5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, Roxanne said:
Henry templeton
Hugh Sproat
Eddie Annand
Gary Teale 
Andy Walker

Two players there just for a penalty?

It was the sedimental meaning behind them. 

Would change Annand for Glynn Hurst and Andy Walker for the legend that is David Craig. Better? :-) 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was the sedimental meaning behind them. 
Would change Annand for Glynn Hurst and Andy Walker for the legend that is David Craig. Better? :-) 
Why the f**k is teale there?

A very good player, but not an ayr legend. Stevo, moff, and hopefully shankland are the most recent legends.

14 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

A very good player, but not an ayr legend. Stevo, moff, and hopefully shankland are the most recent legends.

While I agree not a legend, our biggest export in transfer fee. 

Mark Roberts (before management)....nobody can deny he was a good player for Ayr.

Ian McAllister 

Wee Henry

John Sharples

Darren Henderson, only for that flying diving header against ‘them’  when we got beat 2-1 at old rusty park. 

38 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'll go for Alex Ingram then. Never saw him play but met him a few times. 

I did consider some of that side but as I get older the players have gotten less of a hero status with me and I’ve just appreciated the team as one entity. 
The 5 I mentioned were genuine heroes of mine growing up in the 90s and early 00s.

It’s a difficult one. I agree with your choices, maybe not Bingham no matter how good he was for us, but I think it’s to soon to be calling any of the Scottish Cup winners a legend/hero. The whole team will never be forgotten obviously but they were, mostly, only here for the “butcher effect” and hadn’t been with us long enough to be considered hero’s. Garry Warren may be the exception to that possibly Raven as well.

Shinnie wouldn’t make it as we were all pissed off that he was away to Aberdeen, Christie was still a young guy. Watkins actually could be included if we are going based on Bingham getting in as he was probably one of the most talented players we’ve had and was brilliant the whole time he was here.

Hayes and Rooney would have to be close to the top 5 as well.

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, not far away. Such things will inevitably depend on your era and your appreciation of history. In no particular order my top five would probably be:

Billy Houliston

Jim Patterson

Allan Ball

Stephen Dobbie

Andy Thomson

Honourable mentions to the likes of Derek Lyle, Iain McChesney, Bobby Black, Tommy Bryce, etc.

Hard to disagree with that.  Our one and only full Scotland internationalist whilst at the club, our record scorer, our record appearance holder, our record outgoing transfer, and our greatest player in the modern era and possibly (definitely) of all time.

I'd have included Jim Thomson in the honourable mentions though.  We are unlikely to see a player captain us in the Scottish Cup Final and UEFA Cup any time soon.   Or reach a testimonial year for that matter.

A lot of people appear to be mixing up "club legends" with "cult heroes".  Michael Moffat FFS! :lol:

Had a think about it and for us it's probably something like

Alex Parker

Kenny Dawson

Kevin McAllister

Syd Puddefoot

John Hughes

With honourable mentions to Stainrod, Latapy, Jocky Simpson, John White. There's probably an argument for Alex Totten as well.

Plenty will disagree with Yogi but I'd have him in there for longevity and achievements as both a player and a manager.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

All time

Bert Paton

Norrie McCathie

Jock Stein

Roy Barry

Jim Leishman

In  my time

Norrie

Bert Paton

Kozma

John Watson

Westwater 

Could easily say George Farm, Charlie Dickson, Crawford, Skerla, Bobby Robertson, Ross Jack

Bert Paton should have something named after him at the ground imo.

I agree. There is a bracket of Legends, mostly from the 60's, which makes whittling down to 5 almost impossible. The group in the 60s raised the bar so high that it's difficult to include anyone from other eras. Crawford, Ross Jack and Skerla were fan's favourites not legends. Joe Nelson though...

Willie Cunningham is probably worthy of a top 5 spot. Influential '61 member and went on to become one of the club's best ever managers.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

And  how does someone have "sedimental" appeal?

That's the bit of his post that got me.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, not far away. Such things will inevitably depend on your era and your appreciation of history. In no particular order my top five would probably be:

Billy Houliston

Jim Patterson

Allan Ball

Stephen Dobbie

Andy Thomson

Honourable mentions to the likes of Derek Lyle, Iain McChesney, Bobby Black, Tommy Bryce, etc.

I'd go similar, with Ivor Broadis, Roy Henderson and Peter Dickson maybe joining the 'honourable mentions' list.

There should possibly be others with lots of appearances from the 30s and 50s when we were a decent side.

25 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Plenty will disagree with Yogi but I'd have him in there for longevity and achievements as both a player and a manager.

I'd say it should only be a minority that would disagree with Yogi. Perhaps there are some grievances held towards the latter stage of his managerial career, but his playing career with us is never in question. Absolutely loved growing up watching him. You could tell he gave his all for the club everytime I watched him. 

Kevin McAllister

Simon Stainrod

Sam McGivern

Crawford Baptie

George Watson

Would also put Houston and Andy Nicol in the legends Category, I wouldnt class Yogi as a legend more  cult hero same as Latapy 

Archived