France - the European football power of our time?

GordonS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly think they have the potential to be the dominant force for the next 2/3 tournaments, they have a young team with quality all through it, but the most impressive thing is their depth easily the strongest pool of players to choose from at this moment with a good mix of youth, experience and world class talent.

Germany and Spain are going through a transition so they could either be brilliant in 2/4 years or pish/mediocre versions of themselves like this world cup ( I do think the Germans had issues off the park as the talent is undoubtedly there) ,  Belgium won't be far away at the next  Euros but I doubt they will sustain it after their " golden generation"  has passed.  Croatia this was their chance and think they may fall away a bit after the next Euro's much like Belgium. 

I don't think Argentina or Brazil will be anywhere near the next world cup either, but I don't know enough about south American football to be certain as their might well be some young superstars just ready to break out from these countries in the next few years.

Then we come to Scotland - Realistically the only team capable of beating this unstoppable French juggernaut

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

It did come across a bit ‘I’m not racist, but...’

I wish Scotland had got some African colonies out of the better together, family of nations stuff. Ghana for example. Imagine Zidane had moved to Scotland instead of France. Or Viera. Basically England fucked up by not getting Algeria and Senegal. Top Trumps.

France get Cameroon too (Mbappe). That’s not fair. These French c***s are basically reaping the benefits of colonialism.

Zidane didn't move to France. He was born in France and lived in France until he signed for Juventus.

Mbappe was also born in France and has lived there all his life.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

It did come across a bit ‘I’m not racist, but...’

I wish Scotland had got some African colonies out of the better together, family of nations stuff. Ghana for example. Imagine Zidane had moved to Scotland instead of France. Or Viera. Basically England fucked up by not getting Algeria and Senegal. Top Trumps.

France get Cameroon too (Mbappe). That’s not fair. These French c***s are basically reaping the benefits of colonialism.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

It was quite racist as you say. France were lucky Paul was the only Pogba born in France. 

Nigeria has certainly provided a few players to all the home nations through family links. We had Iwelumo and Ikechi Anya off the top of my head. 

Germany have certainly benefited a fair degree to economic migrants over the years.

John Barnes could have played for any of the home nations.

I guess we will never get much of a benefit from immigrants due to the political process, tbh. Thistle are looking at a lad from Pollok but I don’t think he can actually sign a professional contract due to his immigration status.

I don’t think there is much in the way of new players coming to Old colonial powers these days as policies have drastically changed over the years. 

What I was going to post:  On a similar point, and I'm using Football Manager knowledge here, is there any link to Belgium being the work-permit oasis that it is and their success in building a strong team recently?

What I did:  Checked google as I assumed some of their squad had been born outside of Belgium and had taken up Belgian nationality after playing in the country from a young age.

What actually happened:  They all seem to be born in Belgium (except for Januzaj but he is shite).

Conclusion: Nothing to see here.

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

What I was going to post:  On a similar point, and I'm using Football Manager knowledge here, is there any link to Belgium being the work-permit oasis that it is and their success in building a strong team recently?

What I did:  Checked google as I assumed some of their squad had been born outside of Belgium and had taken up Belgian nationality after playing in the country from a young age.

What actually happened:  They all seem to be born in Belgium (except for Januzaj but he is shite).

Conclusion: Nothing to see here.

France had two players born in a foreign Country. Steve Mandanda was born in what was Zaire. Umtiti was born in Yaoundé in Cameroon. Mandanda moves with his family as a teenager. I think that was actually a Belgian colony. Umtiti and his family moved to France when he was 2 years old. 

Doesn't matter where a player is born. What matters is what coaching system they work under. So they could be a naturally talented player but if they're working under a shite system like in Scotland, it won't make a difference.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Doesn't matter where a player is born. What matters is what coaching system they work under. So they could be a naturally talented player but if they're working under a shite system like in Scotland, it won't make a difference.

Umtiti joined his local club at 5 years old and then moved to Lyon’s academy when he was 9 years old :lol:

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

It was quite racist as you say. France were lucky Paul was the only Pogba born in France. 

Nigeria has certainly provided a few players to all the home nations through family links. We had Iwelumo and Ikechi Anya off the top of my head. 

Germany have certainly benefited a fair degree to economic migrants over the years.

John Barnes could have played for any of the home nations.

I guess we will never get much of a benefit from immigrants due to the political process, tbh. Thistle are looking at a lad from Pollok but I don’t think he can actually sign a professional contract due to his immigration status.

I don’t think there is much in the way of new players coming to Old colonial powers these days as policies have drastically changed over the years. 

What is racist about it? just stating the obvious. If you want to be offended by a simple fact, then that is your problem. France in all sports, quite clearly benefit by the huge migration from African counties, more so than any other country in Europe.

France benefited from good coaching and having an FA that knows what they are doing.

Having all the teams train and mix in the same place is a great idea. Imagine being picked for your nation u16 team and working with the full squad. 

1 hour ago, TrebleTwenty said:

What is racist about it? just stating the obvious. If you want to be offended by a simple fact, then that is your problem. France in all sports, quite clearly benefit by the huge migration from African counties, more so than any other country in Europe.

Nobody is offended and there was no fact, just your opinion.

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

England messed up by only colonising rugby and cricket playing nations.

tbf, they weren't cricket or rugby playing nations until the British occupied them and stole all their stuff.

It's an interesting thing though - England "invented" football, yet the former British Empire makes up most of the countries in which football isn't the number one sport - Ireland, Wales, USA, Canada, West Indies, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Fiji, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Even the African colonies are much less football-y, mostly in East Africa, with the major exception being Nigeria. You could include British control of China in that too. I wonder how much of it is due to the class of those in charge of the occupations - football was exported by traders and teachers, and cricket by colonialists and civil servants who would have looked down on football.

I didn't really see this thread turning in to a discussion about empire and immigration, if I'm honest.

Lots of immigrants in Belgium too, but not so many in Croatia or Uruguay so I'm not really sure how relevant any of this is.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

If Zidane had been born in Scotland he'd probably have been discarded by our youth system at age 10 or something.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

I didn't really see this thread turning in to a discussion about empire and immigration, if I'm honest.

Lots of immigrants in Belgium too, but not so many in Croatia or Uruguay so I'm not really sure how relevant any of this is.

Would be interesting to see a more detailed study of it. I tend to think it's over-rated as a factor in a lot of ways.

Countries with more immigration have more immigrants / children of immigrants in their teams. Some are good, some not so good. I'm not sure what's so shocking about it.

Iceland have barely any immigrants in their side, yet are massively overachieving. Good coaching is still by far and away the most important factor.

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Zidane didn't move to France. He was born in France and lived in France until he signed for Juventus.

Mbappe was also born in France and has lived there all his life.

Yup, Zidane was born in Marseille from immigrants. (Algerian descent.) Doesn't matter a jot though. An outstanding player.

Archived