Vale of Leithen

Ruthrieston

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Finally found a Vale thread :thumsup2

No sure if the other title contenders will be happy should the Vale be giving up home advantage IF  Victoria Park falls foul to the weather 

OR 

Is it a case of well done the Vale on showing a bit initiative ?

20190207_140755.jpg

Mixed feelings on this Newky, one one hand they could be commended for showing initiative.

On the other hand it could be viewed as being unfair on other teams in terms of travel, and of course the surface at Ainslie is more conducive to playing flowing football.

1 minute ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Mixed feelings on this Newky, one one hand they could be commended for showing initiative.

On the other hand it could be viewed as being unfair on other teams in terms of travel, and of course the surface at Ainslie is more conducive to playing flowing football.

BSC have also given up home advantage this weekend, playing Gala at Broadwood.

It has happened before in isolated instances... Gretna v Gala at Annan for storm damage; Stirling Uni v Dalbeattie at Spartans as felt Forthbank pitch couldn't stand Saturday-Sunday games in January; plus BSCG v Selkirk at Gala, v Edusport and Preston at EK, v Spartans at Airdrie, v Stirling Uni at Spartans (closed-door) and v Threave at QotS due to the well-known end-of-season issues they had at Maryhill.

Doing so for convenience, as seen this weekend, is a new development.

NB raises an interesting point. Some may consider getting games on Saturday afternoon as admirable - others that it's unprofessional or skews a level playing field.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Do not agree with this in the slightest ! 

If there were a backlog or fixture pile up then perhaps yes ,,,,,,,,,,,,but neither apply here

Totally unfair on the other teams who have had to play on their rotten coos field of a pitch :thumbsdown

Just because they train at Spartans they now want to play there as well ,,,why dont all the reams just play wherever each week then ,,,pathetic

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It has happened before in isolated instances... Gretna v Gala at Annan for storm damage; Stirling Uni v Dalbeattie at Spartans as felt Forthbank pitch couldn't stand Saturday-Sunday games in January; plus BSCG v Selkirk at Gala, v Edusport and Preston at EK, v Spartans at Airdrie, v Stirling Uni at Spartans (closed-door) and v Threave at QotS due to the well-known end-of-season issues they had at Maryhill.

Doing so for convenience, as seen this weekend, is a new development.

NB raises an interesting point. Some may consider getting games on Saturday afternoon as admirable - others that it's unprofessional or skews a level playing field.

You say its happened in "isolated instances", then provide 6 x examples of BSC doing it in previous seasons  :-)

And haven't  all the instances you have identified have been for a form of "convenience", therefore how is it a "new development?"

56 minutes ago, Kirk St Moritz said:

Yes for different reasons though. 

Personally think moving yer home pitch shouldn't be allowed at all,granted the BSC problems in the past,I'm sure ww had to name a 2nd pitch think that was a floodlighting issue if memory serves right.

Is it no making the league look a bit amateurish especially wi the profile having been raised this season more than ever ?

Don't think we'd ever see e.g Cowdenbeath play at East End Park  ?

12 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Yes for different reasons though. 

Personally think moving yer home pitch shouldn't be allowed at all,granted the BSC problems in the past,I'm sure ww had to name a 2nd pitch think that was a floodlighting issue if memory serves right.

Is it no making the league look a bit amateurish especially wi the profile having been raised this season more than ever ?

Don't think we'd ever see e.g Cowdenbeath play at East End Park  ?

I tend to agree, but the argument is lost when describing all the instances of the past, and the fact that BSC also have to move to Broadwood this weekend as they can't get first dibs on their "home" venue. 

Also pretty sure Gretna played a top-flight game v Rangers at Fir Park in 2008, due to Raydale being weather-problematic?

1 hour ago, Kirk St Moritz said:

Very true, but the travel is similar for Gala, and the surfaces are much the same? As I have said, VoL’s decision could be viewed both in a positive light or a negative one.

1 hour ago, Kirk St Moritz said:

I tend to agree, but the argument is lost when describing all the instances of the past, and the fact that BSC also have to move to Broadwood this weekend as they can't get first dibs on their "home" venue. 

Also pretty sure Gretna played a top-flight game v Rangers at Fir Park in 2008, due to Raydale being weather-problematic?

Think they played all their games there that season since Raydale was never SPL standard?

Anyway, I'm not really in favour of this unless it was an absolute emergency (like not being able to finish the season due to a backlog of fixtures). Not sure it's really at that point yet, is it?

That being said, Shire played some South Challenge Cup games at the Falkirk Stadium when we were still at Ochilview (in our first season in the LL, I think?), different competition from the league but you could maybe make the same argument there.

1 hour ago, AlansHotBath said:

Anyway, I'm not really in favour of this unless it was an absolute emergency (like not being able to finish the season due to a backlog of fixtures). Not sure it's really at that point yet, is it?

That being said, Shire played some South Challenge Cup games at the Falkirk Stadium when we were still at Ochilview (in our first season in the LL, I think?), different competition from the league but you could maybe make the same argument there.

My understandinf was that Shire played the South Region Cup games in 2016/17 at the Falkirk Stadium as we only had a contract for league games at Ochilview that season and cup games were then charged on top per individual game. Falkirk's price for these games were more competitive so we played there

My understandinf was that Shire played the South Region Cup games in 2016/17 at the Falkirk Stadium as we only had a contract for league games at Ochilview that season and cup games were then charged on top per individual game. Falkirk's price for these games were more competitive so we played there

Stirling uni for a good few years used to play cup ties back on campus rather than at Forthbank. Perhaps for the same thing.

6 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Just surprised they aren't playing at Gala since it's much closer and GFR aren't at home, though if they train at Spartans that may be why. There isn't a backlog but Vale have played the least amount of games.

Probably Spartans will cost a lot less than highering Gala pitch? Just a thought! 

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I seem to recall a certain club giving up home advantage to play some Glasgow non-entities called Celtic in the Scottish Cup years ago... perhaps their pitch wasn't playable as the game was between November and March.. ;)

I seem to recall a certain club playing all around Edinburgh looking for pitches because there were flower shows taking priority at theirs.  :P

Edited by newcastle broon

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I seem to recall a certain club giving up home advantage to play some Glasgow non-entities called Celtic in the Scottish Cup years ago... perhaps their pitch wasn't playable as the game was between November and March.. ;)

Oh Tam the irony ... :D