Qatar 2022

bairney

On 31/10/2019 at 09:19, Tarmo Kink said:

The 60,000 seater Al Bayt Stadium in the city of Al Khor is nearing completion. IMG_0211.jpg

This will be the second biggest stadium at Qatar 2022 behind the 86,000 seater Lusail Iconic Stadium being built as part of the newly built city Lusail.

Is that exterior what it'll look like long-term?  Looks like a shit circus tent

Is that exterior what it'll look like long-term?  Looks like a shit circus tent

The capacity is being reduced afterwards, but I believe the tent is staying. It’s supposed to represent some tents that some nomadic group from Qatar used back in the day.

It’s also doubling up as a hotel, where you can apparently have a balcony view of matches.

The 60,000 seater Al Bayt Stadium in the city of Al Khor is nearing completion. IMG_0211.thumb.jpg.1a0fcb4527d56966c55b4819757722cf.jpg

This will be the second biggest stadium at Qatar 2022 behind the 86,000 seater Lusail Iconic Stadium being built as part of the newly built city Lusail.
"In the city..." you sound like one of those pro-Kingsford Dons fans.

You just know that, despite the horrors that have gone in to making this tournament happen, on the opening day one of the commentators will utter the line, "well, it's been controversial, but it was all worthwhile"  :barf

Great night at Bukit Jalil as Malaysia put themselves back in contention with a 2-1 win over Thailand. Indonesia up next on Tuesday night, can't wait for that one.

UAE lost in Vietnam tonight too, so Vietnam are top with ten points, then Thailand, UAE and Malaysia on 7, 6, 6 and Indonesia with 0.

Group shaping up nicely. Malaysia v Indonesia and Vietnam v Thailand on Tuesday. Must-win for Malaysia, but that's a huge win tonight.

9 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Great night at Bukit Jalil as Malaysia put themselves back in contention with a 2-1 win over Thailand. Indonesia up next on Tuesday night, can't wait for that one.

UAE lost in Vietnam tonight too, so Vietnam are top with ten points, then Thailand, UAE and Malaysia on 7, 6, 6 and Indonesia with 0.

Group shaping up nicely. Malaysia v Indonesia and Vietnam v Thailand on Tuesday. Must-win for Malaysia, but that's a huge win tonight.

Well done. You deserved it. Thought Thailand were very poor. Chanathip Songkrasin, who usually pulls the strings for us, never got in the game.  Malaysia caused us lots of problems with their 2 wide players.  We have to go to Vietnam as you said and get something which will be very tough.  I expect you to beat Indonesia, they are pretty dug shite.

All the best.

Did you have your little glow stick to wave at the end?

Edited by SlipperyP

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Well done. You deserved it. Thought Thailand were very poor. Chanathip Songkrasin, who usually pulls the strings for us, never got in the game.  Malaysia caused us lots of problems with their 2 wide players.  We have to go to Vietnam as you said and get something which will be very tough.  I expect you to beat Indonesia, they are pretty dug shite.

All the best.

Did you have your little glow stick to wave at the end?

I think Thailand showed some real naivety last night. They were completely controlling the game at 1-0 and Malaysia were posing no threat. But then Thailand started getting involved with the petty time-wasting at Malaysia free-kicks. For those that didn't see the game this was still early in the first half. That only served to rile up the crowd and get Malaysia more fired up. Thailand did the opposite of what they should have done in that they put needle into a game they were in control of. Really stupid, and from that point on the game got away from them.

The lights at the end are the torches on people's phones. I'll be fucked if I even know how to turn mine on.

It's certainly an interesting group now. Hard to call where it goes from here. Still think Malaysia are a long shot. Thailand look a better side to me and I think they just blew it last night by being immature. They'll learn from that and I'd back them to win the return game. Malaysia lack quality compared to what I've seen from the others, but they've shown that if teams open the door for them, they can punish them.

Can't wait for Tuesday. 40,000 last night and obviously Indonesia is a bigger game for the locals. That put together with last night's win should mean a right good crowd at Bukit Jalil on Tuesday. And I've got the week off work.

36 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think Thailand showed some real naivety last night. They were completely controlling the game at 1-0 and Malaysia were posing no threat. But then Thailand started getting involved with the petty time-wasting at Malaysia free-kicks. For those that didn't see the game this was still early in the first half. That only served to rile up the crowd and get Malaysia more fired up. Thailand did the opposite of what they should have done in that they put needle into a game they were in control of. Really stupid, and from that point on the game got away from them.

The lights at the end are the torches on people's phones. I'll be fucked if I even know how to turn mine on.

It's certainly an interesting group now. Hard to call where it goes from here. Still think Malaysia are a long shot. Thailand look a better side to me and I think they just blew it last night by being immature. They'll learn from that and I'd back them to win the return game. Malaysia lack quality compared to what I've seen from the others, but they've shown that if teams open the door for them, they can punish them.

Can't wait for Tuesday. 40,000 last night and obviously Indonesia is a bigger game for the locals. That put together with last night's win should mean a right good crowd at Bukit Jalil on Tuesday. And I've got the week off work.

Thailand shqt the bed. they don this on many auctions when needing a result. Last night was the first time every I;ve seen them playing a long b all down the flances, this is all mto do with the nw Japan management. 

Play to their strengths, their ni 10. is the man, give the fucking ball simple shit

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TheJTS98

Interesting story brewing in Norway where there seems to be growing support for the country to boycott the 2022 World Cup.

Tromso, Brann, Odd, Stromsgodset, Viking, and now Rosenborg have all backed the idea and it seems more clubs will follow.

In the case of Rosenborg, the club leadership were against a boycott, but the membership voted it through regardless. Apparently the Norwegian FA works in a similar way, so it may be technically possible for the FA to be bullied towards this. Would be fascinating to see how they responded to that.

3 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Interesting story brewing in Norway where there seems to be growing support for the country to boycott the 2022 World Cup.

Tromso, Brann, Odd, Stromsgodset, Viking, and now Rosenborg have all backed the idea and it seems more clubs will follow.

In the case of Rosenborg, the club leadership were against a boycott, but the membership voted it through regardless. Apparently the Norwegian FA works in a similar way, so it may be technically possible for the FA to be bullied towards this. Would be fascinating to see how they responded to that.

We should do the same. Neither of us are going anyway, so get in now before it looks like an empty gesture.

FIFA have awarded the World Cup to some awful regimes over the decades. I think it might actually have been policy to give it to dictatorships, as they know how to get the job done, no matter the consequences.

Guest TheJTS98
26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We should do the same. Neither of us are going anyway, so get in now before it looks like an empty gesture.

FIFA have awarded the World Cup to some awful regimes over the decades. I think it might actually have been policy to give it to dictatorships, as they know how to get the job done, no matter the consequences.

I was curious as to whether this would come up.

Football seems to exist in a moral vacuum, but here we have the conflation of the standard obvious corruption of World Cup host selection with the reality of lots of people actually dying and working in dreadful conditions to make it happen. Reassuring that it's at least being talked about.

To be honest, I'd support Scotland pulling out. Not going to happen though. There'd be a lot of opposition to it, and I doubt the players would support the idea, which is understandable. Also political considerations come into it as well as the issue of what sanctions - if any - would be imposed by FIFA if any country openly said they didn't want to play in the tournament based on ethics.

Norway going through with this would be newsworthy and to many admirable. But for real significance it would have to be a proper big hitter, and that's not going to happen for a whole host of commercial and political reasons.