France v Croatia - World Cup Final!

banana

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm almost disappointed this didn't happen. Building up the hype for a few more days before being utterly eviscerated by France would have been entertaining,

Me too, I've got English friends and was genuinely sorry to see them sad but the spanking would have to be GUARANTEED! as we all know what can happen with dodgy linesmen and/or incompetent refs.

Actually, they would have been even sadder to get hammered in the final , so fckm. :lol: Allez la France! 

and ffs Scotland, give us something to cheer in the Euros. :angry:

Can't agree that France have a duty to play more attractive football. They obviously have the players to play a much more aesthetic and attacking style and if it was a club side the criticism would be justified; in a 38 game season you can afford to lose a game here or there. But in a knockout tournament it's one slip and you're gone, so you play the style that gives you the greatest chance of success. France controlled the majority of matches and never really looked in danger of losing any of them, other than a spell in that mad Argentina match. 6/7 wins and 4 clean sheets tells it's own story.

Otherwise, a great tournament, didn't really want it to end, and Saints v East Fife on Saturday just didn't fill the void.

Didn't you???
I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's encounter, in international terms it reminded me of a plucky Iceland performance thwarting a very one-dimensional England!!!!

We were Iceland btw!!![emoji6]

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
Won’t be long until the Scottish Championship season starts.

Does that count as football when it involves United?

You are a cruel man.

Can't agree that France have a duty to play more attractive football. They obviously have the players to play a much more aesthetic and attacking style and if it was a club side the criticism would be justified; in a 38 game season you can afford to lose a game here or there. But in a knockout tournament it's one slip and you're gone, so you play the style that gives you the greatest chance of success. France controlled the majority of matches and never really looked in danger of losing any of them, other than a spell in that mad Argentina match. 6/7 wins and 4 clean sheets tells it's own story.
Think France only conceded two goals when they won it in 1998 too.

Kudos to Vlad for not giving a single f**k about anyone else on the podium staying dry.

Noticed that as well, he was well sorted as President "Stiff Nips" was getting drenched, but that just could be a Russian trait, self-concern and making sure you're alright will always look like bad manners, I remember being in a hotel in Egypt with a load of them and the daily brawls that ensued as the always skipped any queues at the bar or restaurants were always a cause for amusement!!!
But Vlad, that had to be a deliberate act for some reason before they relented and got more brollies!!!

4 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Noticed that as well, he was well sorted as President "Stiff Nips" was getting drenched, but that just could be a Russian trait, self-concern and making sure you're alright will always look like bad manners, I remember being in a hotel in Egypt with a load of them and the daily brawls that ensued as the always skipped any queues at the bar or restaurants were always a cause for amusement!!!
But Vlad, that had to be a deliberate act for some reason before they relented and got more brollies!!!

Best bit was the guy standing to the right(From the camera view, would be her left side...) of the Croat president. He was handed a brolly and held it over himself. Looked at her and then decided he wasn't sharing it.

22 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

This.  See also the desperate pointing at England's style of play.  It doesn't matter if you score a goal like Argentina's classic 4 million pass move, or have it hit off your arse and in, a goal is a goal.  It's nice for fans if you're served up an attractive game, but the teams should - and in France's case were - concerned with winning the game first and everything else second.  Croatia would have been a "nicer" winner with the way they've played, but they were forced to go the distance in all three of their knockout games, and could have easily gone out of the first two on penalties.  I missed the France/Argentina game (I know, of all the games to miss) but were they ever really in trouble there?  Outside of that game, they've largely strolled to the trophy.  I imagine any criticism of their play would yield a point to the trophy and a Gallic shrug.

43 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

you play the style that gives you the greatest chance of success. France controlled the majority of matches and never really looked in danger of losing any of them, other than a spell in that mad Argentina match. 6/7 wins and 4 clean sheets tells it's own story.

