Will Scotland ever be good again?

Guest bernardblack

I think whilst we have people/pundits/experts giving Gordon pelters on Friday for giving the ball to McGinn, after he asked for it to be given it.....just because it was in our own half....then no

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

What’s the correct way to train young players?

To defend better, to be better off the ball, attack with more precision. I'm not the expert here, c**t, but it's clear we're not doing it right

How is that clear? Do you watch a lot of youth football?

To defend better, to be better off the ball, attack with more precision. I'm not the expert here, c**t, but it's clear we're not doing it right

No need to call me a c**t, but hey ho........it’s clear “we’re not doing it right” or we were not doing it right? I’m more inclined to think it was option 2.

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The technique of our players, as well as the mentality, game and tactical awareness and athletic conditioning is way behind so many countries.

These are facts. 

They are indeed.  It's glaring when you see teams like Lithuania and Georgia - our traditional bogey-teams - look far more technically proficient, despite still being worse teams overall.  They never used to have that, and we used to beat them.  Now they've improved that aspect of our game, and we've stayed static.  

3 hours ago, forameus said:

They are indeed.  It's glaring when you see teams like Lithuania and Georgia - our traditional bogey-teams - look far more technically proficient, despite still being worse teams overall.  They never used to have that, and we used to beat them.  Now they've improved that aspect of our game, and we've stayed static.  

The last time we played them we absolutely destroyed them 3-0.

We aren't very good, yes. We're pretty bang average, which is where we probably should be, considering our population. Will we ever be good again? Maybe, maybe not. Looking at our under 21s, we look promising, but that's all. IMO we're starting to produce more exciting prospects than what we were 20 years ago, and that's a positive at least. 

23 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Ah right, so you see the players who were coached at youth level 5-20 years ago?

Tbf i live across from a park where youth teams play and train. Often see them out training, which consists of them standing ten yards from each other in pairs and passing to each other with their strong foot for ten minutes, before they do some laps around the pitch and have a game which descends into a melee after a few minutes with a crowd hunting the ball in unison. 

Haven't seen anything more technical than that. Think it's an U14 or U12 team. 

Surely that's not a good sign? 

Fwiw I'd add that Saints revitalised their youth team six years ago and its only over the past season that the first team has started to witness the benefits. Assume you'd be looking at a larger time frame for International football, so any progress in youth coaching could take 8-10 years to show. Makes this constant "rip it up and start again" process we have regularly a bit silly, no process gets a real chance so coaches just revert to the easiest way. 

Tbf i live across from a park where youth teams play and train. Often see them out training, which consists of them standing ten yards from each other in pairs and passing to each other with their strong foot for ten minutes, before they do some laps around the pitch and have a game which descends into a melee after a few minutes with a crowd hunting the ball in unison. 
Haven't seen anything more technical than that. Think it's an U14 or U12 team. 
Surely that's not a good sign? 

I’m horrified to read that RandomGuy but I can assure you, due to my own experiences, that’s not reflective of what is going on across the country as a whole.

11 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I’m horrified to read that RandomGuy but I can assure you, due to my own experiences, that’s not reflective of what is going on across the country as a whole.

It absolutely is.  Ross County's under 14s play games on full size pitches, sometimes on the actual pitch at Victoria Park (and the club seems to promote that as a positive thing!).  They run around like a bunch of mini  Kenny Millers, unsurprisingly.  Celtic and Rangers - and presumably most other teams - still reject players for being too small, and pick them depending on which month they were born.  Youth Development is in an absolute state in this country.  

It's also not unsurprising when you consider that the Under 21s seem to do something fairly similar, and when you consider Malky Mackay is ultimately responsible for Project Fear/Brave.

Just to be clear I was on about a independent youth team, not the youth team of a professional club. 

I don't know which avenue is the easier for children to get involved with. 

I think whilst we have people/pundits/experts giving Gordon pelters on Friday for giving the ball to McGinn, after he asked for it to be given it.....just because it was in our own half....then no
This.

It's depressing that one of our most promising players has such lax technique that he coughed up that goal and gave away possession in critical areas twice against Albania. Scottish football papers over the cracks of our terrible technical ability with loads of running, tackling, aggression and enthusiasm - in which John McGinn excels. I watch a fair amount of under 20s and out of all the clubs I've seen I'd say only Accies, Hibs and Celtic are doing things right. The rest seem to believe that the secret of great coaching is shouting.

The technical ability of younger players coming through in my opinion is improving. Look at Tierney Robertson gilmour johnstone Cochrane. Even soutter and McKenna are better on the ball that many of the centre backs we have had over last 10-15 years. Think the futures bright but I’m an optimist.