Do you love your parents?

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mum died when I was 18 and my Dad died 2 years ago today.  

I went to St Andrews today to the Rock and Spindle to pay him a visit and let him know that Stevie G was the gaffer now and we were #goingfor55 again. 

Don't think Francis Joseph was too impressed, as he didn't say anything. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and my dad only really communicated by talking about football. When he was on his death bed my mum said he wanted to speak to me so I went into the hospital room thinking I was going to have a profound father and son chat with him, turned out he just wanted to tell me to get a new kitchen for my flat. 

25 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Mum died when I was 18 and my Dad died 2 years ago today.  

I went to St Andrews today to the Rock and Spindle to pay him a visit and let him know that Stevie G was the gaffer now and we were #goingfor55 again. 

Don't think Francis Joseph was too impressed, as he didn't say anything. 

How do you tweet a dead person? Especially a lie...

Have a really good blether with my old dear every week and love her dearly, always have. See her maybe once every other month.

Old man I’ll speak to every other day but nothing meaningful, just about football. Seen him twice in the past 2 years. He was my hero, then him and my mum split up and other than taking me to the football and looking after me the odd weekend didn’t spend much time together, I thought he was a nobber but now that I’ve grown up I realise he’s gid c**t and love him dearly as well.

Also get on very well with both my “step dad” and “step mum” and realise I’m very lucky to essentially have four parents who want the best for me.

1 hour ago, whiskychimp said:

I love them but the old man still wants to prove he's fitter than me. Unfortunately he always wins. Last time he visited he did 15 pull ups and 18 chin ups. He's 70.

I'll try again in 5 years. 

I hope this is a joke/reference I don't get otherwise I feel for you, that's pretty fecked up.  Fair play to the old man if he's still doing chin ups at 70 if that's the case.

Still fortunate enough to have both parents, until recently thought everything was going well until my dad decided to interfere with the running of my sons BB group. 

I now know he is a dick and my mum defends him. He would never have allowed my grand parents to interfere with my Scout group but can’t see that he has over stepped the mark. 

I should get over it but it has really soured things. 

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I have some friends who have parents from hell - one whose mother had to escape the family home at midnight to go and live in a woman’s refuge because he was such a horrific violent drunken abuser. He got back in contact a couple of decades later, having set himself up as a holistic alternative medicine healer person. What an utter c**t.

You sound sure of yourself 

Melenius alluded to the Philip Larkin poem above but it does ring true to me:

They f**k you up, your mum and dad.   

They may not mean to, but they do.   

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn

By fools in old-style hats and coats,   

Who half the time were soppy-stern

And half at one another’s throats.

So basically what I'm saying is:

5b4a8663b319f_drquinch.jpg.7c822c7a68e9cf8880cc1ef069f68e38.jpg

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Melenius alluded to the Philip Larkin poem above but it does ring true to me:

They f**k you up, your mum and dad.   

They may not mean to, but they do.   

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn

By fools in old-style hats and coats,   

Who half the time were soppy-stern

And half at one another’s throats.

So basically what I'm saying is:

5b4a8663b319f_drquinch.jpg.7c822c7a68e9cf8880cc1ef069f68e38.jpg

Picking holes in parenting is a bit like shooting fish in a  barrel, most parents will feel some guilt about their parenting, for the most part unnecessarily but we all do it. 

I used to until my daughter was born. The amount of stuff they let her away with that my brother and I couldn't dream of getting away with sickens me!

In all seriousness I've got a good couple. Growing up I used to think they were strict an example being when other kids were away from the street playing and we'd ask if we could go away and be told no. At the time we'd think it was unfair and our parents were arseholes for not letting us go. As an adult I can appreciate now it was because they cared, that we weren't allowed out their sight. We weren't rich but we never went without and always got what we asked for at Christmas (within reason!). We weren't spoiled throughout the year (Xmas the exception) and we would see other kids appear to get everything they wanted. 3 folk in our street were really bad for it. Always seemed to get what they wanted and at the time my brother and I were obviously a bit jealous. One of them is now an illiterate cow (genuinely! She was so ruined she decided when she wanted to go to school) who hasn't worked a day in her life, the other works but doesn't appear to have done well given the job he's doing and the last one is a complete waster. Thinking back I imagine the parents giving them what they wanted has played a major part in them not working for anything in their life. Both my brother and I have always worked and are both in good jobs now. I put that predominantly down to how we were brought up.

Geed c***s.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I have some friends who have parents from hell - one whose mother had to escape the family home at midnight to go and live in a woman’s refuge because he was such a horrific violent drunken abuser. He got back in contact a couple of decades later, having set himself up as a holistic alternative medicine healer person. What an utter c**t.

Hiya Radovan Karadzic's son's friend, hiya pal!

Get on well with my dad. We had the usual arguments and fights I think most teenage boys and their fathers have, but I always felt I could tell him more, or ask for his advise.

Unfortunately he’s borderline racist, homophobic, and a Tory, apart from that he’s a top boy.

I don’t feel close to my mum, in fact I blame her for my school struggles, she hates my girlfriend but has a strange obsession over providing anything and everything my sister asks for, but mocking me if I ask for a help with something in my house.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
5 minutes ago, The DA said:
I love my parents but I would have a bath with either of them.  Or my father-in-law.

Em?

Ask throbber.  He put the thought in my mind.

6 minutes ago, The DA said:

I love my parents but I would have a bath with either of them.  Or my father-in-law.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
6 minutes ago, The DA said:

Em?

He's maybe missed out a "not". At least, I hope he's missed out a "not"...

Unfortunately he’s borderline racist, homophobic, and a Tory, apart from that he’s a top boy.

You could’ve been describing my Dad there. Sound as a pound in so many ways and yet he was the Daily Mail demographic personified. I think the only political opinion the 2 of us ever shared was a mutual contempt for the Royal Family.

Archived