Grassing

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Depends what it’s for. I wouldn’t grass on anyone I work with for making an honest mistake but I’d grass on someone if I knew they were drink driving. Those are just the first two examples off the top of my head.

What are peoples thoughts on workmates thieving? 

Not talking about a pad of post it notes or (at the other end of the scale) cash out the till.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not talking about a pad of post it notes or (at the other end of the scale) cash out the till.

They’ll get caught eventually, they always do. So I wouldn’t go grassing in this situation.

13 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

They’ll get caught eventually, they always do. So I wouldn’t go grassing in this situation.

Bit of a c***s trick that they point the finger at others though.

Snitches get stitches is a motto all men, women and children should live by.

Take all matters into your own hands, and never involve the fuzz.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Snitches get stitches is a motto all men, women and children should live by.

Take all matters into your own hands, and never involve the fuzz.

So a loved one gets murdered ... you should investigate the murder yourself and not involve the authorities (or their resources / experiences). Presumably, they'll find out anyway - at which point you refuse to assist at all in the investigation. If it goes to court, refuse to be a witness for the prosecution, then get your retribution on the steps of the courthouse after he's let off?

So a loved one gets murdered ... you should investigate the murder yourself and not involve the authorities (or their resources / experiences). Presumably, they'll find out anyway - at which point you refuse to assist at all in the investigation. If it goes to court, refuse to be a witness for the prosecution, then get your retribution on the steps of the courthouse after he's let off?
You and the other mods could provide a genuine service in this thread by providing a list of all grassings in the last year. That would provide a robust picture of what P&Bers deem grassworthy.

33 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Correct.

3 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

Depends on the circumstances.

I've worked in a lot of pubs and clubs and seen some outrageous scams to help staff fill their pockets*. If someone is clever enough that they can appear to balance the stock with the takings and get away with it, I would probably let it go. If someone was literally just dipping the till and not even trying to disguise it, I would have to have a word. Seems hypocritical but in my view the first one is down to management stupidity and for that they deserve to lose out, where the second one is just thievery and deserves to be called out.

*I have never resorted to any kind of thievery while working in a pub, aside from the time I found a 3 figure sum of money sellotaped to the underside of a table, which I pocketed on the basis that no one would ever be stupid enough to come asking about it. I was right, but some poor b*****d probably took a kicking somewhere...

I would never ‘grass’ anyone up at work unless it was for something mentally stupid that would affect me. Even then I’d probably talk to them first.

There’s folk at my work who run to the boss and tell on others for internet use or for coming in a bit late or taking a bit too long on their lunch. If folk are doing their job then that shouldn’t matter. I’ve had numerous talkings to from a boss as others have grassed me up for internet use. I only go online so often because I’m so bored since my job is utterly unchallenging (it’s admin) and boring. There are some weeks when I could do my job in a single day. Some in a half a day. Some weeks I would need up to 3 days to do everything. I never need 5 7 hour days to do everything.

Anyway, that’s getting off topic. I think if you can speak to someone rather than ‘grassing’ them up then you should do so. There are times you’ll need to report someone or escalate and issue, but for petty small things there really is no need.

I will never do anything as a favour to an employer outwith my core duties. If someone is stealing from them, I genuinely dont give a f**k. My employers current contemptuous attitude for its employees will unfortunately most likely give me this cynical attitude for the rest of my days.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

You and the other mods could provide a genuine service in this thread by providing a list of all grassings in the last year. That would provide a robust picture of what P&Bers deem grassworthy.

For the past year?!?! There are three already in the "Grass box" I need to wade through. That'd be a full time job to product a report for the P+B masses. 

For the past year?!?! There are three already in the "Grass box" I need to wade through. That'd be a full time job to product a report for the P+B masses. 
Just give us a representative snapshot them. I understand you are busy so just dump a few screens in here and wel crack ok with it.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Just give us a representative snapshot them. I understand you are busy so just dump a few screens in here and wel crack ok with it.

Er, surely that would be grassing?!!?

Archived