Your club's top 5 biggest legends

1 minute ago, Believe The Hype said:

I'd say it should only be a minority that would disagree with Yogi. Perhaps there are some grievances held towards the latter stage of his managerial career, but his playing career with us is never in question. Absolutely loved growing up watching him. You could tell he gave his all for the club everytime I watched him. 

Agree. In his last match for us he played for the last 30 or so minutes having done his knee cruciate. We had no subs left. He was clearly in agony and knew he was fucking his leg but refused to come off. Some might call it stupid, I thought it showed how much he wanted to make sure he didn't let the team down by going down to 10 men. He knew he was knocking the door of retirement anyway. It's sad how he's viewed by some fans now, although I can understand the anger, but to me he will always be a legend of our club.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I'm missing some but as I didn't start watching until '93 I don't feel like rhapsodising on Highland League players.

Brian Grant - Scored 5 goals in the very first County game I went to.
Billy Ferries - Fantastic winger who should have played at a higher level if only he was younger when County started on their league journey but still a class act.
Karim Boukraa - That luxury player, was amazing with the ball at his feet but his delivery hit and miss. But when you're still a teenager watching a First Division team he's the sort of player that's hard to forget.
Scott Boyd - Joined in the year we went back to the Second Division & I was living in England. He's won everything that County have won as a league club except the Third Division in 10 years at the club. Was treated shoddily at the end but a huge player for a decade nonetheless.
Stuart Kettlewell - Just the kind of player I've grown to appreciate as I got older. Nothing fancy, just did the hard work in the midfield. In fairness there are loads of players from the Unbeatables that you could say are important players in the modern era, Gardyne, Brittain, Lawson, etc.

34 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd go similar, with Ivor Broadis, Roy Henderson and Peter Dickson maybe joining the 'honourable mentions' list.

There should possibly be others with lots of appearances from the 30s and 50s when we were a decent side.

Yeah, the "honourable mentions" bit wasn't meant to be in any way definitive, though I certainly should have mentioned Roy Henderson. The likes of Jackie Law and Jackie Oakes from earlier periods would be up there. Maybe Hughie Gallacher though considering he only spent about four months as a Queens player at the start of his career that may be pushing it a bit.

16 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Norrie McCathie

Jim Leishman

Roy Barry

Charlie Dickson

Jock Stein

Disgraceful lack of Bert Paton. I would have him as THE legend of the club. He did loads as a player and as a manager for us. 

13 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

All time

Bert Paton

Norrie McCathie

Jock Stein

Roy Barry

Jim Leishman

In  my time

Norrie

Bert Paton

Kozma

John Watson

Westwater 

Could easily say George Farm, Charlie Dickson, Crawford, Skerla, Bobby Robertson, Ross Jack

Bert Paton should have something named after him at the ground imo.

Totally agree with the last part.

Some folk would argue for George Farm to be on the list. A Scottish Cup win and a European semi final are incredible achievements.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Disgraceful lack of Bert Paton. I would have him as THE legend of the club. He did loads as a player and as a manager for us.

It's 5 spots and you could argue the same about a few. His management spell was in recent memory which is probably why he stands out more than the rest.

George Farm certainly achieved more as a manager. Willie Cunningham, influential in '61 team and just a game away from winning the League Championship as manager in '65, incredibly close to a league and cup double. Both probably should be ahead of Paton.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Kevin McAllister

Simon Stainrod

Sam McGivern

Crawford Baptie

George Watson

Would also put Houston and Andy Nicol in the legends Category, I wouldnt class Yogi as a legend more  cult hero same as Latapy 

Sorry but no way are McGivern, Baptie, Watson, Houston (never understood the love for Houston as a player)or even Nicol legends.

Cult hero's probably.

Legends from my time would be

Kevin McAllister

Simon Stainrod

Willie Cunningham

John Hughes (player)

John Markie

All about opinions, feel free to disagree.

27 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

It's 5 spots and you could argue the same about a few. His management spell was in recent memory which is probably why he stands out more than the rest.

George Farm certainly achieved more as a manager. Willie Cunningham, influential in '61 team and just a game away from winning the League Championship as manager in '65, incredibly close to a league and cup double. Both probably should be ahead of Paton.

Nah, Paton's playing days combined with his management puts him ahead of anyone.

And  how does someone have "sedimental" appeal?
That's the bit of his post that got me.
I just blew right past that. Come and have a look at some of the posts he makes on our thread. He's fast becoming a cult hero.

I absolutely mixed up cult hero with club legend. I'm far too young to name Ayr legends in that case. (Except MacLeod obviously).

It's been slim pickings for us in recent years.

And on that note leave moff the f**k alone.

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:
12 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:
Ayr United legends.
Jimmy Smith.
Peter Price. 
Spud Murphy.
Ally McLeod.
Ian McAllister.

Paul you're dead old.

I only saw Cally play and one of Ally's stints as manager to be fair. 

To me a legend is someone who has contributed to the  history of the club and not someone who kept goal when we beat Killie one time.

Jimmy Smith, 66 goals in one season in all competitions. 

Peter Price, 173 goals in 199 apps.

