Qatar 2022

bairney

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

That’s surprising, thought they would have a few players overseas with parental rights that could play, like most international teams do. Thanks though 👍

Looks like they do, just a shame they are a bit shit.  This is one of their recent call ups...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahis_Nabi

Bit like old times for Australia meeting Chinese Taipei or Taiwan as they were known. They met each other in Oceania qualifiers for the 1978, 1982 and 1986 World Cups. They were placed in Oceania so PR China wouldn't go in the huff.  First time meeting between Australia and Nepal though.

A few interesting match ups there! Group C and D have potential too...
Is it a big surprise that Pakistan didn’t qualify? I’m not clued up on Asian football at all but I would’ve thought they’d be able to put a decent team out.

Football within Pakistan has been a bit of a mess past few years. FA was suspended by FIFA at tailend of 2017 until March following year & has had several corruption scandals along with rival factions going to court in a power struggle. The mentioned resulted in the countries domestic league not operating between 15-16 & 17-18 although it's now back up and running. The country is ranked 205th in world rankings, 46th aka last in Asian rankings & last within the SAFF region which is the weakest of the AFC regions.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

That’s surprising, thought they would have a few players overseas with parental rights that could play, like most international teams do. Thanks though 👍

They're certainly not helped by the fact that British football, English football in particularly, is massively underachieving in terms of bringing through Asian talent. I think Neil Taylor is the only player of sub-continental descent to play international football for one of the Home Nations. 

If more players were to come through, Pakistan and India would improve. Still, both should be producing much more talent than they do anyway, given their populations. Being cricket mad isn't much of an excuse when you think of how many sports Brits, French, Americans, Aussies and so on are into, and they all do much better at football. 

I've no idea why they have been so rubbish for so long, or what the solution is. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They're certainly not helped by the fact that British football, English football in particularly, is massively underachieving in terms of bringing through Asian talent. I think Neil Taylor is the only player of sub-continental descent to play international football for one of the Home Nations. 

If more players were to come through, Pakistan and India would improve. Still, both should be producing much more talent than they do anyway, given their populations. Being cricket mad isn't much of an excuse when you think of how many sports Brits, French, Americans, Aussies and so on are into, and they all do much better at football. 

I've no idea why they have been so rubbish for so long, or what the solution is. 

India will have more of a chance to improve in the near future. A decent organisation of football is finally getting off the ground there a bit. Football is very popular there, not as much as cricket, but popular enough for a country with that population to grow to at least being a decent side in Asia on a permanent basis. Although also amongst British Indians there are very few decent football players at the moment in the UK.

You'd think countries with the populations of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh would be able to find 11 men at least reasonably capable of kicking a football around. I know football isn't the (or even *a*) main sport for any of them, but still. Surely every country has people who obsess over niche sports.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:45, Marten said:

North Korea and South Korea in the same group. :)

Two countries still officially at war, yet UEFA separates Gibraltar and Spain.

Not that many years ago only a couple of Indians had played abroad and those were at Barnsley + DC United, IIRC.

Two countries still officially at war, yet UEFA separates Gibraltar and Spain. 

Not that many years ago only a couple of Indians had played abroad and those were at Barnsley + DC United, IIRC.

There was Bhaichung Bhutia who spent five years with Bury in early 2000's & is regarded as the country's best ever player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CAF's lowest ranked team Somalia (202) beat Zimbabwe (112) 1-0 last night. Zimbabwe are the highest ranked team at this stage of CAF qualifying. This is Somalia's first win in any qualifying since beating Kenya in 1984.

Is there a list of teams that have never won competitively?
Tried Google and my favourite twitter but didnt get a full list unless I started looking through each tournament maybe.

Is there a list of teams that have never won competitively?
Tried Google and my favourite twitter but didnt get a full list unless I started looking through each tournament maybe.
I believe San Marino is only one. They have amassed a solitary win overall beating Liechenstein in a 2004 friendly.

Kiribati have never won a game. They've only played 11 games in their history. Closest was losing on penalties to Tuvalu at the Pacific Games 1979, after drawing 3-3. Niue have only ever played 2 games, at that tournament in 1983, and lost them 0-14 and 0-19. Federated States of Micronesia haven't won since beating Northern Marianas 7-0 in the Micronesian Cup 1999. However they aren't FIFA members = no WC qualifiers.

Famously back in 2002 on the same day as the World Cup Final in Japan the "Other Final" between the 2 lowest-ranked nations in the world Bhutan and Montserrat was played. Bhutan won 4-0... their first victory in 15yrs of trying... and have won 6 games in the 17yrs since. Montserrat had beaten Anguilla back in 1995 - and have hardly lost in the last few years.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Kiribati have never won a game. They've only played 11 games in their history. Closest was losing on penalties to Tuvalu at the Pacific Games 1979, after drawing 3-3. Niue have only ever played 2 games, at that tournament in 1983, and lost them 0-14 and 0-19. Federated States of Micronesia haven't won since beating Northern Marianas 7-0 in the Micronesian Cup 1999. However they aren't FIFA members = no WC qualifiers.

Famously back in 2002 on the same day as the World Cup Final in Japan the "Other Final" between the 2 lowest-ranked nations in the world Bhutan and Montserrat was played. Bhutan won 4-0... their first victory in 15yrs of trying... and have won 6 games in the 17yrs since. Montserrat had beaten Anguilla back in 1995 - and have hardly lost in the last few years.

Having watched the EAFF East Asian Cup quite a lot, I’m surprised the Northern Mariana Islands aren’t winless to be honest. Regularly losing to teams like Guam, Taiwan, Macau and Mongolia fairly convincingly and don’t play in much else. The only win I can see was over Macau in 2015.