Do you love your parents?

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most folk, of course I love my parents. I particularly like the way our relationship has evolved, as I grew into an adult, from parent (which they'll always be obviously) to that of friendship and genuinely enjoying each others company.

My relationship with my Dad was difficult during my teenage years but I always knew he loved me and appreciated that he worked hard to provide for my Sister and I.

Barely see them. Not close to them really. I've lived in Dundee for nearly 4 years and they've visited me once (it's a circa 45 drive for them).

They haven't phoned me in a long time; I always have to phone them. I don't dislike them at all and get on fine with them when I see them*. It's all very odd. We don't speak about it all though and there does seem to be a undercurrent of tension, as if we're all avoiding it.

*Well sometimes my mum is a dreadful person as she's an alcoholic.

I have fantastic parents, I’m hugely lucky with my family and upbringing. My wife’s parents are divorced, her dad is now married to a woman only a few years older than my wife that he walked out on his family to marry. That causes a bit of tension as well as the fact that he and his wife are a bit arsey. They are alright though really.

I have some friends who have parents from hell - one whose mother had to escape the family home at midnight to go and live in a woman’s refuge because he was such a horrific violent drunken abuser. He got back in contact a couple of decades later, having set himself up as a holistic alternative medicine healer person. What an utter c**t.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Mater showed a keen interest in Rangers* and coincidentally, like her team, she ceased to exist as an entity in 2012.

Pater is still with us and still follows the fortunes of Hibs Club Club.

Great bunch of lads tbf.

Aye, but surely you have her ashes sitting on the mantlepiece, and refer to her as The Mater?

Maw's deid sadly. Love my Dad, but he's of that generation that spout casual racism. "Spot the white man" when a news article comes on BBC.

Also thinks homosexuality can be cured.

Sooner that generation GTFO the better.

Just give me a few more years of my Dad though. 

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Mater showed a keen interest in Rangers* and coincidentally, like her team, she ceased to exist as an entity in 2012.

Pater is still with us and still follows the fortunes of Hibs Club Club.

Great bunch of lads tbf.

explains a lot

Love one of them, the other is brown bread.

5 hours ago, sjc said:

Like most folk, of course I love my parents. I particularly like the way our relationship has evolved, as I grew into an adult, from parent (which they'll always be obviously) to that of friendship and genuinely enjoying each others company.

My relationship with my Dad was difficult during my teenage years but I always knew he loved me and appreciated that he worked hard to provide for my Sister and I.

^^^ This pretty much sums it up, I thought my dad was a dick and he thought I was a dick. One of us was right and it wasn't me. Grew up a bit and we actually started to like and respect each other, it didn't take too long, early 20's and we were more or less on the same page.  It wasn't until I got old enough to appreciate what I had parents wise, because my old man was the high school janny, all my mates knew him growing up and he was popular enough with them.  Both parents were very open minded and wanted the best for their kids without being selfish cvnts about it. 

Now things have moved on and they turned into a pair of old buggers (well one old bugger now) they're not the people that they were. Its a bit saddening and a bit of an eye opener of what lies in my future. I go through every week and get my mum's messages and other chores, she see's it as an occasion  and it is disappointed if she can't make it for the messages because of the weather or pain. I've got a lot to thank my parents for, they made me the well rounded fellow I am although I blame my father for the well rounded being of a more physical nature, I'm my fathers son in that respect.

Both parents died before they were 65 my dad is to blame for me supporting Falkirk, I miss them both, they were good people and gave me and my sister everything we needed. I still treasure the image of my normally reserved  dad going apeshit at full time after beating Celtic in 97.

I get on great with my parents, especially my mum who I speak to every day. One on one I don’t have much in common with my dad or much to speak about really, he tries to pretend he’s interested in my life but he quite clearly lives in his own little world and other people don’t really bother him, I am slowly but surely turning into him after having grown up thinking I was nothing like him.

Archived