John 'Spud' Murphy, 459 starting apps.

Ally McLeod, three stints as manager and had us continually punching above our weight in his first spell. Also assembled a very exciting team in his third spell.

Ian McAllister, 405 apps and a true one club man. 

P.s not having a go at you pandarilla, some of the Ayr shouts have been hilarious.

Purely playing legends from my time watching Thistle. I just caught the end of Charnley, Cameron, the Ghost, etc. but not enough to fully appreciate. Special mention to guys like Davie Rowson, Martin Hardie, Scott Paterson and Kenny Arthur.

5. Gerry Britton

The King of Spain.

Wonderfully awkward and the scorer of some belters like this. Led the charge to the Division 1 title as the rather unexpected talisman, displacing the previously clinical Scott McLean, and forming a partnership with Alex Burns which continued into the Premier League.

Not many folk could recover from the shambles that was his managerial tenure with Derek Whyte - but a legend he remains.

4. Mark Roberts

The man who saved Partick Thistle.

We could easily have found ourselves in the same position as Clyde if it wasn't for Mark Roberts - or even worse, out the game totally. A rather underwhelming signing by Dick Campbell at the time but what a player he turned out to be. Not the quickest but his touch and finishing were the only things worth going to Firhill for in those days. 

There was only one man who could take the plaudits for promotion through the play-offs - and it certainly wasn't the Bunnet.

3.  Kris Doolan

The modern day legend.

Surely going to be an (almost) one club man which is a great feat in itself, let alone the fact he will finish as one of the top goalscorers in our history - he's likely to surpass another 3 players this season to become the third highest and I wouldn't put it past him to eventually reach second before his time is out. The magnitude of that achievement in this day and age is quite staggering. 

Great professional, clinical finisher, best first touch of any Thistle player I've ever seen, rarely booked, never any hassle - a proper legend.

2. Danny Lennon

Super Danny Lennon.

Back-to-back league winning captain. Embodied everything that was good about that team - guts, hard work and no shortage of talent. Everything a captain should be.

Think we'll see him back at Firhill one day.

1. Alan Archibald

Player. Captain. League-winning Manager. And still more to come hopefully. We'll talk about Archie in a similar fashion to Davie McParland in years to come, and rightly so. 

A brilliant player, first as a flying left wing back and then following his move to Dundee United, as a centre half. If he was a yard or two quicker, he'd have played for teams much bigger than Partick Thistle. Even at 40, we could have done with him putting the boots back on last season.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Why the f**k is teale there?

A very good player, but not an ayr legend. Stevo, moff, and hopefully shankland are the most recent legends.

I really wouldn’t be throwing stones from that glass house. Shankland and Moffat for f**k’s sake.

Pretty similar to the above, in my time watching the club I'd go Archibald, Doolan, Roberts, Lennon in that order but with Scott Paterson in fifth place - for the 2 years we had him he was simply the most gloriously gifted player to watch that I've seen in my years at Firhill. Would also certainly add Chris Erskine in the special mentions category.

Only going by those in my lifetime of watching Thistle, so mine would be:

1. John Lambie - Hard to explain to any non-Thistle supporter exactly what he means to the club and the affinity everyone at the club had with him. The closest that anyone could get to understanding was witnessing the scenes around Firhill after he passed away. The first footballing personality I admired and looked up to. 

2. Alan Archibald - He has (rightly) had his critics over the last 12 months, but this takes nothing away from what he's done for the club. A fantastic player and, one poor season aside, a fantastic manager.

3. Kris Doolan - I love the man. He clearly loves the club. He's grown as a player at the same rate that the club did, in a pretty short space of time. Loads of people questioned whether he could cut it when we got promoted to the Premiership, and he proved them all wrong. He could very easily have left at various points since our promotion season but has stayed, probably missing out on bigger paydays, and that is testament to the guy and his affinity with Thistle.

4. Gerry Britton - In both a playing and non-playing role (aside from a pretty poor stint as co-manager), he has been a credit to the club. Completely fine with him taking over Ian Maxwell's role. Scored one of the best goals I've ever seen anyone in a Thistle shirt score.

5. Danny Lennon - Captained the club to the first promotion to the top tier since I started watching football. Was an excellent player for us, and a great leader in a group full of Lambie's "heedbangers".

Honourable mentions to Chris Erskine, Martin Hardie, Mark Roberts and Alan Morgan.

In my lifetime as an Ayr fan, my top 5 in no particular order would be: 

Craig Nelson, Mark Campbell, David Craig, Gary Teale, Eddie Annand. 

The older generation, and rightly so, can pick the likes of Templeton, Nicol, Mcallister, Smith, McLeod, Price, McInally and so on.

Ally MacLeod
Peter Price
Henry Templeton
Ian McAllister
“Spud” Murphy

Whilst I’ve been a supporter I don’t think we’ve had any “legends” but maybe cult heroes. Guys like David Craig, Martyn and Mark Campbell, Glynn Hurst and Gary Teale would fit that bill.

I don’t think pandarilla is too far off with Moffat though. When he’s retired and we look back on his career he’ll be one of our top goal scorers and a big part of a title winning season.

Archived