France v Croatia - World Cup Final!

banana

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Croatia look a little un-confident in games but grow into them. if they can avoid being blown away by the French in the first half they'll give a decent account of themselves I think.

no idea who I want to win, itll be great just not seeing england

This is a complete guess as obviously I'm no expert on Croatian football, but I think I'm right to assume Croatian youth football has some pretty decent coaches? 

40 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This is a complete guess as obviously I'm no expert on Croatian football, but I think I'm right to assume Croatian youth football has some pretty decent coaches? 

I'm no expert on the matter, but Croatia seem to have a good youth set-up.

I'm not saying that Scotland can reach the World Cup final, Croatia needed some luck with the draw after all, but it's not too far fetched to say that Scotland shouldn't be that far behind them. There is more money in the game here, higher attendances & Scotland is (slightly) bigger. The difference is that Croatia is actually properly organised...

10 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Bet France before any of this started, so expect Croatia to win on penalties.

Yeah I'm the same, had money on France from the start but would be happy to see the Croats become world champions.

Hopefully it's an entertaining game like the France Belgium semi.

They stuffed the disappointing Argentina in the groups but Croatia's problem could be that they had the easy half of the draw and haven't played any decent teams to get to the Final. 

I'm not saying that Scotland can reach the World Cup final, Croatia needed some luck with the draw after all, but it's not too far fetched to say that Scotland shouldn't be that far behind them. There is more money in the game here, higher attendances & Scotland is (slightly) bigger. The difference is that Croatia is actually properly organised...
Mate we haven't even qualified for a major tournament in 20yrs. f**k the SFA, they have done nothing, a bunch of protected failures. Alex fuckin McLeish. Football is by far the biggest sport in our country. People protesting against Trump??? We should be banging done the doors of Hampden and not on match day.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

2 hours ago, Marten said:

It appears some of the clubs have excellent coaching setups. Dinamo Zagreb in particular seem to have produced a remarkable amount of top level talent for a club that is in a similar boat to Celtic (ie regular league champions and semi-regular CL group qualifiers), but with inferior finances.

Their FA seem to be an utter shambles though. There's a lot of resentment from the fans over alleged corruption within their domestic game, so it seems like they're thriving in spite of the national setup, not because of it.

ETA: Just had a glance at the wiki page for their academy and 7 of their notable graduates are in the current World Cup squad.

Let's not turn this thread into another moaning about the SFA. Croatia produce some remarkable players and presumably have some very good  youth coaches but their FA is far more incompetent and corrupt than ours.

Delighted with this final, probably my two favourite teams heading into it. Edging towards France as favourites and my preferred winners but just after a good game.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, Marten said:

Mate we haven't even qualified for a major tournament in 20yrs. f**k the SFA, they have done nothing, a bunch of protected failures. Alex fuckin McLeish. Football is by far the biggest sport in our country. People protesting against Trump??? We should be banging done the doors of Hampden and not on match day.

Couldn't agree more tbh. In Scotland there is generally just a defeatist attitude of "we're shit, we need to accept that". The first part of that statement is true, absolutely no doubt about that. But accept it? There is no reason we should be this shit with the resources, finance & support in the game here. We should be in the category of the likes of Denmark, Sweden and Croatia: qualifying most of the time (but not always), the odd awful blip and the odd great performance (Croatia 2018 / Denmark 1992). The fact that we aren't in that categorie, and haven't been for a long time, means tough questions need to be asked.

The same with England really. Yes, they do qualify nearly every time, but a country with 10x the population of Scotland should be expected to do much better. With the money in the game & the popularity there, they should really be in the same category as Germany in terms of getting far in tournaments & amount of trophies, rather than being over the moon by reaching a semi final after beating Panama, Tunisia, Colombia & Sweden. 

France were extremely impressive against a top quality Belgian side and with their power and pace throughout the team I just can't see anything other than a French victory.

There's also the fact that Croatia have played one hell of a lot more football in a short space of time and with a limited amount of players, as their reserve strength is nothing like the quality at France's disposal, I also fear the lack of pace in the Croatia side will turn out to be a problem and this will just prove to be a bridge too far.

Whatever happens, Thanks Croatia for letting me relax and enjoy the last few matches, safe in the knowledge that it's NOT "coming home".......................

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Would a wee skinny Scottish guy who looked like Modric even get a youth team in Scotland?
He would probably be told to gtf and come back when he put on 2 stone, grown 5 inches and he can run the channels.

he would probably get told to go home and play xbox,  flamengo  saw the potential with  zico signed him and built him up a bit as he was a bit thin, the rest is history

france  are going to collapse take huffs with each other and modic/rakatic/peresic/mandzukic  will run riot , corluka/vida/lovren will have mbappe in their back pockets , giroud will f**k everything up, 4-1 croatia, and a french player getting sent off with 15 minutes to go

You'd think Croatia must be dead on their feet by now, but who knows. 

France are definite favourites but they froze against Portugal two years ago and it wouldn't be a total surprise to see them do so again tomorrow.

Archived