Away Day Guide

3 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Is Croy Miners' Welfare still open?

6 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Nah. Offices now. 

I have it on good authority that the Duke is reopening this summer though.

On 6/4/2019 at 23:09, RutherGlen said:

Damn..definitely no pub then or still a possibility yet to be confirmed? Could do with a pub next to the stadium that ain't Broadwood Farm.

There was going to be a Spoons I think but seems to have been scrapped

20 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

There was going to be a Spoons I think but seems to have been scrapped

The only thing more depressing than Broadwood Farm would be a "Spoons".

Is there no prospect of a normal pub springing up in the vicinity?

Airdrie

Pish venue to get to and stadium pretty soulless. West End Bar in the centre is a cracking boozer and the boy Scott who owns it is a cracking lad. Short walk from the station and only a fiver in a taxi. 

Clyde

Another pish venue to get to. Croy the nearest station which is about 15 mins walk, then you have another 5-10 minute walk to either the Smiddy or Farm. Smiddy is decent but full of old firm p***ks. 

Dumbarton

Decent enough to get to with Dumbarton East Close by, no idea of boozers as previously I always drove there. 

East Fife

Shite place to get to, shite place once you're there, shite soulless stadium, don't have a good work to say about the place except plenty of free parking. 

Falkirk

Falkirk Grahamston a 15 minute walk however round about there is plenty of boozers. Behind the Wall is cracking albeit not the cheapest, they run a free bus to and from the stadium. 

Wellington a classic pub, a good well priced pint, pool table and a jukebox. Taxis not much more than a fiver or a 15 minute walk down a straight road. 

Big open stadium with no atmosphere unfortunately. 

Forfar 

A ground I love, terracing right round the ground with plenty of buzz about the place. Boozers not too far away either. Shite place to get to but a decent bus away trip. 

Montrose 

I quite like the wee ground at Montrose, is Hamish still cutting about? A nice wee rivalry with Clyde there thanks to some previous dancing episodes in the terraces :lol:

Train station in town and boozers near the ground. 

Peterhead 

For the size of the town its a b*****d of a place to get to, 2 1/2 hours on a train from Glasgow to Aberdeen yet it takes another near 2 hours by public transport to get to Peterhead. 

I love this ground, a stadium that is fit for purpose for most teams in this league. Close to the pitch and a good atmosphere can be made. Social club is decent as well. 

Raith Rovers

Has the railway end opened for away fans? I always hated sitting in that big stand behind the goals, was always a strange atmosphere there. 

Easy to get to by train from Edinburgh though I have only driven there, with that I have no idea about boozers. 

Stranraer

Only ground I've not been to and 1 in 3 that I haven't visited in the spfl, though we can make that 4 now Cove are in the leagues. 

I've heard previously of guys flying to Belfast on the Friday evening, sailing across for the game on the Saturday before sailing back to Belfast afterwards then fly back on Sunday, that sounds a cracking weekend! 

On 06/06/2019 at 22:58, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Airdrie

Pish venue to get to and stadium pretty soulless. West End Bar in the centre is a cracking boozer and the boy Scott who owns it is a cracking lad. Short walk from the station and only a fiver in a taxi. 

Clyde

Another pish venue to get to. Croy the nearest station which is about 15 mins walk, then you have another 5-10 minute walk to either the Smiddy or Farm. Smiddy is decent but full of old firm p***ks. 

Dumbarton

Decent enough to get to with Dumbarton East Close by, no idea of boozers as previously I always drove there. 

East Fife

Shite place to get to, shite place once you're there, shite soulless stadium, don't have a good work to say about the place except plenty of free parking. 

Falkirk

Falkirk Grahamston a 15 minute walk however round about there is plenty of boozers. Behind the Wall is cracking albeit not the cheapest, they run a free bus to and from the stadium. 

Wellington a classic pub, a good well priced pint, pool table and a jukebox. Taxis not much more than a fiver or a 15 minute walk down a straight road. 

Big open stadium with no atmosphere unfortunately. 

