France v Croatia - World Cup Final!

banana

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocked and disgusted that Little Picky didn't win the Golden Glove.

Do we all agree Modric deserved the Balloon Dior?

There was no standout player for me. Lots of very good ones, but no Zidane or Maradona standouts.

4 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

There was no standout player for me. Lots of very good ones, but no Zidane or Maradona standouts.

Thought in the latter stages, Perisic was better, but Modric was fucking incredible for the majority. Don't think I'd argue with him getting it.

5 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Harry Maguire has been robbed of his rightful crown.

9 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I'd have given it to Mbappe but they were never going to give him young player and player. 

13 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I'd definitely go with a vote for Modric. Unassuming but Outstanding.

16 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

"handouts", Shirley?

Pogba, Modric or Varane probably deserve it over the course of the tournament. All three were excellent throughout.

I think Modric deserved it, he’s not a flashy player but I think he made the difference for Croatia in a number of games. He deserves it for having the balls to take (and score) a second penalty in the Denmark game after missing the first.

It’s not very often there’s a one man who pulls a team through a World Cup though. France were absolutely solid and grew as the tournament went on. The best team to have won the tournament since 1998 IMO.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Well that's just disgusting- I only Googled her to find out her policies. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Her manifesto is very much a two pronged strategy.

the fragrant ms sturgeon's should take a leaf out of Ruth Davidson's book - i believe her preferred policies are very much single-pronged

that'll be a single silicone prong, strapped to her partner....

I've seen it suggested that the better team lost, which I just don't buy at all. France appeared keen to invite Croatia onto them in the early stages of the match to play to their strengths on the counter, and combined with Croatia's aggressive start this meant a lot of the ball was spent in their half. 

They were unlucky with the free kick award (less so the penalty which I thought was silly from Perisic and a valid decision), but ultimately France's game plan picked them off with a couple of excellent counters. Although they were a bit shakier defensively than against Belgium, I never thought they would lose the match. 

21 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

the fragrant ms sturgeon's should take a leaf out of Ruth Davidson's book - i believe her preferred policies are very much single-pronged

that'll be a single silicone prong, strapped to her partner....

Just quoting this for posterity

Very harsh on Croatia probably marginally the better side and never a penalty in a thousand years.

Conceded two on the break as they're chasing the game, with competent refereeing they wouldn't have been in that position.  Deserved at least extra time and can feel very hard done by.

France have ten quality players and giroud.  Excellent pool of players to choose from the next few years.

2 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I've seen it suggested that the better team lost, which I just don't buy at all. France appeared keen to invite Croatia onto them in the early stages of the match to play to their strengths on the counter, and combined with Croatia's aggressive start this meant a lot of the ball was spent in their half. 

They were unlucky with the free kick award (less so the penalty which I thought was silly from Perisic and a valid decision), but ultimately France's game plan picked them off with a couple of excellent counters. Although they were a bit shakier defensively than against Belgium, I never thought they would lose the match. 

All about opinions obviously but I think suggesting that the first half somehow played out exactly as France planned is a pretty warped view of it. France were lucky to go in ahead. The free kick shouldn't have been given and as much as the Croatians could have defended it better, they were lucky it took a touch off Mandzukic. And, whether you think it should have been a penalty or not, it was still a bit of luck.

Croatia were the better team in the first half but France were better over the game.

Great final to watch to round off a brilliant World Cup. Thoroughly gutted it’s over.

On reflection France fully deserved the win. I thought Croatia were excellent in the first half. I don’t buy at all that France allowed them that first half. They looked a bit rattled and Croatia were brilliant.

However, it was a high energy game they were playing and they were never going to keep it up for the 90. They really needed to go into half time with a lead I felt.

I was really angry about the penalty. I was just gutted that it was such a significant part of a WC final. I’m of the view it was never a penalty in a million years. Others feel differently but I defy anyone to be able to say with any certainty that it was deliberate handball. I really felt for Croatia over it.

Second half though I thought Croatia looked very leggy. When you look back other than the goal (which was hardly a chance created), how much did they actually create despite having decent possession. I thought France were in full control 2nd half.

Croatia final ball was horrendous, a lot of what seemed like hopeful crosses into the box but often only mandzukic was actually in there. French 2nd half goals were brilliant it has to be said.

Well done France. Scary how young that team is too. Croatia were magnificent to a man certainly first half and really, really enjoyed it.

Archived