake said:

Secondly, St Mirren were formed in 1877, St Johnstone in 1884.  St Mirren had 7 years to decide what nickname they wanted and they chose "The Buddies".  They can't decide 140 years later that they f'd up and try to steal ours. 

^^ Fundamentally misunderstanding the situation...  ;)

"Buddies" are people from Paisley, the actual team is the Saints. Understandable there is some confusion from those who don't understand this.

7 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

"Buddies" are people from Paisley, the actual team is the Saints. Understandable there is some confusion from those who don't understand this.

Hmmm.  That sounds suspiciously like it was made up.  However, I admit that I have never taken enough drugs to understand the shenanigans that goes on in Paisley.  Most of the inhabitants seem to like to shout out random stuff in the street, and I can imagine some jakey shouting "Buddies are the people, Saints is the team".  I suppose if you say something often enough it becomes fact.

2 hours ago, Jake said:

I admit that I have never taken enough drugs to understand the shenanigans that goes on in Paisley.  

I have. Paisley is like Lochee, used to be a town in its own right, swallowed up by a larger city and is now just like a scheme full of drug addled goblins.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I have. Paisley is like Lochee, used to be a town in its own right, swallowed up by a larger city and is now just like a scheme full of drug addled goblins.

Sure, Paisley's a hole. All Perth has is eight cousins, and maybe a cow.

Archived