St Mirren v Dundee @ The Simpleton Arena

4 hours ago, GAD said:

In the end, it was a game that could have gone either way. Dundee had the opportunity to put us away in the first 20 mins of the second half, culminating in the penalty. If they score that, they win. They didn't though because we had Craig Samson, and they had that utter joke in goals. He'd been flapping all game and was an accident waiting to happen, and when it did we exploited it in spectacular fashion, and the game was over. We were really comfortable after that.

We've still got plenty of work to do though. Dundee showed we are still a bit behind physically, and we didn't really create as many chances as we should have. I also think we are still very fragile at the back. I see folk are blaming Samson for giving away the penalty, but for me, that was all on Kpekewa, who I'm sure didn't realise the striker was there.

For us, Mullen, both McGinns, Smith and Magennis were really good,  and Flynn was excellent when he came on. I'm sure he will play next week for Stewart, who tried his best, but struggled badly.

Hold on, aren't you the poster who came on to critique my posting yet other than that your only contribution to the thread is this boring as f**k assessment of the game?

This must be what it feels like to have Willo Flood call you an ugly b*****d or Csaba Lazslo say you're a shite football manager. 

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dundee probably should have been out of sight after that 25 mins at start of the second half. 

After they missed the penalty though, that knocked them big time and gave us a booster to gain a bit of a foothold again. 

Can't believe some blamed Sammy for the penalty yesterday, Kpekawa was caught literally standing watching a through ball that he allowed to pass him. Samson had no other option, I thought at the time he barely caught the guy and the boy has took the easy option by going down for the penalty and it seems some Dundee fans think the same. 

Still though, that save. It wasn't the worst penalty I've ever seen, it was a magnificent effort to get across to it and gave the team a huge boost. Sammy's St Mirren career will definitely be summed up with some massive penalty saves at crucial points in important games we've then gone on to win. League Cup semi vs Celtic, last season vs Dabs and yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Hold on, aren't you the poster who came on to critique my posting yet other than that your only contribution to the thread is this boring as f**k assessment of the game?

This must be what it feels like to have Willo Flood call you an ugly b*****d or Csaba Lazslo say you're a shite football manager. 

That was eating at you for a while I see. 

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't believe some blamed Sammy for the penalty yesterday, 

If you watch Stubbs's interview he kind of infers that as well. Jimbo asks about the save and he mumbles something like "Didn't like he showed the hesitation in the first place". I thought it was clearly the defenders fault.

Stubbs seems to find the negativity in everything. Hard to get used to.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Funny you say that. After reading your forums I was surprised Stewart started as you seem to be letting him go. I thought he was a bit of a haddy but gave Meekings and Caulker an aerial battle that they certainly don't experience on a weekly basis. I was glad when he went off and felt more confident when he did!

Really? I thought your centre halfs were pretty comfortable against him, but maybe I've called it wrong. Think Flynn coming on gave us a better shape though, so perhaps it wouldn't have mattered which striker came off, we'd still have improved.

I actually thought the two Dundee forwards were pretty good with a good mix of physicality, pace and a bit of skill, that tormented our CBs. The fact they are getting pelters in here maybe shows that I know f**k all!

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I certainly didn’t feel St Mirren rode their luck or could have been a few goals down. The first half I thought we were by far the better team for the first 15 mins, Dundee by far the better team in the middle 15 min, with the final 15 min even. Certainly, Dundee had a good spell at the beginning of the second half, but nothing that had me particularly shitting my pants. I reckon McCann told them at half time to attack down our left side, as Coulson goes off all over the place at times and leaves gaping spaces where a left back should be when the opposition has the ball. If Coulson goes walkabout like that against Celtic’s front men, then God help us. Having said that, take his swashbuckling tendencies away and we lose an offensive threat. Maybe best to reel him in a bit against a team like Celtic, but just let him crack on in other games. Pretty sure Stubbs will figure it out as the games go by.

A bit harsh on Coulson the way I see it. Was disappointed with him in the first half that to me was down to Stubbs who told him not to make runs up the wing to stay in his right back position. Second half different orders move up the park to chase the winner in fact at one point it looked like he was a forward. That's the way I see it certainly looked nervous first half I put that down to being told not to make runs which is natural for him. 

35 minutes ago, Silvio said:

If you watch Stubbs's interview he kind of infers that as well. Jimbo asks about the save and he mumbles something like "Didn't like he showed the hesitation in the first place". I thought it was clearly the defenders fault.

Stubbs seems to find the negativity in everything. Hard to get used to.

I agree kpekawa's attempt at going for the ball isn't great but he's no chance of getting it anyway. As  soon as the ball is beyond our defence Samson should have been on his way out for it but he waits and waits. The balls actually in our box before Mendy gets to it. Samson's fault all day long for me. Good on him tho for saving it. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

A bit harsh on Coulson the way I see it. Was disappointed with him in the first half that to me was down to Stubbs who told him not to make runs up the wing to stay in his right back position. Second half different orders move up the park to chase the winner in fact at one point it looked like he was a forward. That's the way I see it certainly looked nervous first half I put that down to being told not to make runs which is natural for him. 

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Coulson, but there were a few times, I looked up and he wasn’t in position as Dundee (start of second half), really made space down Coulson’s side. He gets about, is a threat, and has great feet. I just think the likes of Celtic’s front men will have a field day if he goes on his adventures against them. Hey-ho though, if they do gub us, so what. They usually do anyway, so if we go for it and Coulson is running around like Stelios on Class A drugs, fcuk it, he might score or set one up.... in our ritual gubbing. :P

6 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Coulson could do with a solid left back behind him. 