22 minutes ago, forameus said:

This.  See also the desperate pointing at England's style of play.  It doesn't matter if you score a goal like Argentina's classic 4 million pass move, or have it hit off your arse and in, a goal is a goal.  It's nice for fans if you're served up an attractive game, but the teams should - and in France's case were - concerned with winning the game first and everything else second.  Croatia would have been a "nicer" winner with the way they've played, but they were forced to go the distance in all three of their knockout games, and could have easily gone out of the first two on penalties.  I missed the France/Argentina game (I know, of all the games to miss) but were they ever really in trouble there?  Outside of that game, they've largely strolled to the trophy.  I imagine any criticism of their play would yield a point to the trophy and a Gallic shrug.

I totally agree that you play with the style that gives you the greatest chance of success - I just don't agree that the style Deschamps chose gave them the greatest chance. My objection isn't stylistic, it's tactical.

France have the players in the middle of the park to dominate almost every other team, and the approach that would have maximised their talents is that which Alex Ferguson favoured - impose yourself on the opposition, get control of the middle of the park, play with intensity on the front foot. Having Pogba scuttle side-to-side to shut down space for two-thirds of the match is such a waste of talent. 

By inviting the opposition onto you, you leave more to chance. The Argentina match is a great example. France snatched a goal against a truly terrible defensive set-up, then sat back. Argentina gleefully pounced on the space and time and scored two goals. France were then finally forced to play offensively, and utterly overwhelmed Argentina. If they'd played like that from the start they'd have been in much less danger of losing.

France were lucky against Uruguay, as Cavani was injured. Without him, Suarez was lost and Uruguay lacked a creative force than an inexperienced midfield couldn't replace. I'm not at all convinced that France would have beaten Uruguay if they'd had Cavani.

Martinez is tactically naive against a team of counter-punchers, he's too much of a purist and his teams are too open because they're too focussed on playing like 1978 Netherlands. France's set-up was right against Belgium and I don't have any criticism. Belgium were asking for it.

Against Croatia, it was dangerous to cede the middle of the pitch to Modric and Rakatic. Unlike Belgium, Croatia's attacking force starts from the back of midfield - like Italy with Pirlo. There were many balls over the top and through channels that were inches from creating great opportunities, while France's first two goals, which changed the entire context of the match, were incredibly lucky. Only in retrospect does it look like France were comfortable.

England are a different beast, they were workmanlike but Southgate played the tactics that got the best from the players he had. My problem with Deschamps - and France's problem with him - is that he doesn't. The general opinion before the tournament was that France had the right players but the wrong manager. It'll be interesting to see if that's totally washed away now.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

A final moan would be about the ceremony.  Politicians desperately trying to be part of the show. A shake of the hand at most if they have to be there. Reminds me of when St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup and Stewart Regan brought his wife on the pitch to make the presentation, someone has to keep their egos in check.

Couldn't agree more. Unless they're at the level of Nelson Mandela, get the politicians to feck. 

Just now, GordonS said:

I totally agree that you play with the style that gives you the greatest chance of success - I just don't agree that the style Deschamps chose gave them the greatest chance. My objection isn't stylistic, it's tactical.

They won the tournament.  Comfortably.  Ended up being a pretty great chance, regardless of how they played.

Best bit was the guy standing to the right(From the camera view, would be her left side...) of the Croat president. He was handed a brolly and held it over himself. Looked at her and then decided he wasn't sharing it.

Was that the speccy guy with the truly monumental combover???
His well groomed "do" was collapsing tremendously the harder the rain got!!![emoji23]

7 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a wee bit of everything.  

2010 and 2014 finals were snorefests. I know finals are usually tense affairs with no one wanting to make a mistake but yesterdays final was thoroughly entertaining. 

20 minutes ago, bairney said:

The comments section of that report paints a very different picture.

20 minutes ago, bairney said:

We don't need to win anything. There was a couple of stabbings on the day of the famous 2007 qualifier lose against Italy.
A few drinks and Scots go crazy.

21 minutes ago, bairney said:

Nobody died in any 'clashes'.  A guy dived into a shallow canal and broke his neck. Another crashed his motorbike whilst 'celebrating'.

The looting was opportunistic and could have happened anywhere. Maybe not in Falkirk.

:PNothing to loot. 

Archived