Durham Miners' Gala - The Big Meeting

Anybody else going this weekend? The biggest Trade Union event in the country, and a great display of Working Class organisation in the beautiful setting of the Land of the Prince Bishops. Quick check on thetrainline shows you can get the full day out (including Billy Brag playing live) for 27 quid return from Edinburgh. Plenty of marching bands, fabulous banners with a massive weight of history behind them, then the main speakers on the old racecourse. This year we have Jeremy Corbyn, Frances O'Grady, Dennis Skinner, Emily Thornberry, Ian Lavery, Jennie Formby, and  Matt Wrack (FBU). I've never met Jennie or Emily, but the others range from "shook hands at a rally" in the case of Jezza, through to the regular contact we have with Ian Lavery. 

This year, I've taken the possibly risky decision to go with a couple of Branch Committee members, lots of beer and barbie stuff and ONE tent (although it's a big'un). Normally it's just a day out for us, but we've decided to use the two night stay to increase our "networking". There's a festival ("People, Pits and Politics") going on today and tomorrow, which I'm sorry to be missing - we'd made our arrangements with work prior to finding out about this. 

One thing I always take from the Big Meeting is that when you see over a hundred thousand people united in a field, the idea that Trade Unionism is dead is shown to be the ridiculous slur we all know it is. 

Oh, and this year the loos appear to be a damn' sight closer to the stage than the hike we had last year. Major consideration, that, given the liquid intake forecast!

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Marching bands and a demonstration in recognition of representative democracy? Surely this is a must for Kincardine.

I really don't think it's Kincy's kinda thing, tbh - despite the amount of drink taken.

Archived