St Mirren v Dundee @ The Simpleton Arena

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game of football to watch end to end stuff.

1st half I thought we were the better team abit unfortunate to come in not winning but 2nd half Dundee came out flying and we were lucky to keep it level.

Both keeper made big howler today Samson for their penalty when he should of came out a hell of a lot quicker but made up for it with the save.

Then Dundee keeper gifted us the winner.

Great result considering we still have a good few players to come in

We definitely rode our luck at times when Dundee were the better side, especially the early part of the second half. It was a strangely open game with both teams going for it. 

I wont mention the defensive howlers from our point of view but Sammy produced a brilliant save from the penalty.

A bit fortunate just after that when Baird looked to have handled in the box, but we got away with that one. Difficult to see from the other end of the west stand.

What can you say about Danny Mullen, defenders must hate playing against him, as he makes a nuisance of himself and draws fouls all the time. Cracking wee player. 

Was absolutely shitting myself going into this, the league cup form was inconsistent to say the least so it was a bit difficult to gauge where we were (it still is, to be fair).

Started well and finished well,  and a wee bit shite in between. How Dundee weren't a few up before we went ahead again was quite something, was this not an issue for them last season as well?

These are exactly the sort of games we need to be gaining maximum points from if we are to survive, so I'm very pleased. Decent game, cracking atmosphere, tremendous effort from the 1200 Dundee fans who made the trip. It's good to be back!

Wee bit fortunate today, based on Dundee's excellent spell in the second half and that error from Hamilton for the winner. Brilliant to open up with a win - couple of wingers and striker and I think we could be in for an exciting season :thumsup2

Believe there could be quite a bit of movement early next week, in and out. 

Not even sure where to begin with that. I've got my Dundee specs on here but I feel like we should have come away with all 3 points, although an argument could be made for a draw.

Here are my ramblings:

Negatives

- Cammy Kerr should never play left-back again. This shows that we desperately need another LB. I haven't seen Ralph yet but even if he turns out to be great, we definitely need someone to play there that's not Kerr in the event that he is injured/suspended. 

- The second goal is an absolute mess. What Hamilton is doing, I don't know. I'm not sure that playing the ball out all the time is always the best option, sometimes in nervy games like today a good old fashioned hoof is needed. As much as I'd like to sit here and say that Hamilton should get another chance (especially as he had a decent first-half save from a header) and that one mistake doesn't merit him being dropped I can't. Get Parish in next week, a steady if unspectacular keeper but one who didn't do badly last season. I fear this will not be the case however, McCann handed Hamilton a 3-year deal so is likely to stick with his investment.

- The penalty :(. FFS Moussa. I knew he was missing from the stop-start run-up. Although fair play to Samson for what looked like a decent save. The p***k. Might just be me, and I'll need to see it again, but was there any chance Mendy could've stayed on his feet and slotted in once he'd rounded Samson? I assume not as surely a striker would want the goal himself.

- Gowser moaning his arse off at Mendy when Mendy had a shot he was entitled to take as the play was still going on pissed me off. He was still greeting about it 2 minutes later. 

- What is McCann about with his subs? Far too reactive IMO.

Positives

-Elton's goal looked like a good strike, although he was quiet apart from that.

-I thought Caulker looked class, marshalled the defence well and put in some great challenges, a leader in the backline and maybe should be our captain? Depending on a) whether we keep hold of him and b) whether he would want the responsibility given his previous personal issues.

- Mendy looked lively, lots of good runs and chances created although he had that clean-air swipe in the second-half. It was an encouraging display though!

- Curran looked alright too I thought. I'd even say start him at RB next week with Ralph on the left and leave Kerr on the bench.

- The fans. Fair play to the Maureen's for a decent turnout and good noise but credit to my fellow Dees that travelled through. I could scarcely see an empty seat in that away end and the atmosphere was bouncing up until the final 5 minutes.

