FA Cup 2018/19

Eednud

11 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Because neither side has the same opportunity to have the correct decisions made as teams who have VAR in a match. In one match you simply have the ref (& assistants) in another you have a ref who can use technology to make sure he makes correct decisions, have a second look at things that he is unsure about etc. Its not fair that one match in a given competition should have different (better) refereeing standards (beyond those that are outwith normal human error) than another, all games in any tournament should be as equal as possible. 

I get that people might not agree with the point but how people cannot see why having technology in some games in a tournament and not others as being unequal, is baffling to me. I am off to bed now though, so i'll have to lay this argument to rest.

It may be seen as unequal, in the sense that some games may be seen as more important than others because they have VAR. But I don't see it as an issue because in practice whether another match has VAR or not has no impact on that club's own match. I don't see how anyone is negatively affected.

As someone else has mentioned, it's no different than the best referees refereeing the games with the biggest clubs. Not only that, part of the rationale for that is presumably that bigger games/televised games are harder to referee due to the faster pace and increased scrutiny, therefore it makes absolute sense to help these refs out further and give them VAR.

You didn't answer my question about whether referees should be randomly allocated across all cup ties. Do you think that would make the competition fairer?

There was the possibility that players would pick up suspensions (which could be served in league games) from VAR decisions in some games where in other games their rivals may have escaped with the benefit of the doubt. You could well argue that VAR was improving the quality of the decisions, but it was being discussed as a perceived inequality.

Liverpool very clearly didn't give a shite tonight so glad they got papped out. So much more energy and commitment from Wolves.

Draw is a bit meh but all the best games in London in the next round. Middlesbrough -Newport interesting too: Tony Pulis is a Newport boy who used  to play for the old County. Will be tight, that one.

6 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Your stuff is usually good and there is a lot to slag English football for but really, a Scottish football fan doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising other country's clubs for selling out to the big guys in comparison to theirs.  It's very (x infinity) sad that Scottish football clubs showed in 2012 they had absolutely no intention of winning anything other than an occasional cup and were more than delighted to plod along playing for third in the league as long as they got their bigot based handouts. So much so that it had to be forced into any form of action that would break the monopoly and open the game up. Since then all they've done is make decisions that solidifies the bigots domination for more than the foreseeable future.  Given your criteria, if your astonished by by people watching the English game then you must be incredulous at Scottish football followers.

Not really, no. In the last few years Hearts have won and lost cup finals, Hibs have won and lost cup finals, Aberdeen have won and lost cup finals, Dundee United have won and lost cup finals, ICT have won and lost cup finals, St Mirren have won and lost cup finals, St Johnstone have won a cup, Ross County have won a cup.

Obviously, the financial rewards of winning a cup are much more worth it for Scottish sides than English sides, and it shows. The bottom line you're left with is that clubs in Scotland want to win things, while clubs in England don't.

The fans of all the clubs I've listed above have had great experiences in the last few years. Excitement, celebrations, memories that'll last forever. And this year they'll all be trying to do it again, because it's worth it to them. As a fan/life experience that's pretty decent.

Compare that to the experience of supporting Everton or West Ham. Why do these clubs exist? What is the point in paying to watch them, knowing that they aren't interested in being successful?

Look at Bournemouth at the weekend. They are eleven points clear of the relegation zone yet for a home FA Cup tie they made (by my calculations) nine changes to their starting line-up and consequently got pumped out the cup. A team that makes that many changes doesn't want to win. They've essentially forfeited their chance at a trophy. A now established Premier League team sitting eleven points from danger has absolutely no interest in trying to win a cup.

Scottish football has its problems, but our clubs do still actually try to win.

Edited by JTS98

12 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Dece draw. Wimbledon v West Ham and Arsenal v Man United the stand outs for me. Millwall v Everton looks tasty, too.

I support Wimbledon in England (was ST holder when I lived south of the border), but I don't think Wimbledon v West Ham is a stand out tie, BBC also didn't list it in their highlights of the draw. I'd be quite surprised if it's on TV tbh. A bit disappointing draw I think, at this stage I'd either like a winnable tie or a money spinner, this is neither.

A second trip to Molineux in a couple of weeks last night. You are hoping the FA Cup throws up something different. As expected Jurgen rang the changes and Wolves proved too strong. 

The injuries at the back didn’t help and losing Lovren early on meant two kids in a back 4 with Fabinho and Moreno. Not great. 

Decent atmosphere for a Monday night and the away end extended round into the big stand behind the goal about 4700. 

Mixed reaction to the team fielded and even the result. Hopefully what happens in the next few weeks will make it look irrelevant. At least it frees up a couple of weekends :)

7B04EB9E-665E-4F5B-8A91-EE85C256EE1A.jpeg

0D42214D-9AC5-477E-8C3F-1269A6752827.jpeg

BC5F0D42-ACDC-4945-9A8F-581344A46672.jpeg

CDAF7A44-3550-4C6E-A8B5-542ACDF05ED8.jpeg