West Region Fixture Update

Kennie

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I contacted one representative of each club this morning and both agreed it would be ok to pair both idle teams in a new fixture.

I had looked at the fixtures and thought it best to go with Cambuslang v Clydebank, again both clubs had accepted this as OK.

With hindsight, perhaps we were too hasty with it. Going with Cambuslang v Clydebank means that Clydebank will have 5 away fixtures and depending on the results from the Sectional League Cup it could be more. 

Changing it to Clydebank v Cambuslang is also problematic. Cambuslang would have a minimum of 3 aways in a row, but it also changes things for them in November where they could be faced with 4 home games in a row in what might be poor weather conditions.

Both teams have been in contact with me, once they realised the implications of the fixture, to voice their concerns, which I consider as valid points.

I have therefore taken the decision to withdraw the fixture for the time-being. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Gentles said:

Well done to kennie for using common sense and giving teams a game rather than being idle, only wee concern is maybe that hes being too nice coming on here explaining things as hes leaving himself open

I fully accept that by using P&B that I may be making a rod for my own back. But I strongly believe in openness and honesty. I also believe that communication with the fans is also very important. 

Well done to Kennie for at least trying to do something.

I find it astonishing that the clubs would rather sit idle than play a game at the start of the season on a Saturday.

It was scandalous that both Talbot and Cumnock sat idle twice last season while Glenafton and Girvan were playing in the Scottish Cup and IMO had a detrimental effect to our season later on. It could have been two games we didn't have to play on a Monday night for example when we were already playing on the Wednesday.

It will be interesting to see if these clubs complain about midweek games later on

18 minutes ago, Kennie said:

I contacted one representative of each club this morning and both agreed it would be ok to pair both idle teams in a new fixture.

I had looked at the fixtures and thought it best to go with Cambuslang v Clydebank, again both clubs had accepted this as OK.

With hindsight, perhaps we were too hasty with it. Going with Cambuslang v Clydebank means that Clydebank will have 5 away fixtures and depending on the results from the Sectional League Cup it could be more. 

Changing it to Clydebank v Cambuslang is also problematic. Cambuslang would have a minimum of 3 aways in a row, but it also changes things for them in November where they could be faced with 4 home games in a row in what might be poor weather conditions.

Both teams have been in contact with me, once they realised the implications of the fixture, to voice their concerns, which I consider as valid points.

You simply cant win and it could now just be that both teams are idle rather than playing despite you doing well in using foresight.

Best wishes in your new role kennie ........i think youre going to need it ................. mon the joonyurs. .

6 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

Sitting idle is preferable to playing 5 of our first  6 games away!

Sporting integrity of  the competition is zero otherwise.

But surely the balance will reverse later on in the season with a run of " home-ish " games, get off to a flyer with your away games and you get a good run to continue  your position of strength at home ? 

Sitting idle is preferable to playing 5 of our first  6 games away!
Sporting integrity of  the competition is zero otherwise.

Utter pish talk , so you spat the dummy in an earlier post stating playing another away fixture would leave the club with no income coming in , so now you sit idle meaning no income coming in plus you still have to play same fixture later in season.......

16 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

Having no money coming in at the start of the season is another reason.

Cambuslang are just being unreasonable imo.They surely must see the unfairness of us having no home games at the start of the season?

Total nonsense. So let’s get this straight . We are down to play auchinleck at home on Aug 11th . It gets cancelled as they are in the big cup - it can’t be helped. We are then given Clydebank at home - ok that’s fine we will take that it’s still a home game . Someone comes on here and moans that you guys have 5 games away in a row . You then try to get it moved . For clarity here it is not our fault Clydebank don’t have a pitch as that is why your fixtures are wonky as both you and Maryhill can’t play at same time . We have already been given a very hard start to the season and this fixture change would mean us going to Beith, yourselves and Pollok all within a week. Also you mention about money so will we just change it because you guys need money? Every junior team is in the same position.  The fixture secretary has a  hard job but the original fixture should have been honoured.

Season will be a joke anyway.  Imo.If the west don't join the pyramid. Bankies who are leaving WILL affect league positions wether promotion /relegation. Has a plan been put in place to avoid this. What happens if they are in one of the relegation places will the 4th bottom team be relegated. Sporting integrity. This should be decided BEFORE the season starts so WE all know where we stand. But no doubt we will be told at the eleventh hour or not. Discuss

56 minutes ago, Kennie said:

Reckon it's better to get match played no matter who is home team. We might pay later on for this fine weather we are having.

5 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

There’s no benefit for us in playing the game.We get no money and have to play another away game.

If anyone thinks it’s fair  for a club to play 5 out of its first 6 league games away then I’d love to hear the reasoning?

If you, as you seem to have already said, would prefer not to play at all instead of playing away then there probably isn't any reasoning that anyone could give you.

Only issue you may have is, with our usual Scottish weather October-April, that the game may now be pushed back further and further leaving you with a fixture pile up at the end of the season.

My guesstimation (and this is directed purely at you as a fan and not at Clydebank) is that you see the clubs future from next season away from the Juniors and will as a result throw your toys out the pram at any perceived unfairness towards your club this season.   Kennie should've kept the 4 away games and tell the club he would schedule them 4 home games at the start next season but he's probably too much of a professional to do that.

While it's good that it's being sorted - why were Talbot and Beith given games in the first place, given it's been known since the last day of the season they would both be playing in the big Scottish Cup first preliminary round on 11th August?

11 minutes ago, dk81130 said:

Total nonsense. So let’s get this straight . We are down to play auchinleck at home on Aug 11th . It gets cancelled as they are in the big cup - it can’t be helped. We are then given Clydebank at home - ok that’s fine we will take that it’s still a home game . Someone comes on here and moans that you guys have 5 games away in a row . You then try to get it moved . For clarity here it is not our fault Clydebank don’t have a pitch as that is why your fixtures are wonky as both you and Maryhill can’t play at same time . We have already been given a very hard start to the season and this fixture change would mean us going to Beith, yourselves and Pollok all within a week. Also you mention about money so will we just change it because you guys need money? Every junior team is in the same position.  The fixture secretary has a  hard job but the original fixture should have been honoured.

There is no reason for our fixtures to be wonky,why can’t you see that? Kennie has already stated that he jumped the gun by putting you at home.Your secretary agreed to change the game as he obviously agreed that it was the better option.You had sponsorship for the Talbot game which is NOT happening anyway.You still have a home game in the 1st 4 games whereas we’ll have none!

Come on be fair!

To run a junior club all season at the top level people are still adamant that gate money is the major factor , its a percentage however probably a much lower pecentage than people think, youre running a dangerous model if you're relying solely on gate money pulling you through if  you're landed with 5 away games in a row.

A season long budget needs to be in place through sponsorship and other major fundraisings events / weekly fundraisers etc , gatemoney isnt the be all and end all and sometimes it can even cost you money to host a game if playing a team at home in the scottish from afar.

Archived