Best Away Experiences.

Ludo*1

I've not done a lot of foreign away trips. I've visited every stadium in Scotland bar Hibs for some bizarre reason. 

I've visited the San Siro, Nou Camp and Old Trafford. I've also been to the Etihad. Other than that - I'm a bit sparse - the few left on my 'bucket list' are going to a Boca Juniors game, Real Madrid and Dortmund. Bayern's stadium looks amazing as well. 

Other than those though, where am I missing out on? What's the best stadium experience you've had? Where is a must visit? What else should I add to my bucket list?

I've not done a lot of foreign away trips. I've visited every stadium in Scotland bar Hibs for some bizarre reason. 
I've visited the San Siro, Nou Camp and Old Trafford. I've also been to the Etihad. Other than that - I'm a bit sparse - the few left on my 'bucket list' are going to a Boca Juniors game, Real Madrid and Dortmund. Bayern's stadium looks amazing as well. 
Other than those though, where am I missing out on? What's the best stadium experience you've had? Where is a must visit? What else should I add to my bucket list?
Atlético Madrid - Bernabeu is impressive but preferred Vicente Calderon. Only seen their new stadium from the outside as it wasn't finished but aim to visit Wanda Metropolitano at some point.

In Scotland out of the top flight teams, Hibs and Hearts are the best away days. Two great stadiums, plenty of cracking boozers in Edinburgh as well.

Outside the top flight, Elgin is a great away for the grassy bank in the sun and I have a real soft spot for Somerset Park even if Ayr is a dump.

38 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You need to discover non league football Ludo ! 

If you are going to go to a Boca game it has to be the derby against River Plate as theres no point in spending that cash to go to a run f the mill game.Pay extra get a stand seat dont go behind the goals its nuts.Tickets easily available down there just ask at your hotel.Same goes for any Brazilian match at the Maracana if you fancy there,your hotel will sort you out a ticket and a "safe" taxi to and from the game

In Switzerland I would recommend Basel and St Jakobs for a game. Even when half empty, it creates and keeps a tremendous amount of noise and atmosphere.

Allianz Arena was good when I was there last season, though the home fans were fairly subdued for the most part, I think as they expected to win comfortably and did win comfortably. Wouldn't mind taking in something with a little more edge if I ever go back.

San Siro is falling to bits and definitely seen better days, but the walk up to the stadium and just taking it all in is a must for any football fan. One of the most iconic arenas in the game and worth every second of the visit.

Best away day I have ever had was Vaduz, but that was probably as much down to starting on the bevvy at 8am on a Sunday morning and bevvying constantly through the game then celebrating a very late 30 yard winner to lift Aarau off the bottom of the league, as it was to do with being a tidy wee ground with an absolutely stunning back drop.

Went to see Bayern vs Koln at the Allianz and found it pretty boring (paid a lot for tickets too!). Have seen Koln at their home ground though which was good... they also play a version of Loch Lomond at the start of their matches too.

Feyenoord was good at the end of last season. They open up their training ground next to the stadium so you can have beers beforehand (and dance to techno if you so wish).

On 15/07/2018 at 20:14, doulikefish said:

If you are going to go to a Boca game it has to be the derby against River Plate as theres no point in spending that cash to go to a run f the mill game.Pay extra get a stand seat dont go behind the goals its nuts.Tickets easily available down there just ask at your hotel.Same goes for any Brazilian match at the Maracana if you fancy there,your hotel will sort you out a ticket and a "safe" taxi to and from the game

I have to disagree. Boca Juniors at home v anyone is brilliant. I went to Boca v Racing and had a ticket behind the goal. Absolutely crazy. Boca fans never stopped singing and bouncing for the full 90 minutes. We were warned not to go into section 12 though. Too dangerous for foreigners.

The following week I went to El Monumental for River v Boca. It wasn't quite as intense as la Bombonera, probably due to the openness of the stadium.  

A football match in Argentina is a must if you can afford it.

I went to Sunderland v Newcastle In 2006 Shearer's last game. One of the best atmosphere's I've ever heard and Sunderland were already down. Nothing but footballing hatred. Coins and bottles flying over the 200 strong police barrier outside the away end. 

My cousin Isn't married and him and his mates do away cities all the time, they've been everywhere and Insist Munich Is the best, they're away back to an 1860 Munich game In a few weeks.

Me and my missus are looking at doing a trip to Europe, 4 days (3 nights) to Amsterdam In October for hotel and flights was £219 pp. Can't complain at that.

On 7/15/2018 at 20:14, doulikefish said:

If you are going to go to a Boca game it has to be the derby against River Plate as theres no point in spending that cash to go to a run f the mill game.

I guess if you're specifically going just for the football, then you should probably try and plan it around that fixture, but any Boca game at the Bombonera would be top class, I think. I know someone who went to Boca v Lanus a couple of years ago (pretty much as run-of-the-mill as it gets) and he said the place was still jumping behind the goals, and was still the best atmosphere he's ever experienced at football.

The Vetlins is probably the best "Modern" stadium I have been to. West Ham played in a tournament with Schalke, Malaga and Newcastle over two days. Can't remember much about the football, but the grub in the ground was incredible. Some sort of ham roll that was tremendous. 

Desperate to do Boca at some stage, had a friend who went out and said that a lot of them didn't particularly like football tourists as such. 

For me this year, going to try and watch Lazio away from home a bit more. 

Desperate to get to Stadio San Paolo, last year they let Lazio fans have tickets for the first time in years a day before the game. So hopefully this year because there was no trouble, tickets will be available with a bit more time. 

24xkun7.jpg

r0c87l.jpg

On 18/07/2018 at 00:18, Nightmare said:

I guess if you're specifically going just for the football, then you should probably try and plan it around that fixture, but any Boca game at the Bombonera would be top class, I think. I know someone who went to Boca v Lanus a couple of years ago (pretty much as run-of-the-mill as it gets) and he said the place was still jumping behind the goals, and was still the best atmosphere he's ever experienced at football.

Have to agree. As I said above I went to Boca v Racing and i've never seen an atmlsphere like it. Fair enough Racing are one of the big 5 but it was something else. That was with no away fans either.

Its quite hard to get tickets for Boca v River at la Bombonera. Easier to get them at el Monumental.  Probably due to it being a bigger stadium.

La Bombonera is a must on any matchday.

Archived