Anyway, these are my ramblings on the match. I didn't really concentrate on any St. Mirren players so apologies* for the one-sided take but Coulson looked decent and the boy on the right caused a lot of problems for us in the first half.

Thank You.

*f**k yer apologies :unsure:

Don't think we were under sort of pressure outwith the first 15 mins of the 2nd half.

Few half chances for both teams in either half and a couple of sitters apiece as well. 

Good 3 points to start the season.  

No's 22 and 10 for Dundee looked like players. 

Cammy Smith and Danny Mullen both had good games for Saints. 

Not having this Samson MOTM pish, the penalty save shouldn't count considering it was his fault in the first place. 

P.S Dundee deserve to lose every time they wear that horrendous strip. 

25 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

These are exactly the sort of games we need to be gaining maximum points from if we are to survive, so I'm very pleased. Decent game, cracking atmosphere, tremendous effort from the 1200 Dundee fans who made the trip. It's good to be back!

Spot on there, I think. I'm sure Dundee will be disappointed not to have got at least a point, but when all's said and done, it's only the first game of the league.

(Trust I'll be as philosophical after the Dons' game...)

12 minutes ago, Gbud84 said:

Don't think we were under sort of pressure outwith the first 15 mins of the 2nd half.

Few half chances for both teams in either half and a couple of sitters apiece as well. 

Good 3 points to start the season.  

No's 22 and 10 for Dundee looked like players. 

Cammy Smith and Danny Mullen both had good games for Saints. 

Not having this Samson MOTM pish, the penalty save shouldn't count considering it was his fault in the first place. 

P.S Dundee deserve to lose every time they wear that horrendous strip. 

This.

On 7/20/2018 at 15:37, The Derry Steps said:

3-0 Dundee.   Jack Hamilton to have the cigars and deckchair out after the first ten minutes.

He would have been better concentrating on the game :)

On 7/29/2018 at 20:02, Girth said:

Remember Dees! Craig Samson is in goal and they struggled to beat Spartans. This should be a piece of piss.

Thank you.

Wrong. :)

On 7/31/2018 at 09:30, K.T said:

I think Danny Mullen and Cammy Smith are their forwards as well so there’s no need for a defence in this game.

Wrong. :)

Crazy day. Great turn out from the juteboys.  Last Post was pretty full of both sets of fans with a good atmosphere. Good first half from both teams. We never turned up for 20 mins in the second half and could easily be a couple down but knew Sammy would save the penalty and what was Hamilton thinking? Robbery in the end but it has happened to us so many times it is nice to see a role reversal. Dundee had some good players today and hopefully that is the poorest team we will field this season as recruitment appears to be taking off over the next few weeks. It's good to be back.

I certainly didn’t feel St Mirren rode their luck or could have been a few goals down. The first half I thought we were by far the better team for the first 15 mins, Dundee by far the better team in the middle 15 min, with the final 15 min even. Certainly, Dundee had a good spell at the beginning of the second half, but nothing that had me particularly shitting my pants. I reckon McCann told them at half time to attack down our left side, as Coulson goes off all over the place at times and leaves gaping spaces where a left back should be when the opposition has the ball. If Coulson goes walkabout like that against Celtic’s front men, then God help us. Having said that, take his swashbuckling tendencies away and we lose an offensive threat. Maybe best to reel him in a bit against a team like Celtic, but just let him crack on in other games. Pretty sure Stubbs will figure it out as the games go by.

That should never have been a penalty blatant dive, on the up side I heard we have put a bid in for Shankland with a deadline of Monday
Bit of a weird strategy, surely Ayr hold all the cards here? Unless Dundee have made a mental offer in trying to force their hand.

Saints really rode our luck in the first 20 mins of the second half. 

Draw would have been a fairer result, but not complaining. 

That squad will struggle though, and next few weeks really need to see at least three quality signings coming in. 

Good Dundee support down.

Good to be back!

Archived