If only we had one at the club.

Indeed.

One that isn't constantly injured would be great.

Dundee probably should have been out of sight after that 25 mins at start of the second half. 
After they missed the penalty though, that knocked them big time and gave us a booster to gain a bit of a foothold again. 
Can't believe some blamed Sammy for the penalty yesterday, Kpekawa was caught literally standing watching a through ball that he allowed to pass him. Samson had no other option, I thought at the time he barely caught the guy and the boy has took the easy option by going down for the penalty and it seems some Dundee fans think the same. 
Still though, that save. It wasn't the worst penalty I've ever seen, it was a magnificent effort to get across to it and gave the team a huge boost. Sammy's St Mirren career will definitely be summed up with some massive penalty saves at crucial points in important games we've then gone on to win. League Cup semi vs Celtic, last season vs Dabs and yesterday. 

By the time Mendy got to the ball it was in the box sammy had already stopped and started to come a few times if he came straight away not pausing he would of been 1st to the ball.

It’s 1 mistake I don’t think he made 1 all last season he’s been fantastic for us and was fantastic yesterday apart from 1 misjudgment.

Ofcourse kpekawa shouldn’t of stopped either but don’t think he was beating mendy at a race to the ball.

Great result onto next week hopefully a few more additions next week also.

So that was fun yesterday. Glad we took all 3 points although we made a bit of a meal of it. Dundee are arguably the weakest side in this league and any other team we allow a 20 minute period of domination against us will take the advantage and close us out.

Few mentions:

Mullen, excellent, really excellent. I think we are in trouble if Mullen and Cooke are our line up for the season, but damn he put in a shift worthy of convincing Stubbs he should remain his first choice.
Coulson has Camara-like positional awareness at times, which is a shame, but he is playing out of position and he at least benefits the team on the ball, unlike Camara.
Samson is riding his luck, but who cares he was superb. He wasn't going to get the Dundee lad's shot (well not from the angle I saw it and I've not seen a replay yet) but to give away a penalty (in collaboration with others!) then to save it is just taking the piss.
Kpekawa has bomb scares in him, I said it before, and I'll be honest I don't mind.

I could mention Dundee players but few of them really stood out for me, other than for the bad reasons. Mendy was decent, their left back hilariously bad, the lad who scored has a fine strike on him, but really it all leads back to that goalkeeper of theirs. Tell me was the England superstar Steven Caulker playing yesterday because I'm going to be honest and say I never even realised. What a massive build up that guy has got and yet the first time I've seen him play and he was decidedly average. I thought he's meant to be head and shoulder above everyone?
Finally any comment about the game has to end with Hamilton..

9v68YaU.gif

Tell you what, we're still several players away from a full squad and still learning under Stubbs in a league we've just been promoted to. McCann has had years to mould his squad but what he put on that pitch yesterday is grade A relegation fodder.

So that was fun yesterday. Glad we took all 3 points although we made a bit of a meal of it. Dundee are arguably the weakest side in this league and any other team we allow a 20 minute period of domination against us will take the advantage and close us out.
Few mentions:
Mullen, excellent, really excellent. I think we are in trouble if Mullen and Cooke are our line up for the season, but damn he put in a shift worthy of convincing Stubbs he should remain his first choice.
Coulson has Camara-like positional awareness at times, which is a shame, but he is playing out of position and he at least benefits the team on the ball, unlike Camara.
Samson is riding his luck, but who cares he was superb. He wasn't going to get the Dundee lad's shot (well not from the angle I saw it and I've not seen a replay yet) but to give away a penalty (in collaboration with others!) then to save it is just taking the piss.
Kpekawa has bomb scares in him, I said it before, and I'll be honest I don't mind.
I could mention Dundee players but few of them really stood out for me, other than for the bad reasons. Mendy was decent, their left back hilariously bad, the lad who scored has a fine strike on him, but really it all leads back to that goalkeeper of theirs. Tell me was the England superstar Steven Caulker playing yesterday because I'm going to be honest and say I never even realised. What a massive build up that guy has got and yet the first time I've seen him play and he was decidedly average. I thought he's meant to be head and shoulder above everyone?
Finally any comment about the game has to end with Hamilton..
9v68YaU.gif&key=041c2232d76078390ac3fc824578b1a8f2d9f51e51691a61749a27a51070028e
Tell you what, we're still several players away from a full squad and still learning under Stubbs in a league we've just been promoted to. McCann has had years to mould his squad but what he put on that pitch yesterday is grade A relegation fodder.

After 1 game and without seeing any of the other teams you have decided dundee are the "Weakest team in the league"
"Relegation fodder"

Top banter.

1 minute ago, kevthedee said:

After 1 game and without seeing any of the other teams you have decided dundee are the "Weakest team in the league"
"Relegation fodder"

Top banter.

Don't cry, it's true, you know it, I know it, and McCann knows it. If you want to get angry get angry at your manager who has assembled a team that really should have done much much better against us.

3 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Just seen the goals there. Hamilton wtf

Are they online anywhere? I've yet to see any replays other than Hamilton chucking it, in the most hilarious manner. I want to see the Dundee lad's goal, I only caught part of it at the time and everyone is saying what a peach it is.

Edit: Fun fact, P&B doesn't allow me to quote your emojis.

Archived