Qatar 2022

bairney

There should not be a WC that doesn't feature a couple of late kick off times. This is why I loved the 02 WC. 

Give me a 9pm kickoff anyday. I'd be all over that shit. Can we expect this in 2026?!

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

There should not be a WC that doesn't feature a couple of late kick off times. This is why I loved the 02 WC. 

Give me a 9pm kickoff anyday. I'd be all over that shit. Can we expect this in 2026?!

This. This World Cup has irked me with all games done by 9pm (other than the ET).  That is just inconsiderate as the drink is usually just kicking in by then and 9pm kick offs would be super.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Weren't the games in 2002 really early in the morning? Like 6am then 9am or are you talking about local time?

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Weren't the games in 2002 really early in the morning? Like 6am then 9am or are you talking about local time?

I remember a few very late KO's but I could be completely wrong. It was 16 year ago ffs. 

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Late kick-off times for who though?  Your 8pm is my 4am. 

The KO times should be what works in  the host country,  nothing else can work. 

14 hours ago, Marten said:

I just read that the next World Cup final will be in a city that doesn't exist yet... It's being built currently.

They're trying (and failing) to use lots of recycled concrete in the construction work as well.

In case anyone is interested.

On 15/07/2018 at 23:56, Distant Doonhamer said:

Qatar going down the "new town" route?

A sort of Qatari Cumbernauld.

They've done it wrong in Cumbernauld. They first built the town and later the football ground. They should first have built a football ground & let a club play there. The town around it would come eventually...

Edited by Marten

The kick-off times were shite for me this time around.  A few of the early games I managed to catch with some creative holidays and working from home, but the 4pm one was always difficult (picking the wee one up from nursery on days I was at home, and right across the commute when I wasn't).  The 7pm one was almost as bad, missing the first half most nights, again because of the wee one.  So basically, in hindsight don't have kids the year before a Russian World Cup.

I'm dreading having a World Cup in a proper shit timezone.  Qatar might not be so bad the way it's shaping up - 3 hours is not so bad, and I expect they'll shift things around to make it more "Western-friendly" anyway.  The US one will likely be much worse with at least five hours difference.  Presumably they'll try and schedule West Coast games for "early" in the day, but we're bound to get a few really late/early starts, at least in the group stage.  Should all be done on GMT.  b*****ds.

On Qatar itself, for the tournament I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens.  It shouldn't be there, but nothing is going to change now.  May as well see what the billions and billions they'll throw at it can achieve.  Plus a Winter World Cup means it'll be similarly interesting to see what batshit stuff the football world comes up with to get around it.

Edited by forameus

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Late kick-off times for who though?  Your 8pm is my 4am. 

The KO times should be what works in  the host country,  nothing else can work. 

We were in Yekaterinburg by the time Russia reached the quarter finals. Due to the size of Russia the 7pm game you watched kicked off at 11pm there and even later in a good proportion of Russia. I would say the times were just about right when we were in Moscow with 5pm and 9pm kick offs in the knock out phase.

Not that the 11pm start bothered the locals, the fan fest was rammed. The street cleaners still started work at midnight and were cleaning up around you as the game went on. 

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:44, welshbairn said:

Saudi and most of the Gulf states other than Qatar would be more concerned about playing Iran than Israel these days.

Iran will bring a massive support as well, they did travel in numbers to Russia and I'd love to go to one of their games in 2022.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:32, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, another poster made the (good) point that the World Cup is becoming increasingly middle class and more and more expensive.

Can you imagine the cost of following a team in this World Cup?!

Possibly a lot less than this one

The distances between venues were massive, the number of times tickets were available via the FIFA resale site and we were too far away to go was frustrating

For this one we intend to hire an apartment for a month and travel day by day.