France v Croatia - World Cup Final!

banana

Noteable the tournament's more successful teams featured a physical presence in central attack, taking a couple of defenders out of the game and providing space for the ballers. All 4 semi finalists employed this tactic at some point. For this reason I think Giroud did a decent job, Deschamps seemed happy with his contribution even if internet hipsters weren't.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Noteable the tournament's more successful teams featured a physical presence in central attack, taking a couple of defenders out of the game and providing space for the ballers. All 4 semi finalists employed this tactic at some point. For this reason I think Giroud did a decent job, Deschamps seemed happy with his contribution even if internet hipsters weren't.

Good point, though I wonder how much of it was because there's a lack of really good forwards around, especially among European teams. Uruguay had more options and if Cavani hadn't been injured, leaving Suarez like a lost soul, I wonder if France would have even had made the semis.

Deschamps also made a choice to stick Mbappé out on the right wing and withdraw Griezmann when he could have played one or both more centrally, both of which I regard as shitfestery. He also left out Dembélé. Weaker teams are entitled to play like that, but sides with great players ought to play on the front foot. Everybody will say he got it right but I genuinely believe his squad were capable of more if he'd deployed them more offensively, and before the tournament that was the dominant view in France. Would France have won without the ref falling for a dive and awarding a dubious penalty? Those moments changed the game.

Anyway, lesson for Scotland is, bring back Steven Fletcher...

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I thought that was one of the best finals of recent times.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a wee bit of everything.  

On 30/06/2018 at 15:16, Jdog said:

Tipped France from the start, can't believe people were slating them in the group stage, they're playing this tournament like Champs, walked through the group stage then turn it on when it matters.

Just saying...

I loved this tournament, some great surprises. In the end, the best & most consistent team won. France might not play the most exciting football all the time, they are effective. And they're still much better to watch than plain boring (but effective) sides like Spain 2012 (and 2010/2008 to a lesser extend).

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Good point, though I wonder how much of it was because there's a lack of really good forwards around, especially among European teams. Uruguay had more options and if Cavani hadn't been injured, leaving Suarez like a lost soul, I wonder if France would have even had made the semis.

Deschamps also made a choice to stick Mbappé out on the right wing and withdraw Griezmann when he could have played one or both more centrally, both of which I regard as shitfestery. He also left out Dembélé. Weaker teams are entitled to play like that, but sides with great players ought to play on the front foot. Everybody will say he got it right but I genuinely believe his squad were capable of more if he'd deployed them more offensively, and before the tournament that was the dominant view in France. Would France have won without the ref falling for a dive and awarding a dubious penalty? Those moments changed the game.

Anyway, lesson for Scotland is, bring back Steven Fletcher...

Agree.  A team with that squad at its disposal playing a game of sitting behind the ball hitting on the counter is such a waste.  People will argue they won the tournament and that's all that matters, but I'd far rather have seen Croatia win the way they played.

Possibly sour grapes from me, but it does always feel like the big teams get the decisions in these games. It's similar to Real Madrid in the Champions League.  The free kick and penalty were very poor shouts for a game of that significance.

A final moan would be about the ceremony.  Politicians desperately trying to be part of the show. A shake of the hand at most if they have to be there. Reminds me of when St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup and Stewart Regan brought his wife on the pitch to make the presentation, someone has to keep their egos in check.

Otherwise, a great tournament, didn't really want it to end, and Saints v East Fife on Saturday just didn't fill the void.

46 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

A final moan would be about the ceremony.  Politicians desperately trying to be part of the show. A shake of the hand at most if they have to be there. Reminds me of when St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup and Stewart Regan brought his wife on the pitch to make the presentation, someone has to keep their egos in check.

With you 100% on all points but it was actually a bigger disgrace to Scottish football than Regan, Campbell Ogilvie, that did the honours and brought his wife along to dish out the runners up medals.

Tremendous end to a very entertaining World Cup.

Hard not to feel sympathy for Croatia, but France have  some utterly outstanding individuals and were probably the best team overall. Just a shame it took a couple of controversial decisions to get them ahead in the final.

Kudos to Vlad for not giving a single f**k about anyone else on the podium staying dry.

Croatia looked absolutely fucked to be fair.  They had played another 90 minutes of football through extra-time, with all the mental and physical stress that brings, and came up against a side that was fresher and ultimately better.  Don't think they can have any complaints about the defeat, nor about their own performance.  4-1 would have been harsh on them, and although 4-2 looks like a bit of a pumping, it wasn't.  

Special credit to the both of them for serving up the sort of final you want to see, rather than the traditional shitshow of two teams desperate not to lose.  And also credit for Lloris for seeing it was going that way, and going a bit Frank Spencer.

And also, if I was an England fan, I'd be quite happy in a way that they could exit the tournament pretty quietly.  Croatia put up a fight because they still had it in their legs.  England would have been absolutely dismantled had they stumbled past Croatia and faced that France side.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

And also, if I was an England fan, I'd be quite happy in a way that they could exit the tournament pretty quietly.  Croatia put up a fight because they still had it in their legs.  England would have been absolutely dismantled had they stumbled past Croatia and faced that France side.

I'm almost disappointed this didn't happen. Building up the hype for a few more days before being utterly eviscerated by France would have been entertaining,

32 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm almost disappointed this didn't happen. Building up the hype for a few more days before being utterly eviscerated by France would have been entertaining,

Nah.  Papped in the group stages is always the preferred outcome for me.  That way you get all the LOLZ plus the more jingoistic of the commentators are slightly less inclined to use the "but for..." excuses.

Archived