Southgate The Messiah to Southgate Must Go - How Long?

Possibly the first England manager it's been difficult/impossible to dislike, he's handled himself incredibly well and has done a remarkable job regardless of England's easy route - the English press though, one wee slip-up and it's about turn, we've all seen it before ... so how long before Gareth is getting hounded out of office ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win Euro 2020, and he will be given the chance to win WC 2022. Fail to win that, and he’s gone.

The “impossible to define” bit is who they are drawn against. Anybody decent, and they will of course, be beaten, and the clamours for Southgate to go will be immediate.

He'll be flavour of the month until they get a poor result, then the media will go to DEFCON3 and start preparing themselves for the about turn.  Add another poor result, up to DEFCON2, and the media ready themselves for war.  Everyone knows what comes after that.

Basically. the media will decide when they fancy a change, no matter how good a job he's doing.

Seems like a decent enough guy, pity about some of the players in the side. He'll cruise through qualifying for Euro 2020 before getting papped out in the quarter finals then will get a "last chance" at WC 2022, probably.

20 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

when they lose to us at hampden in the euro qualifiers , plastic  chairs will fly.

If they had won the World Cup, a 1967-esque win in the qualifiers would have been delicious.  I mean, it still will be, and I'll still be desperate to draw them, but still.

6 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

They've got Spain and Croatia home and away in the Nations League before the year is out. A poor showing in that would undo all the good will and then some.

I totally forgot about that thing - I assume STV will carry England's games home and away.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

So... let's just compare this.

Andy Murray, not English, level headed, a touch dour, but a complete winner - He's a miserable Scot

Gareth Southgate, English, level headed, a touch dour, not won anything - He's a legend.

Murray should start wearing waistcoats IMO.

The reality is that if a couple of Colombians had stuck away penalties, he'd have been hounded out by now.  

As is, he's regarded as a success, but that's pretty flimsy in truth.  I think he's a decent bloke, but I'm not convinced he's such a great manager.

England have got far enough for his job to be safe for a while.  In truth though, it's not really been a wildly successful campaign, despite its portrayal.

1 minute ago, lanky_ffc said:

Murray should start wearing waistcoats IMO.

I am no stranger to a waistcoat. Will happily wear one to work (I'm obviously not a builder or other such trade!), but the problem is that people will now think that I'm either copying him or picking up on what is trending.

Like all good memes, the minute anything hits mainstream it's already passed it's peak.

Guest JTS98
46 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

They've got Spain and Croatia home and away in the Nations League before the year is out. A poor showing in that would undo all the good will and then some.

Worth keeping in mind that England haven't won a competitive game against a good team since they beat Argentina in 2002.

Chances are Croatia and Spain will gub them, assuming they take it seriously.

I am no stranger to a waistcoat. Will happily wear one to work (I'm obviously not a builder or other such trade!)

Snooker player?

Edit - Southgate is a a decent lad but he seems tactically lacking and didn’t have a clue how to change things up once Modric started pulling the strings. He’s reliant on a fast start and hanging on in there (or playing against diddies). He’ll get a few months of goodwill but that will quickly recede once they get found out against the better sides.

Archived