The Meh Derby: Kilmarnock v St. Johnstone

Steve Clarke expressed his pleasure at his attacking options and the manner of his team's 2-0 home win over St Johnstone.

Goals from Scott Boyd and Mikael Ndjoli handed Killie a first opening day league triumph since 2009.

Ndjoli grabbed his fourth goal of the season after coming off the bench to unleash an unstoppable shot from 25 yards out to give Zander Clark no chance.

And with Kris Boyd, Eamonn Brophy and Lee Erwin already off the mark for the season, Clarke was happy with the goal threat his Killie team possesses.

He said: "Jordan started well in the second half with one good dribble and he’s a confidence player. His confidence came back very quickly and he was one of a number of good performances.

"Mikael is a goalscorer and he’s shown that albeit at a different level. We’re happy to have him here and he gives us something a little bit different. Somebody asked me a few weeks ago if we had enough options to score goals and I think we have.

"I think you saw our forward power. I didn’t even get Greg Kiltie on the pitch today so we’ve got good forward options."

A 3-0 win over Hamilton was the last time Killie took three points from their first league fixture but the Killie boss wasn't getting carried away with another landmark achieved.

For the club these records are meant to be open. We’re not here to set records, we’re here to win football matches.

He added: "For the club these records are meant to be open. We’re not here to set records, we’re here to win football matches.

"We wanted to have a good start today and we’ve done that. Feet back on the ground, back in training tomorrow and get ready for another difficult game away at Livingston next weekend."

The boss also gave an update on defender Stuart Findlay, who has been out of action since a clash of heads at Dumbarton.

He added: "Stuart is still getting one or two little headaches so we’re not taking a risk on him. Kirk and Scott Boyd did so well today which is pleasing and means we don’t need to rush Stuart back."

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/07/2018 at 12:17, PauloPerth said:

Exactly what I was away to put!  Could maybe criticise aspects of our centre midfield, but that comment is a bit out there.

8)

On 30/07/2018 at 12:03, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Are you seriously saying that Murray Davidson is a powderpuff :lol:

Yes.

That was awful. Kilmarnock are well organised, play 4-4-2 and are capable but in no way anything outstanding.. yet they were miles better than us today. They were hungrier, stronger and better on the ball.  They pressed us well and forced hopeful punts up to Tony Watt isolated up front.

I think that game was right up there as one of Tommy Wright's poorest in terms of his decisions/ tactics in his time as manager here.

Opening period we were okay, but once Killie sussed  our formation, they bossed it.  We were never 3 at the back in my opinion, that was 5 in defence the whole game, maybe to do with the way killie forced us back.

After a quiet first half, killie got Jones massively involved after the break and he went past poor Comrie every time. The goal was coming, we were crying out for a tactical change as we could barely string two passes together, but we decided to wait until killie went ahead.

We had a brief spell when we went 4-4-2, but again killie got back on top and Tanser rolled a simple pass straight to a killie player which ended up in the second goal, and they might have won by more in the end. 

Clark had some good stops, though radio suggested first goal was a mistake. Thought all three centre backs did okay overall, full backs were both dreadful, Muzz tried as ever but the three others in midfield; Wotherspoon, Wright and Kennedy were weak, and yes 'powderpuff'.  Kennedy is a player, but keeps the ball far too long and tries to do too much, definitely needs to mix it up a bit.

Watt actually put a shift in and did what he could, with zero service, and next to no support, tough day for him.

Yes only the first game, but a lack of hunger and heart from quite a few of the team. Central midfielder is essential.

Aaron Comrie got taken apart the last game he played here, yet as a young player he's thrown in for his first competitive appearance in ages against the same opponent. As poor as he was that second half, felt he was hung out to dry.

Only three points, but hopefully get a big reaction for next weekend.

The kilmarnock stadium announcer is right up there with Motherwell's as an attention seeking irritating p***k. Thank you.

44 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Steven Anderson is also horrendously shite.

Couldn't disagree more. Thought he was our best player and along with Kerr and Gordon, the only players who - even allowing for the system - I'd excuse for their performances. Really don't see how anyone could come away with that take, of all those possible, from today's game. Plenty of our players disappointed but Steven Anderson certainly wasn't one of them.

Just now, Radford said:

Couldn't disagree more. Thought he was our best player and along with Kerr and Gordon, the only players who - even allowing for the system - I'd excuse for their performances. Really don't see how anyone could come away with that take, of all those possible, from today's game. Plenty of our players disappointed but Steven Anderson certainly wasn't one of them.

Spot on, they more than matched the physicality of the kilmarnock strikers, and, let's be honest, blatant cheating of Boyd.  The lad nadroj is a bit of a simpleton looking for attention.

Killie totally dominated from about 10 minutes.  Power and Dicker ran over the top of Davidson and Wetherspoon. Jones atrocious in the first half and a glimpse of his former self in second with some good runs. Erwin excellent with Burke having a good 60mins or so. 

Njoli top corner was a brilliant strike. 

St Johnstone looked out on their arse after about 75 minutes. Our superior fitness as usual allowed us to finish game strongly. Kiltie , Findlay + McKenzie etc not involved and we strolled it. 

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Spot on, they more than matched the physicality of the kilmarnock strikers, and, let's be honest, blatant cheating of Boyd.  The lad nadroj is a bit of a simpleton looking for attention.

f**k up ya dafty how am I a simpleton looking for attention? What have I said that isn't true? 

Just because you think Anderson was your best defender today doesn't mean he wasn't shite.

12 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Just because you think Anderson was your best defender today doesn't mean he wasn't shite.

Everyone is entitled to opinions but when it's so blatantly wrong it needs picked up on. You literally have about 8 players you could single out and you pick one of the very few who was actually good.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The kilmarnock stadium announcer is right up there with Motherwell's as an attention seeking irritating p***k. Thank you.

Match day 1 and already trying to deflect your tactically inept manager and woeful performance by slagging me off.

Not all sunshine and fun in Perth, it appears ;-) 

#WeAreKillie 

Away support was apparently 389, for anyone interested. Just over 4000 home fans. 

70 more fans attended than the corresponding fixture last season. 

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Everyone is entitled to opinions but when it's so blatantly wrong it needs picked up on. You literally have about 8 players you could single out and you pick one of the very few who was actually good.

Wouldn't have said he was bad, both centre backs kept Boyd quiet. He seemed to lose the rag a wee bit later in the game. Seemed to stem from an incident when he headed the ball out for a corner when keeper had called for it. As well as playing in a shite team.

It's frustrating at times, Boydy clearly gets fouled (he fouls as well) but the referees let them go because he's a physical player. Not sure the line is in the right place. 

Match day 1 and already trying to deflect your tactically inept manager and woeful performance by slagging me off.
#WeAreKillie 

He hasn’t deflected it at all. He’s given a perfectly reasonable analysis of our shortcomings today of which there were plenty, as have many others. He’s then concluded with further accurate comments about the stadium announcer being an attention seeking p***k with one of those voices I’d pay vast sums of money to never hear again. None of that deflects from our poor performance or inept tactics today but it is fact. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Gav_Wallace1 said:

#WeAreKillie 

Going onto Twitter to complain about being called an irritating attention-seeking p***k is the very definition of being an irritating attention-seeking p***k. 

It sounds to me that you're an irritating attention-seeking p***k.

Archived