Qatar 2022

bairney

Same time zone as Moscow I believe? So we may expect a 7pm game at least, for European TV audience.

Moscow time in the summer yes but they don’t change their clocks in winter so Qatar will be three hours up on UK time when the World Cup is played, so I’d be fairly surprised if any games start much later than 5:30pm/6pm over here.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It would be interesting to know what assurances FIFA have received that some of the Arab nations would actually play a fixture against Israel. I've heard that some of them still cut transmission during events where mention of Israel's existence is unavoidable.

Are countries ever kept apart during the draw for the final tournament purely because one or more of the countries don't like each other? Don't remember hearing about it happening.

Saudi and most of the Gulf states other than Qatar would be more concerned about playing Iran than Israel these days.

Moscow time in the summer yes but they don’t change their clocks in winter so Qatar will be three hours up on UK time when the World Cup is played, so I’d be fairly surprised if any games start much later than 5:30pm/6pm over here.
Oh Christ. If they can kill a few migrants here and there to build their stadia, they can bloody well change their timekeeping to suit my commute.

22 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
51 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Oh Christ. If they can kill a few migrants here and there to build their stadia, they can bloody well change their timekeeping to suit my commute.

The bars and restaurants close at 2am now, I doubt 10pm starts would bother them and matching Russian times.

Edited by welshbairn

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Saudi and most of the Gulf states other than Qatar would be more concerned about playing Iran than Israel these days.

Seems like they're worried about playing IN Iran, going by the qualifiers. I guess FIFA agreed.

"kill a few migrants"....... A few years ago the ITUC reported 1200 approx had died building the new stadiums. Ship them in, work them to the bone and bury them where they drop.

15 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That shouldn't be allowed at the finals IMO. If you're going to dictate the teams you're prepared to play, you can GTF,  no exceptions. 

I agree with you on this. If you enter a tournament, you play by it's rules, not yours. If you don't want to play someone/somewhere the procedure's there, 3-0 defeat for any game you pull out of. If it's a ko tournament then you're out. Can't see the problem.

17 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
17 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
It would be interesting to know what assurances FIFA have received that some of the Arab nations would actually play a fixture against Israel. I've heard that some of them still cut transmission during events where mention of Israel's existence is unavoidable.
Are countries ever kept apart during the draw for the final tournament purely because one or more of the countries don't like each other? Don't remember hearing about it happening.

I'd imagine if Ukraine had made this years world cup they'd be kept apart from Russia. I've never seen teams kept apart in final tournaments but it's occured in qualifying on several occasions. Recent examples include Armenia/Azerbaijan (still the case iirc), Russia/Georgia & Spain/Gibraltar.

Can we ask to be kept apart from Georgia?

Anyway, another poster made the (good) point that the World Cup is becoming increasingly middle class and more and more expensive.

Can you imagine the cost of following a team in this World Cup?!

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, another poster made the (good) point that the World Cup is becoming increasingly middle class and more and more expensive.

The feasability of taking a month off work and travelling to another country. How was that ever for the average working person?

On 13/07/2018 at 20:14, GNU_Linux said:

Scenes when Israel qualify

On 13/07/2018 at 20:58, BigFatTabbyDave said:

A condition of the bidding process is that fans/players/staff of all teams taking part will be allowed in the country. South Korea had to guarantee they'd allow North Koreans in the country should they have qualified for example. The same goes for Israel at this tournament.

Safe to say that FIFA will hope they won't make it though...

Guest JTS98
17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

14 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The feasability of taking a month off work and travelling to another country. How was that ever for the average working person?

I was in Russia for the first ten days or so of the competition. Went to Moscow and then 2 games in Samara.

It was my first World Cup and I have to say that I was taken aback by how middle-class an event it was.

I met dozens of South Americans. All of them doctors, lawyers, accountants etc. Almost all of them spoke excellent English. This was a very wealthy and educated slither of their society. The normal supporters weren't there. Lots of middle-aged fans, middle-aged couples especially.

The same could be said for the Swedes and Danes and Serbs I spent time with. Relentlessly middle-class and usually middle-aged. I'm 33 and I felt young.

The only 'normal' seeming support I encountered was Australia. They were the only support where most of them seemed to actually attend football regularly and their support was relatively young.

Tournaments in mainland central Europe will have a different demographic as it's easier for many supports to get there, but Russia was a middle-class, middle-aged World Cup.

11 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I was in Russia for the first ten days or so of the competition. Went to Moscow and then 2 games in Samara.

It was my first World Cup and I have to say that I was taken aback by how middle-class an event it was.

I met dozens of South Americans. All of them doctors, lawyers, accountants etc. Almost all of them spoke excellent English. This was a very wealthy and educated slither of their society. The normal supporters weren't there. Lots of middle-aged fans, middle-aged couples especially.

The same could be said for the Swedes and Danes and Serbs I spent time with. Relentlessly middle-class and usually middle-aged. I'm 33 and I felt young.

The only 'normal' seeming support I encountered was Australia. They were the only support where most of them seemed to actually attend football regularly and their support was relatively young.

Tournaments in mainland central Europe will have a different demographic as it's easier for many supports to get there, but Russia was a middle-class, middle-aged World Cup.

people I know whove been to world cups said that was always the Brazilian demographic. though as someone has said,its hardly a surprise when you consider the cost and commitment of going to another continent for a month