France - the European football power of our time?

GordonS

In the last 20 years, in the eleven major tournaments since and including 1998, France have made the final five times. They're won three, lost one on penalties and lost one in extra time.

In that time Spain, Italy and Germany have each made three finals, and Netherlands, Portugal, Greece and Croatia have made one each. Obviously England haven't reached any, only making one semi final.

It often feels like we don't think of France quite on the same terms as Germany, Italy and Spain; is it time to reconsider their place in the current scheme of things?

And they're a young squad, do we expect them to continue at the top for a long time, or maybe even come to dominate?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain

Germany

Italy

France. 

France have the potential to be the best though due to the age of their squad. They don't have the defence of Italy, the workmanship of Germany or the class of Spain hence why they've probably been underlooked but we can easily be talking about the attack of France in the next few years to come. That said, the way they saw the game out against Belgium was easily their most impressive display for me even if it wasn't easy on the eye. 

In the last 20 years, in the eleven major tournaments since and including 1998, France have made the final five times. They're won three, lost one on penalties and lost one in extra time.
In that time Spain, Italy and Germany have each made three finals, and Netherlands, Portugal, Greece and Croatia have made one each. Obviously England haven't reached any, only making one semi final.
It often feels like we don't think of France quite on the same terms as Germany, Italy and Spain; is it time to reconsider their place in the current scheme of things?
And they're a young squad, do we expect them to continue at the top for a long time, or maybe even come to dominate?

If they ever remake Fantasy Football you are a shoe-in for the Statto gig. Do you own a nice dressing gown.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Probably helps that the Brown envelope loving c***s who run football have awarded France two home tournaments in 18 years.

Two different organisations though. They also hosted the Rugby World Cup in 2007 and will again in 2023, and then they'll host the Olympics in 2024. Either they're very good at brown envelopes or they're very, very good at bidding for sports events. 

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

If they ever remake Fantasy Football you are a shoe-in for the Statto gig. Do you own a nice dressing gown.

No. I do have an unacceptable level of love for a spreadsheet, though.

A2D6CBB8-A2BB-4663-94D5-D141FA10F52C.gif.8a5279616f9851f25ab1c1766a3ecfa8.gif

It did come across a bit ‘I’m not racist, but...’

I wish Scotland had got some African colonies out of the better together, family of nations stuff. Ghana for example. Imagine Zidane had moved to Scotland instead of France. Or Viera. Basically England fucked up by not getting Algeria and Senegal. Top Trumps.

France get Cameroon too (Mbappe). That’s not fair. These French c***s are basically reaping the benefits of colonialism.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m did come across a bit ‘I’m not racist, but...’

I wish Scotland had got some African colonies out of the better together, family of nations stuff. Ghana for example. Imagine Zidane had moved to Scotland instead of France. Or Viera. Basically England fucked to by not getting Algeria and Senegal. Top Trumps.

It was quite racist as you say. France were lucky Paul was the only Pogba born in France. 

Nigeria has certainly provided a few players to all the home nations through family links. We had Iwelumo and Ikechi Anya off the top of my head. 

Germany have certainly benefited a fair degree to economic migrants over the years.

John Barnes could have played for any of the home nations.

I guess we will never get much of a benefit from immigrants due to the political process, tbh. Thistle are looking at a lad from Pollok but I don’t think he can actually sign a professional contract due to his immigration status.

I don’t think there is much in the way of new players coming to Old colonial powers these days as policies have drastically changed over the years. 

17 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It did come across a bit ‘I’m not racist, but...’

I wish Scotland had got some African colonies out of the better together, family of nations stuff. Ghana for example. Imagine Zidane had moved to Scotland instead of France. Or Viera. Basically England fucked up by not getting Algeria and Senegal. Top Trumps.

France get Cameroon too (Mbappe). That’s not fair. These French c***s are basically reaping the benefits of colonialism.

England got the Caribbean. A poor man's Africa (in terms of football).

Image may contain: text

34 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

It was quite racist as you say. France were lucky Paul was the only Pogba born in France. 

Nigeria has certainly provided a few players to all the home nations through family links. We had Iwelumo and Ikechi Anya off the top of my head. 

Germany have certainly benefited a fair degree to economic migrants over the years.

John Barnes could have played for any of the home nations.

I guess we will never get much of a benefit from immigrants due to the political process, tbh. Thistle are looking at a lad from Pollok but I don’t think he can actually sign a professional contract due to his immigration status.

I don’t think there is much in the way of new players coming to Old colonial powers these days as policies have drastically changed over the years. 

Two words

David fùcking Livingstone.

Remind them of who it was that civilised them. Sign up the good ones.

Two words
David fùcking Livingstone.
Remind them of who it was that civilised them. Sign up the good ones.

What country was Dave in about? I’ll bet it’s one that’s as rubbish as Scotland are at football.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

What country was Dave in about? I’ll bet it’s one that’s as rubbish as Scotland are at football.

The Scottish school system is failing, David Livingstone INVENTED Africa. 

Archived