Forfar 

A ground I love, terracing right round the ground with plenty of buzz about the place. Boozers not too far away either. Shite place to get to but a decent bus away trip. 

Montrose 

I quite like the wee ground at Montrose, is Hamish still cutting about? A nice wee rivalry with Clyde there thanks to some previous dancing episodes in the terraces :lol:

Train station in town and boozers near the ground. 

Peterhead 

For the size of the town its a b*****d of a place to get to, 2 1/2 hours on a train from Glasgow to Aberdeen yet it takes another near 2 hours by public transport to get to Peterhead. 

I love this ground, a stadium that is fit for purpose for most teams in this league. Close to the pitch and a good atmosphere can be made. Social club is decent as well. 

Raith Rovers

Has the railway end opened for away fans? I always hated sitting in that big stand behind the goals, was always a strange atmosphere there. 

Easy to get to by train from Edinburgh though I have only driven there, with that I have no idea about boozers. 

Stranraer

Only ground I've not been to and 1 in 3 that I haven't visited in the spfl, though we can make that 4 now Cove are in the leagues. 

I've heard previously of guys flying to Belfast on the Friday evening, sailing across for the game on the Saturday before sailing back to Belfast afterwards then fly back on Sunday, that sounds a cracking weekend! 

Would you not be better stepping aside and leaving this thread to folk that have actually visited some boozers?

46 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Would you not be better stepping aside and post if you actually have something to contribute?

To be fair, the whole point of the thread is to inform people of where to go and you've said you've no idea about where to go for about a third of the teams and nobody cares that you've not been to Stranraer to give equally dull comment on what boozers you haven't visited there either.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

To be fair, the whole point of the thread is to inform people of where to go and you've said you've no idea about where to go for about a third of the teams and nobody cares that you've not been to Stranraer to give equally dull comment on what boozers you haven't visited there either.

This is pathetic, Stranraer I made a very good point of making a weekend out of it via Belfast like many fans have done in the past. 

Only the day after posting I realised this was a pinned post so aye, mightve got the wrong end of the stick. 

On 04/06/2019 at 01:19, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Always wondered what an away day to airdrie is like for travelling fans? Compared to many other teams in the league I’d imagine it would be god awful as it’s a big soulless stadium with no pubs etc nearby. Opinions?

Easy enough to get to from the M8. 

I've never ventured far from the ground to find a boozer - I've always found the lounge at the ground very friendly and hospitable. 

The 2-2 draw in December a couple of seasons ago is pretty close to being the coldest I've ever been at a game. Minus 6 according to my car when we got back to it. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:09, Angusfifer said:

Would you not be better stepping aside and leaving this thread to folk that have actually visited some boozers?

He'd certainly be better stepping aside and leaving it to people who know how to use public transport.

2 hours to Peterhead to Aberdeen, what the f**k was he using - a donkey?

On the Clyde front, the best bet I can see is a train to Cumbernauld and a visit to the pool hall bar (the red triangle - google saying a 20 min walk from station. Fb website says lots of pool tables and bt/sky and plenty teles. Two questions for locals: Juke box? Ease of getting a taxi on Saturday late morning/mid afternoon from station to pool hall, then pool hall to stadium? Either way, I’ve never been so anyone trying it out might want to call ahead and see what the script is). Then a taxi to the ground and then a walk to Croy for the train home. 

ETA - hipflask for the journey back from croy (mixer if required from the BP) until further supplies can be purchased at haymarket. Sorted!

ETA - from the website the smiddy also has one pool table plus bt/sky (it’s a bellhaven pub so it looks a wee bit soulless but serves food etc.).

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

On 10/06/2019 at 21:46, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

On the Clyde front, the best bet I can see is a train to Cumbernauld and a visit to the pool hall bar next door (website says lots of pool tables and by/sky and plenty teles. Juke box?). Then a taxi to the ground and then a walk to Croy for the train home. Shirley? 

ETA - hipflask for the journey back from croy (mixer if required from the BP) until further supplies can be purchased at haymarket. Sorted.

What pool hall is this?