Will Scotland ever be good again?

On 07/09/2018 at 22:33, Monkey Tennis said:

He's simply making a general point about society being more fragmented with less influence today from the institutions that once provided some unity.

I think it's a reasonable factor to list among several others.

No it isn’t.

Yes.
Ever is a long long time. We've been good before and we can be good again. Not with McLeish on charge though.

This, though I’d extend it beyond McLeish to basically all of those in post because they are friends with those in the SFA and they need the money, rather than because they are the best person for the job.

Belgium was at this same point around 2010. I think what you need to accept is that once you slide down this far, you cannot hope to fix it in one qualifying cycle. You need slow, incremental progress. We went from not even be close to qualifying for World Cup 2010 to almost getting the play-off spot for Euro 2012 to qualifying as group winners for World Cup 2014.

But you can't go straight from abject failure to success.

We need to make ourselves hard to beat first, I don't get why mcleish is trying to play a passing game against one of the best teams in the world we just don't have the quality of players to do that against Belgium, we need to pick and choose when to try to be more open (ie against Albania) and when to sit deep and counter attack.